As close to a real Spit as it gets - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
toby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Correction: I was led to believe this once was a glass fibre replica; apparently I was mis-informed! It is a reproduction, hand-built to be as close to real as practicable; please see link below:
If you want to see the real deal, watch Grim Reaper's video here, he was able to get access to the real Spitfire's at Duxford.

Regarding the colour of the armoured glass, there's a great discussion at ATAG here with links to various photos, which are all different.

As Flying Legends have their own Spitfire's and Eagle Dynamics had access to them, I have no reason to doubt the colour in DCS.
I think that the problem comes from how 2.5 shows colour and textures in the new engine. The lighting seems to have a few issues currently.

Last edited by toby23; 07-17-2018 at 12:17 PM.
toby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
Vino

Reflected; you lucky bastard! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby23 View Post
As Flying Legends have their own Spitfire's and Eagle Dynamics had access to them, I have no reason to doubt the colour in DCS.
I think that the problem comes from how 2.5 shows colour and textures in the new engine. The lighting seems to have a few issues currently.
If this mythical access was utilized fully, we wouldn't have still incorrect operation of mixture lever more than a year after module's release .

But I digress...

The tint problem is caused simply by green layer getting duplicated on both sides of windscreen glass in the latest game patch, as can be seen by layout of baked relfections. Whether the gfx artist did that by mistake, or forgot to adjust values for each single layer afterwards, the result is still the same - as if we were seeing through two pairs of raybans .
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
toby23

Here's hoping for a texture fix asap, those baked reflections in the windscreen glass are very distracting..

EDIT 21/07 - I fixed the baked reflections too by making them more subtle.

Last edited by toby23; 07-21-2018 at 12:19 PM.
toby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:59 AM   #15
Hornetjock

Art-J Great comment re the mixture lever. I have always been puzzled by its "On-off" nature. She would be laying a smoke trail at full rich all the time.
Hornetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #16
toby23

@Art-J Unless I misunderstood your point about the mixture lever, the Spitfire Mk IX mixture is automatic.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
71st_AH Rob

The Mk IX we have has an automatic mixture control, I think it is the idle cut off that has people confused.

Training for Sabre Pilots
http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/
71st_AH Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #18
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby23 View Post
@Art-J Unless I misunderstood your point about the mixture lever, the Spitfire Mk IX mixture is automatic.
I was thinking about the fact that we can't follow the real startup procedure for Merlin 66 with Bendix-Stromberg carb by moving the mixture lever to auto before cranking the engine. That's how it was done as per pilot's notes, we can also see that on videos of restored birds with the same quadrant type being started and flown.

Try doing that in DCS Spit and a) the engine will not catch; b) the fuel line to carb will loose pressure anyway. Instead we have to mimic the startup procedure of P-51D by moving the lever only after cranked engine catches.

Might be a small thing, but a bit annoying for a "study sim" which pretends to simulate things as they work by the book.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #19
71st_AH Rob

The start up procedure can be followed exactly as described in the Spitfire pilot notes.

There is no mixture lever in the Spitfire Mk IX equipped with Bendix-Stromberg carburetors. There is an idle cut off lever on the throttle quadrant. It has to be in the aft position when the fuel pump is on or the wobble pump is engaged. Once the engine is running it can be moved forward.

See para 34(iv) pg18 and para 36 of 19 of pilot's notes.

Training for Sabre Pilots
http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/
71st_AH Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #20
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

admire your skins!

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote