Is it just me or did the flight model change again?

Manuel_108

If you have to push the nose down on final, you're not flying on speed angle of attack... that kind of hurts your credibility to assess the flight model

:)

Trim it to fly on speed and your landings will be so much easier.

A quick tip is to not engage flaps and landing gear until you're at around ~180 kts... it'll be much easier to trim to fly on-speed angle of attack the closer you are to approach speed when you deploy flaps and gear.

It’s funny, I felt that I needed less constant throttle adjustment in carrier landings last night and attributed it to a change in the flight model. Maybe I am finally getting better, lol, after practicing hundreds and hundreds of carrier landings.

If you get a chance, check out some Carrier landings from the cockpit and watch the pilot really working the throttle to stay on track.

I've never seen a pilot just setting and forgetting or using auto-throttle right to the deck. It needs constant adjusting. So you are probably right on if you had to work at the throttles to stay on the approach.

that kind of hurts your credibility to assess the flight model

I guess. I'll leave the criticism for the real life hornet pilots to pass on for the future. Apparently one of them flew the DCS Hornet very recently anyway and deemed the flight model to be too draggy still. What do I know though. They'll figure it out anyways, it's just such a subjective topic.

About the AOA thing, I never had problems with that. I think it had more to do with the fact that it has been over two weeks since I last booted up DCS. I just had to pull back the throttles more aggressively in order to not float too much. The whole thing just doesn't feel 100% natural or...right yet? But again, what do I know. The flight model is still WIP after all.

Still, thank you for the tips. I will try out the 180kts thing. Until now, I dropped everything at 200ish kts.

Now I know there is really no stupid questions but may I ask if you had any ordinance on, bombs, missles, rockets? that may have contributed to more drag? Probably not but just want to know. Cheers.

I guess. I'll leave the criticism for the real life hornet pilots to pass on for the future. Apparently one of them flew the DCS Hornet very recently anyway and deemed the flight model to be too draggy still. What do I know though. They'll figure it out anyways, it's just such a subjective topic.

About the AOA thing, I never had problems with that. I think it had more to do with the fact that it has been over two weeks since I last booted up DCS. I just had to pull back the throttles more aggressively in order to not float too much. The whole thing just doesn't feel 100% natural or...right yet? But again, what do I know. The flight model is still WIP after all.

Still, thank you for the tips. I will try out the 180kts thing. Until now, I dropped everything at 200ish kts.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

Now I know there is really no stupid questions but may I ask if you had any ordinance on, bombs, missles, rockets? that may have contributed to more drag? Probably not but just want to know. Cheers.

StormBat - so you've graduated from Spits to Jets. :)

Nice to see you still around bro. !

Just the basic loadout really. 2 AIM-9X and a centerline fueltank. I guess I am just out of practice.

No changes have been made.

Why is a clean hornet, with 6,000 obs of fuel, once again needing full mil to make the last 180 turn into the carrier groove? This was no issue prior to the patch and everyone I know that flies this thing has noticed it to. I have over 150 traps in your hornet and something is definitely off right now.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Why is a clean hornet, with 6,000 obs of fuel, once again needing full mil to make the last 180 turn into the carrier groove? This was no issue prior to the patch and everyone I know that flies this thing has noticed it to. I have over 150 traps in your hornet and something is definitely off right now.

I definitely don't need full mil during the 180

Maybe post a video so we can assess your technique

Did this today with a centerline tank. Messed the break up a little but otherwise nothing has changed with this update

You make it look easy mate - nice trap!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

I can confirm, ZERO changes were made to the Flight Model.

If you'd really like to see FM changes from patch to patch you could save a .trk file and then replay it in the newer patch. In fact this goes for a lot of things and something I do regularly when testing.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I can confirm, ZERO changes were made to the Flight Model.

If you'd really like to see FM changes from patch to patch you could save a .trk file and then replay it in the newer patch. In fact this goes for a lot of things and something I do regularly when testing.

What had to be done to correct the launch issue regarding blacking out from excessive bounce?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What had to be done to correct the launch issue regarding blacking out from excessive bounce?

No idea on that one I'm afraid.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q