DCS localization effort

Renato71

Have you tried to use characters like: č, ć, đ, ž? Although localized strings are in UTF-8; it seems that fonts, used in game, aren't.

"Remotely controlled testing" was somewhat clumbsy as my coleague had to change some regional settings, offten breaking the connection in the course (he is also not to profficient with PCs), but it is possible to display ŠĐČĆŽ in utf-8. It looks like about everything will be possible to localize, maybe even the ABRIS? Hard to say and hate the guessing games. I'm waiting for my DCS to arrive so I could check all that by myself. Already bought 2 kilos of finest coffee :D

I'm selling MiG-21 activation key.

Also selling Suncom F-15E Talon HOTAS with MIDI connectors, several sets.

Contact via PM.

Hmh, I'm not sure as I was handed only MO files that, after converting back and forth, I send back for few snapshots. No sense int doing anything else without DCS. I have no clue about font definitions, apart that there are "about 50 fonts" (?!?). But, what did help was when I instructed him to change font for non-unicode characters in Regional Settings. This also works with some other apps, and strangely it had to be changed for Russian FC, or I would not be able to start it.

In case of my localization of FC, I used both availabe options: changing the font configuration into Windows font, and editing TGA file. I've described the result here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=18912

I was "lucky" as I was able to insert all CRO specific characters over few existing and regular Russian chars. TGA's had empty placeholders, but I was not that good with programming as to tweak FC into reading new slots.

Contact via PM.

I've narrowed the problem a bit. Unicode works fine in menu, mission editor and etc., but has problems in game (flight). In game confirmation box'es and radio menu don't show other than pure latin or cyrillic characters. Also, multiplayer menu appears to have the same problem too.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

• ED Team

While myself and Eagle will not pursue legal action by modifying files of code to add languages, please do not have such discussions and any links to such files on the Eagle forums. Like the simple change of renaming a folder, this makes it more appealing to western consumers to download the Russian version and bypass the western version when it is released. This would put Eagle in a very bad relationship with our western distributors and jeopardize the DCS series. As such, Eagle cannot allow such discussion on our own forums.

You are of course welcome to translate any documentation you wish.

I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks, Wags!

We will fully respect you decision. No need to create problems while we are trying to help. Thats the worst kind of predicament - like taking old ladies over the street, but not looking left or right :D

OK, I've added info for Thai (Leafer) and Lithuanian (ZaltysZ). That's 6 teams so far :thumbup:

Further discussion about this project will be continued on Croatian LO/DCS Support forum, where I created a section on DCS Localization. We will post info about results only here, and individual expansion language packs will be released on websites accoring to translator/team wishes. Naturally, each team can post website link (not a link to a file!!! just as a newsflash) at any time.

Contact via PM.

I could do the Norwegian version, if it's necessary. However, I believe Norwegians prefer English text, at least when it comes to aviation.

Due to my lack of time nowadays, I can't guarantee anything, but I will at least give it a shot if you guys want me to.

(the manual is a no-go, it will only be for the GUI, if anything at all ;) )

my mail : davgab _AT_ gmail _DOT_ com

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Great to hear from you d0ppler :)

Well, most of the people in contact with aeronautics prefer English, but there is plenty of room for "mother tongue" :D Don't foget that we found out how to localize complete GUI (dicsussed on above mentioned forum, not here), and there is a a full manual to translate.

Don't worry about the lack of time. Just showing up your interest could help you to get together with your countrymen, and teamwork is most motivating :)

Contact via PM.

Mainly for translators, here are Word versions. I've converted PDF to a Word files using Solid Converter PDF v4. Layout is excellent, but all bookmarks are missing, meaning you cannot click an item in the Content in order to jump to a corresponding article. Other apps that I've tried and that can preserve bookmarks - cannot preserve the layout and text properly.

Flight manual - Word

GUI manual - Word

As it would be much easier to keep track, we should have HTML version. Currently, when I save with Word 2000 (do not have other version), HTML istelf is 20 MB, and pics are 70 MB. This is a product of extremely "dirty" HTML created by Word 2000, and is unacceptable for web. I ask kindly anyone with newer Word to convert above DOC files into HTML, or to created directly from PDFs. Or if onyone can suggest tested utility for html code cleaning.

Also, HTML will have to be split into chapters and bookmarks will have to be re-inserted, to resemble this page:

http://lockonhr.com/flightmanual/index.htm

As for our progress, we are able to succefully replace Russian lang with others (still haven't discovered how to add a new lang to existing list), ZaltysZ is making excellent progress with TGA fonts that include various language-specific characters, Boberros is also doing fine with cockpit editing (translating) and various research. Dedicated project page on SourceForge will be opened soon :)

Contact via PM.

Hi all,

New centralized project on SourceForge is created:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dcsl10n/

More info and screenshots will follow shortly.

We made some very fast progress with Croatian and Polish, here is one example in Croatian. Complete GUI is translated and is undergoing testing. Buttons can be resized and it will be done soon :)

See first post for info on localization teams.

Scr_08-11-14_17-09-61.thumb.png.2d2b40311bb7cb3aa9ce5db9617053c7.png

Contact via PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to one more crucial effort by ZaltysZ, now it is possible for us to expand the list of available cockpit languages!

His work enabled additional cockpit lang for cockpit tooltips (hints). I hope that soon we will be able to actually add NEW language to i10n folder, instead of currect replacement of Russian with own lang.

See attached screenie and our forum:

Cockpit language

... and give ZaltysZ some kudoz (any post from above).

As for other developments, Croatian GUI is finished, most of Polish is done by Boberro, and he also translated most of the missions to Polish.

Cheers!

index.thumb.png.a0ad03372ef39c4211d910eff7e0c5e6.png

• Like 1

Contact via PM.

:D

Oh, I fogot to mention another achivement by ZaltysZ -

INTERNATIONAL FONTS support.

Currently, DCS fonts support only Russian cyrillic and big nations latin fonts. Thanks to ZaltysZ, who created an application that converts any TTF font to TGA font used by DCS (together with TXT files that are needed to make TGA fonts work), we can now use almost any existing codepage :D

Here is a small example of Polish chars. It is a mission translation by Boberros...

screenshot024gi9.thumb.jpg.b19c0a52efa8ffe75c7fd465e0776d9b.jpg

Contact via PM.