** DCS: AJS-37 WIP Pre-Release Manual Released! **

Cobra847

Damn i will have to get me one of those =P.

Going through the manual with my current mouse takes to long ^^.

PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN buttons are that's why... ;-)

Or you can press SPACE to go forward and SHIFT+SPACE to go backwards.

Or you can use middle click in most PDF readers to initiate scrolling by mouse distance from click, and this way get automatic scrolling...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manual has been updated in the first post. Changelog is as follows.

Thanks to everyone for input and feedback!

• Increased margins
  • Added bookmarks
  • Clickable index
  • Fixed mil/km distance indicator flip
  • Fixed missing “I” (Thanks BritTorrent!)
  • Changed Heading 1 design
  • Added Chapter Number on pages
  • Various spelling and grammar fixes
  • Rounded up some stray image captions
  • Fixed Left indicator / warning table numbering
  • Fixed Right indicator / warning table numbering
  • Removed some odd page breaks

• Fixed Flight control system cockpit overview numbering
  • Added various Note boxes
  • Changed RPM picture to show 69%
  • Changed EGT Caption
  • Removed reference numbers in Backup Attitude Indicator text
  • Fixed transparency on P.216.
  • Fixed numbering on P23.
  • Fixed odd text stretch on P267

• Numerous transparency fixes

Varsågod :P

The majority of air forces use specific stores with similar external shape, ballistic properties and guidance as the real thing, but obviously don't blow up for safety reasons, and just mark the impact point with smoke or similar.

The SwAF also use those kind of munitions. There is the 6,3cm ÖRAK training rocket, that was loaded onto a launch rail. A much smaller rocket, but with the same ballisitics as the regular pod mounted rockets. They also used a 15kg training bomb, instead of the 120kg explosion bombs.

The year I served as a airplane/weapon mechanic on the AJ37 we used a lot of bombs. I guess they had a storage of bombs with a close in due date, because I remember cleaning a lot of bomb release mechanisms. The bomb releases were forced open by a sort of black powder, and the mechanisms had to be cleaned post haste after use :)

But we used up a lot of live 120kg Sprängbomb (explosion bomb). More often live bombs than the 15kg training bomb, actually. But that would vary with training needs.

Also used a lot of 30mm AKAN (Automatic cannon).

So, yes, live explosive weapons were used quite often, back then at least (1992-93).

But there were of course a lot more simulated attack flights as well. With ballast ordinance, and without.

I understand that, if the Viggen has 2 types of the same pods, one for training and one for operations, the training pods will contain training rockets, with similar ballistic characteristics as the real thing, but "safe" (i.e. they don't explode, intended or unintended) and hence with no use during wartime

That's the thing. The training pod can launch live explosive rockets. Both the training pod and the regular pods can be loaded with whatever warheads you want. The rocket motors are similar.

I can't remember ever loading one, though. We used the smaller 6,3cm ÖRAK training rockets instead.

There were also the all green ballast rocket pods, that was used to load the aircraft for simulated attack flights.

• Like 1

That's the thing. The training pod can launch live explosive rockets. Both the training pod and the regular pods can be loaded with whatever warheads you want. The rocket motors are similar.

Ok, then what I suggest LN could do is to offer the 3 flavors in ME: Training pod with training rockets, "war" pod with live rockets, AND training pod with live rockets.

So everybody is happy and all possibilities are covered.

But if only one can be selected, I would stick to war pods with live ordinance. It's the "official" configuration and not a *theoretically possible* one.

Regards

Small input on standard nomenclature. The thread is 11 bloody pages so this might have been mentioned, BUT it's not corrected or altered as of the most recent document. Also I tried to focus only on the parts of the manual that seemed closest to being finished.

--p. 65: "The AFK is manually engaged / disengaged by moving the AFK lever next to the landing lever (far left in cockpit). Moving the lever to the ON position will engage the AFK."

The terms "landing lever" and "AFK lever" are not used anywhere else in the manual, and it's difficult from the list of LEFT cockpit (pp. 24-5) to discern what is meant. It's only mentioned on p. 61 for the engine control overview illustration that there is a "landing gear lever" and "AFK control lever". The AFK control lever is not mentioned on the left cockpit illustration, and the landing gear lever is called a "landing gear handle". The same terms should ideally be used throughout.

--Parentheses give the Swedish name for something, but three of these begin with "swe." to denote a translation, whereas others do not.

-- p. 38, "A needles" should be "A needle", and the sentence should end with a period which seems to have ended up to the bottom left of Figure 27 that page.

-- p. 44, point 11. "likely to due to"

-- p. 44, point 13, entry ends with period unlike the style in which other entries are made.

-- p. 50, third sentence from top. Plural noun and singular verb confusion, which is a recurring issue throughout the manual. (not that I am bothered, but it's worth pointing out)

-- p. 50, "The reverser assembly consists of three titanium flaps close and directs the thrust forwards and slightly downwards through the slits." Unsure how this sentence is meant to read, but possibly "titanium flaps THAT close and DIRECT the"

-- p. 56, my tiniest observation so far: the digit "3" on the bottom of the list seems to be in a different font or made bold.

-- p. 61, same issue with different font for numbers in the list.

