OB update tomorrow?

DeathAngel1

It's almost as if software development is no exact science and unforeseen problems can arise, that force delays. Crazy, I know.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

It was mentioned in Hornet-mini updates that we will get jsow, bru-55a and msi later this month. "Later" is now, its 29 may, month is almost end.
That is why Wags always put a disclaimer and that the indicated date is not a promise but an estimate.

Software development is very complex and losing time on bug fixing is very easy

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Well ive had my hornet almost a year now and the main reason was i wanted TWS, AGM65, and a POD.. I'm kinding getting alittle frustrated.. as this is my first MOD for DCS and early access at that... I'll not be doing that again and I'm also not buying the F16 till the hornet is finishes

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

As the OB update was scheduled for 22nd (every two weeks) and we still hear not any news, I assume that they'll probably have massive issues with something special or a 3rd party.

I think they stated somewhere that they want to jump to 2.5.5 and that a 3rd party did not their job. (sorry, can't find it now)

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

That is true. 2.5.5 has some bigger VR changes incoming, they need to be sure every module, includign 3rd party, works and given the nature of software development there simply has been unforeseen problems and delays. Nothing more, nothing less.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

One would hope. I believe, whenever the next Hornet update is, they plan JSOW, dual-mounted JDAM/SOW, and radar MSI.
No new video no new feature.

Still hoping for patch thou.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Well ive had my hornet almost a year now and the main reason was i wanted TWS, AGM65, and a POD.. I'm kinding getting alittle frustrated...

From the day the Hornet went to EA, ED was very open an clear that exactly the things you want to have would be added during development and would not come very soon. Sure, they did not specify what and when exactly. But any such statement would habe been anyway nothing but guesstimates.

Any software company in the world which considers itself professional that deals with complex software including 3rd party contributions which need to be integrated will tell you that you simply cannot plan such a big project on a level where you have release dates for each and every feature for the next 1-2 years. And it wouldn‘t make sense at all to do that, that was the old classic „waterfall approach“ to software development. You‘d make a huge, huge specification with every little thing completely described, you come up with a massive plan and start to work on things. And then your plan begins to fall apart after a few weeks because unforeseeable things happen. Now you have to rework parts of your specifications, analyze the impact on other parts of the software (possibly reworking those as well) and all this takes a lot of time. This method has proven over and over to be ineffective and companies who failed to realize this learned that the hard way (even some big companies).

It is simply unrealistic to foresee any possible thing that could happen in such complex developments. Might not always be super nice for a customer. But let‘s put things in perspective: If you have bought the Hornet during the EA discount period you paid 60 bucks for it, knowing that it won‘t be feature complete for quite some time (ED never promised a date for feature completion). With those 60 dollar you paid all the development that already went into the module and also all the future development for it that is still ongoing. In my humble opinion, 60 dollars is not really much for all that I got for it and even will get in the months to come.

I am now at just over 100 hours in the Hornet. Those were exciting 100 hours and I have no reasons to believe the next 100 will be any different. That‘s a lot of fun for those 60 bucks. Go to Disneyland once and tell me how many hours of fun you can get there for about the same amount of money...:music_whistling:

Edited by Hog_No32

However it will unfortunately not be the ATFLIR anytime soon. As much as I appreciate the module and the incredible strides that have been made.. I would have expected an ATFLIR a year after release. TWS should be the priority though in my opinion. I hope very little time is wasted on the incorrect targeting pod as a hold over. Great work on everything that is done so far.. I intend to continue to support DCS world however I cannot buy an f-16 out of principal until some key features for the f18 are complete. Air to air is juvenile without the ability to engage or track multiple targets. Give me tws and a cas page and a campaign and I will be happy. We don’t need a thousand fancy weapons that have never been employed by the f18 in my opinion.. at least not before getting the basic air to air functionality. Having a targeting pod while would be great is not a requirement to employ the aircraft properly. Rant complete. Keep up the great work though for real.

From the day the Hornet went to EA, ED was very open an clear that exactly the things you want to have would be added during development and would not come very soon. Sure, they did not specify what and when exactly. But any such statement would habe been anyway nothing but guesstimates.

Any software company in the world which considers itself professional that deals with complex software including 3rd party contributions which need to be integrated will tell you that you simply cannot plan such a big project on a level where you have release dates for each and every feature for the next 1-2 years. And it wouldn‘t make sense at all to do that, that was the old classic „waterfall approach“ to software development. You‘d make a huge, huge specification with every little thing completely described, you come up with a massive plan and start to work on things. And then your plan begins to fall apart after a few weeks because unforeseeable things happen. Now you have to rework parts of your specifications, analyze the impact on other parts of the software (possibly reworking those as well) and all this takes a lot of time. This method has proven over and over to be ineffective and companies who failed to realize this learned that the hard way (even some big companies).

