Recommended HOTAS for about $200

What is you opinion regarding the best HOTAS for DCS? I fly mostly the FA18C and A10C. I've been using an old Saitek Cyborg X. I haven't been flying in the sims for years.

Is the Logitech x56 the best at the $200 price point?

Also is there good vr/headtracking combo that includes the functionality of TrackIR5 and VR?

I wish I could use my DJI RE Googles - it has head tracking with the mavic 2 drones and camera.

IMO, there is nothing like the "best" HOTAS set. The best you can get is a combination of different manufactors. But these all exceed the 200$ price range by far. For most high class controls, the joystick base alone is $200+ or even more. A not so expensive entry HOTAS to that section would be the Thrustmaster Warthog, although it has it's flaws.

Within $200, i'd say the Thrustmaster T16000M Stick + TWCS throttle + TFRP pedals are a solid choice. These can be purchased as complete package wich is roughly about $200-$240. A bit more than 200$, but you'll get pedals with it and the X-56 is also at 250$. I haven't seen it for less yet. The Logitech X-56 is not recommended anyways. Despite the reputation of Logitech, it has very poor quality and suffers multiple electronic issues. I.e. ghosting (triggering buttons you haven't pressed), wich is absolutely annoying. I had the older version years ago, the X-55. So i know what i'm talking about, i had literally all issues with it you can read about online. And Logitech hasn't solved any of these design flaws, some ppl who had both report quality even got worse. Better don't spend money on that

So far for flight controls, but for headtracking/VR my knowledge is way too limited to provide a reasonable recommendation.

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

The Duel Throttle on the "New 2018 X56" with the Grey Colour Way is pretty good once you remove some of that excess sticky grease inside. I just got my X56 two weeks ago, and the 2 Year Warranty it comes with does not hurt.

Some YouTube videos take you through making the throttle move easier - Just do your research and save the grease you remove by depositing it onto one of the plastic HH shaped reinforcement spots inside of the base if you want to add some resistance later.

Thrustmaster T16000 and TWC throttle are classics; you can't go wrong.

I can only recommend the X56 if you can get it on sale or can apply some discount coupons at checkout within the Logitech Site.

The X56 is BIG. If you have small hands, the Flight Stick on the X56 will require you to change grip to reach all the hat switches.

Finally: If you like to tinker and play with the software, the X56 is cool and flexible.

You can do a lot of things with buttons and software. I found some informative videos on how to use the silly slider switch on the X56/X55 Throttle as a speed brake for American and Russian Planes—worked For me!

Enjoy the DCS Hobby, and enjoy your shopping / Research.

Cheers.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

IMO, there is nothing like the "best" HOTAS set. The best you can get is a combination of different manufactors. But these all exceed the 200$ price range by far. For most high class controls, the joystick base alone is $200+ or even more. A not so expensive entry HOTAS to that section would be the Thrustmaster Warthog, although it has it's flaws.

Within $200, i'd say the Thrustmaster T16000M Stick + TWCS throttle + TFRP pedals are a solid choice. These can be purchased as complete package wich is roughly about $200-$240. A bit more than 200$, but you'll get pedals with it and the X-56 is also at 250$. I haven't seen it for less yet. The Logitech X-56 is not recommended anyways. Despite the reputation of Logitech, it has very poor quality and suffers multiple electronic issues. I.e. ghosting (triggering buttons you haven't pressed), wich is absolutely annoying. I had the older version years ago, the X-55. So i know what i'm talking about, i had literally all issues with it you can read about online. And Logitech hasn't solved any of these design flaws, some ppl who had both report quality even got worse. Better don't spend money on that

So far for flight controls, but for headtracking/VR my knowledge is way too limited to provide a reasonable recommendation.

Cheers

The ghosting is a USB power supply issue (USB) it can be avoided by using a powered USB hub for the stick/throttle. I've had my X-56 for 2 years now and no issues.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Check the "for sale" category on this forum. There's some people (including myself) selling HOTAS that you might be able to snag for well under $200.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

The ghosting is a USB power supply issue (USB) it can be avoided by using a powered USB hub for the stick/throttle. I've had my X-56 for 2 years now and no issues.

Somehow yes, but this will not help for every X-55/56. Some ppl had no luck with that solution. Also you'll need an excellent powered USB Hub for that as not every powered hub provides enough power to stop the X-55/56 from ghosting. Only very few hubs will solve that problem reliably and the cheap hubs won't help much, i tried a few. I ended up with the TP-Link UH720 powered 7 USB hub, wich is a 50$ high class hub. BUT there must be only the X-55 throttle plugged into that hub. As soon as i plugged in any other device (i.e. the X-55 stick), that crappy thing started ghosting again. On that same hub i'm currently running 7 devices without any issues:

TM TPR pedals

TM Warthog throttle

TM Warthog base/Hornet grip

VPC WarBRD base/Warthog grip

3x TM cougar MFD

While the X-55 throttle started ghosting if there was only one additonal device plugged in. In short terms, the X-55/56 is crap. Yet alone due to the fact you'll have to purchase additional hardware to make it work as intended. Also the ghosting issue is not the only flaw of the X-55/56. Another thing is the crappy friction wheel. Set it too tight and it will cause button issues on the throttle, means some buttons won't work at certain throttle positions. I had this problem too. Also some buttons just stopped working right after warranty ended. These problems are well known since the very first day the X-55 hit the market and Logitech didn't solve any of these problems. They just shot new paint on exactly the same hardware, renamed it to X-56 and started to sell it for 80-100 bucks more than the X-55. I remember my X-55 was at 150€ new, the X56 is 250€. For the same crappy piece of plastic.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Not necessarily. I had the X-55 and got a lot of ghosting. I tried 2 different powered USB hubs and the problem persisted. I'd recommend OP save up a little more and buy the TM Warthog or Virpil, i think it's called? Just my experience/opinion.

I had an X52 for a long time, very much enjoyed it despite the limitations, highly recommend it if you can find a second hand one

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Stay away from MadCatz-era Saitek though . Utter garbage .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2