-- p. 197, The symbol for watt is upper-case W, but this is lower-case in parts of the text. It is also written as "20 W" and not "20w" as on p. 197.

-- p. 233, change "inputted" for "input"

• Like 1

Sorry for the OT, but as a follow up question about the rocket pod: is it possible to choose a single pod to fire or is it one press, all gone?

That's what we have been discussing... ;)

The regular ARAK rocket pods will launch all rockets with a short serial delay, at once.

There is, however, a training ARAK pod that can be set to fire all or single. This is selected on a switch on the pod itself, so it's a bit cumbersome to change it in flight... :pilotfly:

That's what we have been discussing... ;)

The regular ARAK rocket pods will launch all rockets with a short serial delay, at once.

There is, however, a training ARAK pod that can be set to fire all or single. This is selected on a switch on the pod itself, so it's a bit cumbersome to change it in flight... :pilotfly:

I think what he was asking was if you could fire the rocket Pods one Pylon at a time So you fire all 6 Rockets in a single pod but without the other Pods Launching (Launching each Pod Separately) =P atleast that is my reading of his question.

I think what he was asking was if you could fire the rocket Pods one Pylon at a time So you fire all 6 Rockets in a single pod but without the other Pods Launching (Launching each Pod Separately) =P atleast that is my reading of his question.

That's what I meant, thanks for clarifying.

How (s)low can you go

The present "Left Indicator and Warning System" section ends with page 51 containing "Rear Fuselage" and "Wings" and "Canards" explanations, which I believe should be in the section that follows on page 52 "General Design and System Overview". If this remark has already been noted - please disregard this input.

Ah! Sorry! I thought the question was a bit strange, since we just discussed that ;)

No, all pods at the same time.

Just finished manual read through number 1- and my hype had reached borderline unsafe level- brain may explode at any given moment!

One thing I was curious about that maybe the fine Viggen experts here may be able to assist me with- so I'm very fascinated by the BK-90 as it is really the first weapon of its type we will ever have in DCS, but I am still possibly a big fuzzy on it's employment. If I understand correctly, by default the BK-90 will attack a pre determined aircraft waypoint, and if the pilot wanted to change that he could do so by using the HUD Fix mode, Lat-Long input mode or the Radar Fix mode, transferring it to a waypoint, then setting that waypoint as target with the proper command- am I getting that right?

Edited by Hook47

There's an inconsistency in the manual.

On Page 228 and 229 it states the U/22 class pods can be mounted on the inner wing pylons.

Then on Page 47 the indicator panel can only indicate a fault in an ECM pod under the right wing.

When one reads the Viggen "Förarinstruktion" that states the ECM pods can only be carried under the right wing pylon the Chaff/Flare pod is the only one which can be carried on both wing pylons or either.

There's an inconsistency in the manual.

On Page 228 and 229 it states the U/22 class pods can be mounted on the inner wing pylons.

Then on Page 47 the indicator panel can only indicate a fault in an ECM pod under the right wing.

When one reads the Viggen "Förarinstruktion" that states the ECM pods can only be carried under the right wing pylon the Chaff/Flare pod is the only one which can be carried on both wing pylons or either.

Will fix. Thanks!

Well it was a First Generation Hud so there was no Standard Hud Symbology or layout at the time.

So the Hud is strange to us who are used to later Nato or Russian Huds who then followed Standards and solutions that had been developed over time.

But in the mid-late 60s when this Hud was developed there was no Standard to go by

so they simply made things up as they went along and did things that seemed logical to them.

So the Hud in the AJS 37 will be nothing like the HUDs in any of the current DCS aircraft just because its such an early design so they had nothing to base their work on.

the A-7 Corsair (that Razbam is making) will be very much the same (in being very different and a bit clunky etc)

but using different solutions / symbology etc since that is also a first generation HUD.

Edited by mattebubben

You also gotta keep in mind that the amount and complexity of objects/lines that were possible to render on the HUD was quite constrained by the available CPU time in the computer. I suspect that's a factor that contributes to some of very minimalist design choices (for example you tend to get moving lines instead of numerical readouts, and there's some weird symbol recycling like the "wings" of the flight path marker being used to indicate radar lock when firing rockets). On the other hand I also suspect - although this is entirely speculative - that they were concerned about sticking too much information on the HUD and overloading the pilot with information. I mean, it's hardly a very busy HUD in the first place but there's still a low altitude declutter mode for it.

Edited by renhanxue

Now imagine their reactions if they saw an F15C HUD :P

I think they may have wondered why the HUD has so many numbers, but so few pilot aids. ;)

Just with my early dive into the manual, the degree of automation / systems integration and information packed into the existing HUD is quite fascinating.

It looks different than most modern HUDs, but it seems like a very useful tool that delivers a variety of information in a glance. It will take those of us unfamiliar time to properly learn it, but so far it has been fun reading. :)

-Nick

Hi,

I think there is a mistake in page 99, in the description of the HUD elements:

HUD1_1.jpg

Angle of attack is the difference between the flight path and the cross, perpendicular to the horizon, regardless the aircraft rolling angle, I marked the real angle of attack with red pen - A'

Regards!