DCS Fatal Error 5.70.004.000

Haggart

Hello,

in experimenting, I'm encountering the following error messages when trying to start up DCS (the vanilla version as also patch 1.01):

bgvpueex5m432pjlj.png

bgvpupbhhpas79oxj.png

OS is something like Windows XP/Vista. DirectX is successfully installed.

Anyone has any Idea?

There's no "Overkill". There's only "open fire!" and "time to reload".

Specs: i7-980@4,2Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX480, 1x 8800GTS, X-Fi HD, Cougar, Warthog, dcs-F16-pedals

First idea is: find out if it's XP or Vista. That makes about 6 years of difference. ;)

Please read the troubleshooting sticky (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=44466) and see if you can give us a DxDiag output - gives most of the information that can be relevant in one easily browsable format without the need to go back and ask more questions several times. (Such as CPU, sound cards, video cards, driver versions etcetera.)

Also, you could check if you have any error entries for launcher.exe in your Control Panel and if so, copy-paste the contents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Okay, first error resolved - I was an Idiot, trying to launch directly DCS.exe.

Now, two new errors...

bgw31ytfwv0cxf2ks.pngbgw317b1cbqd67nbg.png

bgw31ytfwv0cxf2ks.pnghttp://666kb.com/i/bgw317b1cbqd67nbg.png

http://666kb.com/i/bgw31ytfwv0cxf2ks.png

I've attached the dxdiag-log.

The OS is... ahem... ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.32.8. I'm trying some emulation. I know it's not supported, but for stability reasons, I'm evaluating this - I hope you may help me anyway, for this may be interesting for many. Emulator is wine in the most actual build, with the directx-libs installed. Any idea to point on?

DxDiag.txt

Specs: i7-980@4,2Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX480, 1x 8800GTS, X-Fi HD, Cougar, Warthog, dcs-F16-pedals

Spontaneous idea would be that I don't think the copy protection software is able to view the hardware properly, but I've never tried that myself and I haven't used Linux as a gaming platform for several years (I used to do so for stability issues, as you say, but with Vista I've found that as long as it's maintained properly the only issues I have is when my overclocking habit causes hardware faults :P ). When I did I used Cedega as well, not Wine. It is payware but I would suspect that it has better odds of having been able to include routines that allow copy protection software to operate.

However, do check your OpenGL libraries to see if they need some work or extra hooks to wine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

By the way, here's two possible issues:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
       Card name: X11 Windowing System
    Manufacturer: 
       Chip type: 
        DAC type: 
      Device Key: Enum\
  Display Memory: 326.5 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (50Hz)
         Monitor: X11 Windowing System
 Monitor Max Res: 
     Driver Name: 
  Driver Version:  ()
     DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: , 0 bytes
     WHQL Logo'd: n/a
 WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
             VDD: Nicht zutreffend
        Mini VDD: 
   Mini VDD Date: n/a, 0 bytes
Device Identifier: {AEB2CDD4-6E41-43EA-941C-8361CC760781}
       Vendor ID: 0x10DE
       Device ID: 0x0193
       SubSys ID: 0x00000000
     Revision ID: 0x0000
     Revision ID: 0x0000
     Video Accel: 
Deinterlace Caps: n/a

I'm not sure that should be a problem, but it might confuse the video routines.

But this is a bigger worry:

Registry Errors Found:
Key 'HKCR\DirectXFile\CLSID' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\DirectXFile' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\Direct3DRM\CLSID' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\Direct3DRM' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\8 bit Luminance' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\24 bit BumpLum DuDv' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit Luminance Alpha' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit BumpLum DuDv' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit Bump DuDv' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\RGB Emulation' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\RGB Emulation' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\Ramp Emulation' is missing.
Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\Direct3D HAL' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\DirectDrawClipper\CLSID' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\DirectDrawClipper' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\DirectDraw\CLSID' is missing.
Key 'HKCR\DirectDraw' is missing.

It seems like the D3D stuff isn't quite there as well.

EDIT: And just for giggles, remember that Wine Is Not an Emulator. :P

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

i've the feeling the problem is related to the copy protection... DirectX-Stuff DOES work, even in 3D (some things are a bit slow, but they work). Tryin' to focus on Starforce.

//EDIT: Problem location confirmed. Initializing the protection.exe alone DOES throw the same orb. Experimenting.

Yeah, personally I think the only way of making that work in Linux us to VM a windows install and run everything inside that - but then you haven't got the stability advantage you were looking for and have introduced a performance bottleneck.

So, sadly, I don't think it'll be possible to make it work unless you find a way to let the protection system see your hardware the same way it would expect to see it on a windows machine. This might be possible since DCS:BS does use the driver-less version of SF 5, but I am unsure of how exactly that would be achieved.

So, sadly, it would seem that you'll end up having to use it with Windows. (I'd recommend Vista or 7, since XP has very poor multicore management which makes DCS:BS get a good bit of extra performance in W6 and 7.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yeah, I had an DOS6/Win7/Svr08R2-Multiboot-Enviroment 'till two days ago until (thanks to Win7) my partition tables told me to f'ck off, so I reactivated my ubuntu9.10-installation from backups to give wine another try with dcs...

I've allready made the VM-attemp, but it's not possible due to poor 3D-performance of VMware-Workstation and similar products. Only way would be to either get a workaround for starforce or change the copy protection system (does anyone of ed read this? Guys? :cry:)...

The copy protection system has already been changed with DCS - it uses the diskless, driver-less system. What it basically does is ask the computer what kind of hardware is sitting in it, compare the hardware code to the one registered, and if they're the same or close enough it passes an ok-message to DCS. No driver involved.

The problem, I guess, is that most systems are not so lenient - most companies that use Tages, secuROM or StarForce do not skip the driver, wherefore it's usually pointless for people to implement support for it into products like WINE and Cedega. ED basically chose to have a DRM, but to have one that is as non-obtrusive as possible. Changes like that are unlikely to happen unless there is a decision made to support Linux - and that will probably not happen until some 20 years in the future when Linux derivatives have a majority market share. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yeah, the problem is also not the way Starforce accesses the hardware (thats allready the reason it's impossible to emulate LOMAC), but generally Starforce, which does not like anything...