No Missions ??

GAJ52

Hi

I've just started getting into the Mark 9 Spitfire so bought the Normandy Map and WW2 Assets Pack for $60. I thought the pack would have at least come with a few missions, but nothing shows under the Missions tab other than two Caucasus missions which I already had.

I know there is a purchasable Epsom Campaign but I'm a bit disappointed DCS haven't included a few more missions especially with the Normandy map - or have I missed something :huh:

Glen

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

You did, but not much. Under Instant Missions tab for Normandy, you'll find the basic five-pack similar to other maps: Spitfire cold start, takeoff, landing, free flight and dogfight. That's about it.

Two of Bunyap's Epsom campaign missions are available for downloading as free samples on ED's website. You might find some custom Normandy missions made by community as well.

That being said, with Assets Pack pretty much stuck in a neverending early-WIP state, there's just not enough content to build interesting missions with, which results in a small popularity of the map amongst players.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

That being said, with Assets Pack pretty much stuck in a neverending early-WIP state, there's just not enough content to build interesting missions with, which results in a small popularity of the map amongst players.

Hmm.. not according to NineLine in this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208756&page=7

Why do you think it has 'small popularity' out of interest? Sure, some people here moan, but people moan about every other product as well. It's the nature of forums!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, I should've been more clear indeed - I was thinking about people still making WWII missions for the map and flying it offline or online. That is a different problem altogether, and that's why NL's comment about sale figures is irrelevant. The figures are always good for new product because of "new shiny toy" factor, not to mention great hopes WWII-oriented players had for this long-awaited branch of DCS franchise. I'm not surprised that this part of, dare I say cashgrab, worked very well for ED.

I rate current popularity based on dwindling number of WWII skin and mod makers creating anything for warbirds or Normandy (or abandoning the platform, like 5tuka did), plus more familiar forum names switching back to 777's competing franchise (I'm afraid this tendency is only going to get worse once full BoBP is out), same for the mates from my local flight simming community. Also, apparently the map is almost dead in multiplayer, though I don't have enough experience with that.

One big update for the map after almost 1.5 years, a very welcomed and needed update I admit (though the map still looks and runs worse than all the others), plus a handful of ground units added or WIP newsletter screenshots posted every few months do not seem to be enough to keep the interest alive at the moment

I expect things to change, however, when/if the rest of the pack is completed, when/if the rest of planned flyable warbirds are done, when/if the map gets a speedtree code treatment and when/if the DCS dedicated server is released, or when/if Jesus comes the second time... whichever of these happens first :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.