Cockpit sounds like this...

Thacyoon

Nice sound.. but why the hell you guys always want that extreme noise? Never had an fitting HGU-55 on your head? This sound is nice, but in game I do not want sound like flying without anything. With earplugs and a helmet it will be much less noise than in all the YouTube videos…

In DCS just tick "hear like in helmet" option under sounds

This sound great, but yeah there are two issues with sound from video like theses, not only the pilot don't hear the same sound/level but also the camera is hard mounted and get more vibrations which alter the sound, tho it is probably not that far, without an helmet the sound is still probably a little different in the cockpit.

The issue of "hear like in helmet" is that DCS don't normalize volume, and external view/free camera/crash camera and other are extraordinary loud, which mean that when you set your volume to be comfortable with the helmet option, everywhere where the filter isn't applied basically explode your ears.

Even without this option the internal/external sound difference is way too big.

And lowering environment sound to avoid becoming deaf if anything else than cockpit view is selected mean that you ear even less what is outside, meaning you have chances to miss an enemy sneaking on you for example...

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Nice sound.. but why the hell you guys always want that extreme noise? Never had an fitting HGU-55 on your head? This sound is nice, but in game I do not want sound like flying without anything. With earplugs and a helmet it will be much less noise than in all the YouTube videos…

The sounds from that video is about the same sounds I heard with earplugs and helmet. I suspect the option to "hear like helmet" would match pretty closely.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The sounds from that video is about the same sounds I heard with earplugs and helmet. I suspect the option to "hear like helmet" would match pretty closely.

Thanks for confirming that.

Now, if a DCS F-16C Viper devloper can jump in and say: "Sure, by setting a new benchmark for the F-16C block 50 we will (of cause) simulate the cockpit sounds as real as it gets. And that video is a very good reference." :)

The thing with sound is very subjective. So the video on the first post have some of the sound you get, but you have to add sound like this video

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3954041&postcount=1317

That is what you hear on the head set. Not sure if the radios cause it or some other avionics, but you can hear that even with the engine off.

So you have to mix both sound, additionally there is a lot in the sim we don't have the same feed back. For example the rumbling you feel when you light up the after burner, the air over the wing at some AOA make a rumbling. You can feel the landing gear come up at hit the uplock hook and feel the light bumps as the door close. It is normal for the GE engine to have a intake "buzz" at some speeds and engine RPM. There is some switch that click that you may hear or not depending of the engine noise. Sound changes if you have things around the aircraft, sound is different in a shelter as oppose to the open ramp or a trim pad or a hush house.

I like the extra sound added in some DCS modules, since it provides feedback we would have in the aircraft but might not be realistic since you may or not hear it in the real thing.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• ED Team

The issue of "hear like in helmet" is that DCS don't normalize volume, and external view/free camera/crash camera and other are extraordinary loud, which mean that when you set your volume to be comfortable with the helmet option, everywhere where the filter isn't applied basically explode your ears.

There are 4 seconds volume fade-in feature in DCS when u jump to external view. And u can adjust the time. You can also adjust the volume of external sounds in the menu. I dont see there any problems.

With regards to the sound - of course, we have seen this and dozens of other videos from the cockpit. And we adjust the sound based on the overall picture of the sound and our own flight experience. We also have pilots on the team who evaluate the sound. But the sound is really something individual. The sound that is good for one pilot will not please the other. Therefore, if someone else from the pilots wants and can help with this - please let me know, I will contact you.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

There are 4 seconds volume fade-in feature in DCS when u jump to external view. And u can adjust the time. You can also adjust the volume of external sounds in the menu. I dont see there any problems.

Wow this is a revelation! Please can you point us how the volume for external views can be adjusted without touching what you hear inside the cockpit with "hear like in helmet" checked?

I'm struggling to find the solution but it seems it was under our nose all the time :)

Looking forward for a reply.

But the sound is really something individual. The sound that is good for one pilot will not please the other. Therefore, if someone else from the pilots wants and can help with this - please let me know, I will contact you.

Sorry but you are not correct here. Sound is a physical phenomenon, and the world is plenty of tools, measurers and math models to describe it correctly.

Just to state it better: SOUND IS NOT SUBJECTIVE, sound is something you can measure, model and reproduce accurately.

Edited by OttoPus

• ED Team
Please can you point us how the volume for external views can be adjusted without touching what you hear inside the cockpit with "hear like in helmet" checked?

OPTIONS -> AUDIO -> WORLD slider

Just to state it better: SOUND IS NOT SUBJECTIVE, sound is something you can measure, model and reproduce accurately.

Some people like some sound mods that I personally feel bad for. And which, in my opinion, have nothing to do with reality. But they like them, and this is their choice.

Best regards,

• ED Team

then I apologize, I did not understand you correctly. Of course, if you make the external sound quieter, then external sounds inside the cockpit will be quieter too. Otherwise, there is a huge number of new bugs :)

And if we add a setting for external sounds in the cockpit, then this will already be a cheat. This topic has already discussed and no changes are planned yet.

We need realism, right?

Ask the F-16 pilot to open the canopy and listen to what's there))))

There should be loud. Very loud.

Fade-In Feature will help u

Best regards,

then I apologize, I did not understand you correctly. Of course, if you make the external sound quieter, then external sounds inside the cockpit will be quieter too. Otherwise, there is a huge number of new bugs :)

And if we add a setting for external sounds in the cockpit, then this will already be a cheat. This topic has already discussed and no changes are planned yet.

We need realism, right?

Ask the F-16 pilot to open the canopy and listen to what's there))))

There should be loud. Very loud.

Fade-In Feature will help u

This line of thinking was "loud and clear" ( pun intended :) ). This is why there is a number of wishlist thread about this very issue... it's a wish.

DCS is all about realism, and this is fine. There must be though some tradeoffs, otherwise there would be no F2 or external views at all, isn't it?

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the off topic.

...You can also adjust the volume of external sounds in the menu...

True, but you can't have split settings for external sounds while in cockpit view and external sounds while on external views.

You either need to be deaf while in cockpit or blow your ears out while in external views.

It can't be that hard to just add a simple function so that it reduces the volume of a set % amount when you switch to any of the external views, can it?

Or even simpler add a multiplier setting for the "hear like in helmet" option.

That way we can set a comfortable level on external views and just increase the multiplier for the helmet point of view.

...There are 4 seconds volume fade-in feature in DCS...

...I dont see there any problems...

The fade in is a nice addition but once the time is passed you still get your ears blown out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

• ED Team

as I said, a separate setting for the volume of external sounds in the cockpit is a cheat. The topic is not as simple as you think. When you start to figure it out and create your own reality in the sound world - a large number of new bugs are born. And it has already been discussed many times.

So that your ears do not fall off - roll the camera away directly from the aircraft. You can adjust fade-in time and roll the camera back to a comfortable distance

Best regards,

as I said, a separate setting for the volume of external sounds in the cockpit is a cheat. The topic is not as simple as you think. When you start to figure it out and create your own reality in the sound world - a large number of new bugs are born. And it has already been discussed many times.

So that your ears do not fall off - roll the camera away directly from the aircraft. You can adjust fade-in time and roll the camera back to a comfortable distance

I think we're not managing to be understood here.

Let me try again.

We are asking to separate WORLD volume from "external view volume".

WORLD can keep operating as it is right now but give us the ability to set somewhere that external views should be quiet.

QUIET not "fading", not "roll the camera away".

External views are key for training in organized groups as they allow instructors to closely watch the other guy.

Tell you what, how about you "lock" the external view sound level to 50% of whatever we set the WORLD slider ?...

we don't want to hear MORE from INSIDE, we want to hear LESS from the damn OUTSIDE cameras

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

• ED Team

We can do even 10% or 5% :) But what will you hear, standing on the ground and opening the canopy?

You will hear the complete absence of a real picture of the sound with an open canopy. This is just one of the new bugs and cheats that will appear due to the fictional sound reality.

Best regards,

With regards to the sound - of course, we have seen this and dozens of other videos from the cockpit. And we adjust the sound based on the overall picture of the sound and our own flight experience.

We also have pilots on the team who evaluate the sound. But the sound is really something individual. The sound that is good for one pilot will not please the other.

Therefore, if someone else from the pilots wants and can help with this - please let me know, I will contact you.

I am the OP, and thank you for answering in this thread. You are probably as passionate as the rest of the developers and the DCS community to get the in-cockpit soundscape as real as possible.

The Viper is a very special bird for many of us, and I hope real Viper pilots can consult ED with the in-cockpit soundscape. We all want the DCS F-16C to be really special and have a rich, realistic and powerful feel for the in-cockpit soundscape experience.

Keep up the good work, and we are all looking forward to the fantastic soundscape the DCS Viper will produce when we roam the skies in DCS pulling 9G while we listen to the eargasm in-cockpit soundscape :)

We can do even 10% or 5% :) But what will you hear, standing on the ground and opening the canopy?

You will hear the complete absence of a real picture of the sound with an open canopy. This is just one of the new bugs and cheats that will appear due to the fictional sound reality.

Sorry but i must ask...

what part about "keep the in cockpit F1 view sounds and external F2 sounds volume separate" isn't clear ?

I understand what you and your collegues have tried (and i must say managed) to achieve when it comes to have a realstic soundscap and we all thank you for this.

What we are asking is to separate the F1 view from F2-F3-F4-F5 volumes.

This implies that if you're on the ground and open your canopy, since you would still be in the F1 view, you would hear stuff as usual and as it is right now already.