It is simply unrealistic to foresee any possible thing that could happen in such complex developments. Might not always be super nice for a customer. But let‘s put things in perspective: If you have bought the Hornet during the EA discount period you paid 60 bucks for it, knowing that it won‘t be feature complete for quite some time (ED never promised a date for feature completion). With those 60 dollar you paid all the development that already went into the module and also all the future development for it that is still ongoing. In my humble opinion, 60 dollars is not really much for all that I got for it and even will get in the months to come.

I am now at just over 100 hours in the Hornet. Those were exciting 100 hours and I have no reasons to believe the next 100 will be any different. That‘s a lot of fun for those 60 bucks. Go to Disneyland once and tell me how many hours of fun you can get there for about the same amount of money...:music_whistling:

As i said im new to DCS.. an old pilot of LOMAC the first one you know, when people used to mod the Su33 to a F18skin just to fly a F18 skin lol and many other Sims but last year i saw a YouTube clip of wags starting up the F18C and fell in love and was i need to buy that.. hell I upgraded my laptop $2800 latter and bought a X52pro just so I could fly the F18.. but as i said I was new and the F18 being my first MOD i didn't know about EA and was just buy buy buy PG, FC3, and a few other packs to make it a game. All I'm saying is im a abit disappointed with the wait as i didn't know about EA or the way DCS worked.. but all in all its my fault.. but in saying that ill not support another Mod till this one is done..

Oh and your right ive well over 150hrs in the hornet and pride myself on knowing how all the systems work, both weapons and nav and all the bells and whistles that we have so far... the hornet to Great.. ATM but it would be a Dream and 100x the fun with TWS and a POD and 100x more usable.. end rant

Edited by Fonz_408

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

However it will unfortunately not be the ATFLIR anytime soon. As much as I appreciate the module and the incredible strides that have been made.. I would have expected an ATFLIR a year after release. TWS should be the priority though in my opinion. I hope very little time is wasted on the incorrect targeting pod as a hold over. Great work on everything that is done so far.. I intend to continue to support DCS world however I cannot buy an f-16 out of principal until some key features for the f18 are complete. Air to air is juvenile without the ability to engage or track multiple targets. Give me tws and a cas page and a campaign and I will be happy. We don’t need a thousand fancy weapons that have never been employed by the f18 in my opinion.. at least not before getting the basic air to air functionality. Having a targeting pod while would be great is not a requirement to employ the aircraft properly. Rant complete. Keep up the great work though for real.

Couldn't agree with this post more. I'm glad we get a pod but I too hope they dont bury a ton of time into the litening. I also agree with your point on getting basic systems finished before adding things like JSOWs, SLAM-ERs and the like. In my opinion it should be ATFLIR, TWS, AG radar before litterally any other work is done.

Couldn't agree with this post more. I'm glad we get a pod but I too hope they dont bury a ton of time into the litening. I also agree with your point on getting basic systems finished before adding things like JSOWs, SLAM-ERs and the like. In my opinion it should be ATFLIR, TWS, AG radar before litterally any other work is done.

Agree! Especially ATFLIR, TWS and AG radar. We need this systems ASAP.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Yup 3rd party was the issue IIRC. We also get the VR update in 2.5.5. So its more than just a hornet update.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Except for the fact that ATFLIR is more complicated to implement and depending on core DCS work being done (which is why they went for LITENING as a stop-gap), that's exactly what we are getting. Dont't forget last year's poll, which directly influenced what the team is working on *right now*.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219023

Agree! Especially ATFLIR, TWS and AG radar. We need this systems ASAP.

I agree, but ATFLIR needs the whole IR/thermal sysytem for the game engine redone and ground radar needs a similar amount of non trivial work. So im not counting on either one soon. TWS would be nice tho.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yup 3rd party was the issue IIRC. We also get the VR update in 2.5.5. So its more than just a hornet update.

I hope it’s not the 3rd party I think it is. I know I shouldn’t be profiling, but if the shoe fits....

.....also, if that’s the case, we may be waiting a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

In fact, Wags stated in the last communication that they were now dealing with aspects of the Hornet that would take a lot of work to complete.

We will get an update next when there is stuff to release. Are you schoolkids here or adults?