Interview with Eurofighter pilot German Air Force Lt.-Col. Lorenz“Enzo”Schaffelhofer

bies

Nice interview.

Unfortunately the common myth that the Typhoon was designed as a pure fighter is still being spread. If you simply look at the requirements and the roles the aircraft performed that were going to be replaced by the Typhoon you'll quickly notice that AG was a requirement from the very beginning. That in the post-cold war era requirements were somewhat trimmed initially, before reality struck back and the decision to phase in capabilities incrementally, focussing on AA first doesn't change that fact. That the Typhoon is not as balanced as a multirole fighter as an F/A-18 or Rafale is evident underscoring the emphasis placed on AA performance. However, if you just take a look at the number of store stations and the wide range of AG radar modes specified you get a clue that the aircraft was not just planned to be used in the AA role only. This was apparently known even in the 70s when the precursors of the Typhoon were conceived. Back then it was typically called "dual-role" (AA & AG) rather than multirole/swingrole as of today.

• 4 weeks later...

My take on variant, equipment and balance

My take on variant, equipment and balance:

Variant = any that can be properly modeled.

Equipment = any that can be properly modeled.

Variant + equipment = avoid (like the plague) hybrid non-real equipped aircraft.

It's better to make different sub-modules (like F-14, C-101, L-39, Gazelle...). Choose a specific airframe (c/n) at a specific time and do it. If possible choose one for each developer country (my personal preference: at least one GAF and one RAF).

Balance = if we want balance (usually blu v red) we, the mission creators and server managers, can provide a chosen module (the same aircraft for both teams) and give it painted bright blue for the blu team and bright red for the red team. That's balance.

I hope the developers understand this message and find it useful.

Cheers:beer:

Edited by Shrimp
Typo

My take on variant, equipment and balance:

Variant = any that can be properly modeled.

Equipment = any that can be properly modeled.

Variant + equipment = avoid (like the plague) hybrid non-real equipped aircraft.

It's better to make different sub-modules (like F-14, C-101, L-39, Gazelle...). Choose a specific airframe (c/n) at a specific time and do it. If possible choose one for each developer country (my personal preference: at least one GAF and one RAF).

Balance = if we want balance (usually blu v red) we, the mission creators and server managers, can provide a chosen module (the same aircraft for both teams) and give it painted bright blue for the blu team and bright red for the red team. That's balance.

I hope the developers understand this message and find it useful.

Cheers:beer:

I totally agree with everything you said there!!! :thumbup:

Especially avoiding hybrid non-real equipped aircraft!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg