Visibility

falcon_120

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t really noticed, but mostly because spotting in DCS is soooo fricking hard, I basically gave up.

I enjoy DCS very very much, but I simply hate the fact that its almost impossible to pick anything up visually.

I know there are countless threads about this subject; its been worked on since time inmemorial...and yer its still broken somehow. Maybe a little bit more with this latest update; I honestly don’t know.

I just had to enable the labels as “DOT ONLY” because I’m just unable to pick up bandits once merged (SP) and I’m shot down 90% of the times. I can pick up the missile launch that kills me, but thats too late.

Enabling the “dot labels” makes me GOD (again, SP) so it kind of ruins it too. Maybe going MP evens things out...dont’t know.

There must be a sweet spot between the two, come on ED!

I loved the “impostor” approach back in the 1.5 days; it really worked for me. It had its problems, specially in MP as it was resolution dependent; maybe it could be brought back just for SP? Don’t know again...just thinking aloud.

Sorry about this mini-rant and not providing any useful hint to the OP...its just that its so frustrating... :_(

You guys at 1080p or above? I find 1080p to be perfectly fine (maybe unrealistically easy?) when it comes to spotting. At 4k (which is what I normally play at because anything other than native res. on my 4k looks awful), it is EXTREMELY difficult to see anything unless you know exactly where to look (which may be closer to reality?). I'm speaking primarily of air to air spotting.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I’m at 1080p...I just cant imagine how it would be on a 4K monitor then.

After playing a few more times, I think the OP has a point; it seems spotting is harder after the last update (but again, maybe nothing changes and its just us).

One day ED will recognize that you shouldn't be able to spot an F-5 from 40 MILES AWAY. Until they drop this stupid "dot" method or significantly reduce the range at which it appears (except for maybe AWACS or other giant jets) people will be subject to an intrinsic disadvantage just because they have a better monitor.

Also it's just unrealistic as hell and makes using Radar for anything but Target Acquisition seem pointless. Why use a radar and show everyone where you are when you can SEE from the same damn distance?!? God this issue drives me crazy.

Exactly.

It’s a love/hate relation I have with DCS mostly because of this issue.

The older “dot” was visible from far far away; way too much. Now it seems that’s no longer the case, which is good. But there’s still a range bellow the 10nm mark up until where the 3D models are fully visible, where its almost impossible to pick up targets visually (at least for me); at those ranges, the dot helped, but now its gone (or so I think; again maybe its just me sucking big time at the merge).

God I miss the freaking impostors from 1.5 :(

Thanks for clarifying NineLine. At least we can stop wondering whether or not something changed; I even checked it out myself by updating to release a do some screenshots to compare with the a few ones I got from OB. I’d swear the dot was fainter in the OB after the update, but it’s not.

And now that we’re at it...is there something being worked on/planned regarding this old spotting subject? 0:)

i noticed something is wrong with the visibility of the enemy planes.

iwas seeing a very big tu-something bomber from 5-6 nm, then it suddenly disapperared when it got close to me. i saw him again with bigger zoom. it was unusual to me. maybe i am wrong, dunno

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

If anything changed, its really subtle.

I was under the impression that planes in the distance (2-6nm) were harder to detect after the update, but I took screenshots from the OB and Release and there is no noticeable difference; at least not in the scenario I tested (instant action ACM vs Mig29).

And yet..it still feels it’s harder than before to me. But I can’t find any evidence to prove it; so I take NineLine’s word and just keep flying, trying to get over it and hoping someday this spotting thing gets better; maybe fixed and settled once and for all :)

Just wondered about the timing - E.D. say nothing changed, I saw the popup that new drivers were there, people said the graphics had changed.

Checking to see if the drivers were responsible seemed a logical place to start...

Cheers.

In my case; and as I say i have only tested in VR with the same settings i had prepatch, the difference is noticeable right from the start in the F18 vs 4 Mig29 instant action mission.

Prepatch I could see 4 subtle dots in the distance at the beginning of the mission, now i have to wait several miles and even use the zoom Vr to see them. Also the contrails which is strange, maybe what was high visual distance has actually been reduced?

I will repair today, and see if my nvidia graphics driver has been updated.

My Rift is on its way back from being repaired at the moment, so I haven't had a need to start Oculus Home for a while,but is it possible that their software has also been updated and might be causing the issues and not the latest update of DCS?

No, it sounds like its a DCS issue, and that the team is working on them.

The spotting distance or the Rift issues are a "DCS issue"? Sorry, just wanted to clarify. Appreciate it.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440