But as soon as you press any of the external view cameras buttons (at least the F2 one...) you'd get a reduction in the overall volume.

I'm afraid we've stumbled in a bit of a language barrier issue here

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

Yes, thank you for hearing me out for that (or I just managed report it at the lucky moment while ago).

Now I can crash on the ground without speeding to pull headphones out so I don't damage my ears....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team
Keep up the good work, and we are all looking forward to the fantastic soundscape the DCS Viper will produce when we roam the skies in DCS pulling 9G while we listen to the eargasm in-cockpit soundscape :)

Many thanks ;) I hope you will enjoy it!

Best regards,

And lowering environment sound to avoid becoming deaf if anything else than cockpit view is selected mean that you ear even less what is outside, meaning you have chances to miss an enemy sneaking on you for example...

So you really think you can hear an enemy jet "sneaking up on you" in real life, before it is virtually on top of you? :megalol:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team
Sorry but i must ask...

what part about "keep the in cockpit F1 view sounds and external F2 sounds volume separate" isn't clear ?

I'm afraid we've stumbled in a bit of a language barrier issue here

I apologize, it seems we are a bit confused. Indeed, we can try to reduce the overall volume for the camera F2, F3 .... And keep F1 as it is. It will not be a cheat. :)

Thanks, let's try

Best regards,

The thing is, those 4 seconds shouldn't be needed as the volumes should be normalized.

And the issue of the external sound slider in the menu is that not only it change how in external view the volume of sound is, but it also decrease external sound relatively to the cockpit while in cockpit view, which mean external sound are either too loud and audible in cockpit or normal and too low volume while in cockpit.

"edit, totally rethink the subject"

But lets be clear, I totally understood the point that if we could just put external sound higher while in cockpit without affecting the external view sound, it would be cheat because we would be able to ear better than what is realistically possible in real life.

Now you exposed it to me it seem clear and I actually do agree totally.

So you really think you can hear an enemy jet "sneaking up on you" in real life, before it is virtually on top of you? :megalol:

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea, I don't know how at all the level of perception of the external world's sound a pilot do have. If you tell me we can't, I'll take your word for that as you seem way more knowledgeable to this topic than I am.

My point is about not having such a difference between the internal and external view volume, the limit of how loud we could push world sound while in cockpit shouldn't be based on our real life physical pain tolerance to loud sound when switching to external view or opening the canopy.

The reasoning is that everyone will tend to set the volume on their headset/speakers for what they hear inside the cockpit, so that it is in a comfortable, not too loud or too quiet level, but when switching to external view or opening the cockpit, it then become louder and throw the balance away, even if this is realistic.

I think here, rather than making the sound louder (for example for our own jet sound) it should simply be a different sound which give a sense of power and loudness naturally.

Like comparing the in cockpit sound from the video of the OP, which feel loud and right as what we would hear from inside something with the low frequency and ambiance level as it is, to a sound like this which, even at totally equal volume, sound more powerful and clearly give the sensation to hear it directly :

https://youtu.be/pypfQI_gRIo?t=66

Tho my initial thought of normalizing the sound level by preventing external sound to push more Db than the internal sound could seem like a good idea, the potential to be abused by cranking world slider to max and other sound low and just putting our speakers at max will indeed make external sound easier to perceive from the cockpit and give an advantage to the pilot doing this.

The actual setup still intrigue me and still have the issue of loudness difference, and for someone like me who don't know how the external world is heard from the cockpit, it is actually hard to set it up.

So why not simply having in cockpit sound being literally sound from the cockpit (Buttons/switch, electrical, gyro, air system and anything else that is only heard inside the cockpit) and the world sound affecting all external world sound but also own jet engine, APU, gear, flaps and other devices external to the cockpit, which include impacts/collisions and airflow.

With the Betty/radio being controlled with the "helmet" slider.

This way no one would be able to cheat by increasing the world sound because now this is linked to own aircraft engine too which would mask other external sound the same way for all users, and the cockpit/world sliders will now allow to balance preference ambiance (which is the whole point of having those two separate) without having cheat related issues, and this completely fix the issue of having external view louder than internal view, with a proper power inducing sound for the engine in external view and with canopy open, this won't matter if there isn't a volume difference between closed or open canopy/external view engine sound since their difference will feel authentically by the way it sound rather than how loud it sound.

For more passionate peoples who don't what this, a "through canopy" option could allow external sound (own jet engine and world sound) to be louder when canopy is opened or in external view, since world sound perception this way is still limited by own engine sound, it can't be abused by changing volume sliders, while the option "hear like in helmet" rather than changing the volume of sound, simply apply a transformation which make sound more like if we had something in our head filtering most sharp noise and giving mostly a realistic through helmet experience.

Edited by Demongornot
Didn't read the rest of the topic before answering the quote, oops.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.