The A-10 in a SEAD role?

I know is possible in lock on to perform sead roles in the A10. It's very difficult to clean up and airfield, esspecially with an S-8 on the defense. Nonetheless, it can be done.

My question is, how realistic is this? Theres another Mav available thats alot longer in range right? As is stands you have to be very low( 25-50 ft ) to fly in undetected by the long range sam sites. Unless of cource theres terrain. Then pop up to get a lock, and then of cource live through the launches.

I was just curious if this was realistic at all and if the A-10 does actually perform SEAD roles with the missiles that are not modeled in lock on.( AMG-154?? ) Obviously they wouldnt attempt it the way it is modeled in game now. A) They wouldn't fly that low, and B) I doubt they would get that close to a long range sam site.

Do i pretty much have this sumed up, or am i missing peices to the puzzle?

I dont believe the AS-10 is an official SEAD platform at all. Is it?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I think the video that Mustang posted talks about an A-10 being shotdown while tasked against a ring of SAMs ... seems bonkers given the number of HARMs that were fired!

It seems very unsutable ... but hey, thats war, things always get used where they are nt suitable.

Well, turns out i answered most of my own questions with this chart:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/index.html

I have no clue if its accurate or not. Sorry if its a re-post, but it may be interesting to some of you. Looks like there are some long range TV guided and even GPS guided bombs for the A-10. But it doesnt carry the 154C according to this.

• 9 years later...

It's a damn pity that the only plane available in DCS is SU25T for SEAD....

Anyway, it has a pretty trick to defeat SA-8 SAMs with A10C...

Fly around 23 ~25 000 feet, with 10 ~ 20 degrees of deviation from SAM...

Lock SAM with Littening Pod

Switch to Mav (i'd preffer the H version (even at night in this case)

Boat Center (2 Seconds) to make MAV goes into Correlate deliver mode

Fly toward SAM, it will lock/ fire into you (Now you will have 2 options)

Option 1 - Avoid Missiles until SA8 gets unarmed

Option 2 - Steady toward the SAM and the incoming missile. (If you're 12 ~ plus knots from SA 8 you will have like 6 seconds to get a lock, shot and evade)

So when you get a good distance (i'd use 10 ~ 12 kn even before AGM max distance delimiter appears) lock SAM A cross will collapse inside AGM's targeting screen indicating the Correlate, then Shoot, turn perpendicular, if you still have a incoming missile, CMS on it, it will bail out...

You have a great altitude, even that MAVs aren't projected to travel that far, gravity will do the job...

Keep Flying Torward until you get

Practice and Learn: Editor is the best test LAB ever!

Put some Different SAMs in mission editor on ground and pratice a way to evade/kill'em...

It's possible to kill even SA-10 and Patriots with A10 A/C or standard SU-25

All you have to do is to known SAM/Aircraft limitations then kill'em all

Edited by rvotri

Who cares...