DCS F/A-18C OFP 13C, Lot 20, ATFLIR Thread - Page 399 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #3981
watermanpc

Congrats to whoever took the screens, they are ALL epic!

About the hornet itself, I find particulary interesting the CFD based FM...I wonder if there is more info about it and if ED is willing to make a exclusive video covering only the FM and the details about being CFD based...I would love it.

Thanks!

Take a look at my MODS here

Last edited by watermanpc; 01-12-2018 at 08:13 PM.
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #3982
=Buckeye=

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron View Post
I'm so excited!!! This is going to be almost as cool as an F-16!

Had to do it. Someone in another thread said something to the effect the F-18 was like an F16 but better.
At least the Hornet can land on a carrier, that automatically gains it some cool points

On Order:
Custom made Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Halls Sensors and Otto switches

VR Rig:
ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K | Dell U3415W Curved 21:9 3440x1440 on Ergotron LX Tall mount | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #3983
mig29movt

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
Congrats to however took the screens, they are ALL epic!

About the hornet itself, I find particulary interesting the CFD based FM...I wonder if there is more info about it and if ED is willing to make a exclusive video covering only the FM and the details about being CFD based...I would love it.

Thanks!
I think ED could fill books, with the painstaking story about researching and creating the Hornet in this sim.

Maybe they should consider a special extended edition for DCS: F/A-18C Hornet as Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies.

It took me hours and hours to watch all the additional stuff, but it was well worth it

Spoiler:
i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
mig29movt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #3984
lazduc

I cannot encourage everyone enough to purchase the pre-purchase option. The more of you that purchase this Pre-Purchase module will perhaps accelerate the move to a more finished module. Access which will be, "By" the end of spring. The Month of May is end of spring, being just the latest possible time. ( of course subject to change). (May include some of the features listed?)

No, I am Not going to purchase this pre-purchase or early access, although I have made a few pre-purchases in the past. Even the early access module I will have to for-go. That version will Not have, according to the latest info...

" New and updated sensors to include air-to-ground radar, additional air-to-air radar modes, Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS), Link-16 Datalink, and targeting pod.
New weapons such as Harpoon, HARM, Shrike, Maverick, JSOW and SLAM, SLAM-ER missiles, Walleye, laser- and GPS-guided bombs,".

( Somehow I am reminded of paying for the Normandy map and adding the WW2-Asset Pack and seeing that fade into the distance.)

The plan is to slowly code the above features into this module. I will wait till the, can't seem to remember what ED calls that type "release ? Beta final? Stable ?,,, anyway I will wait for that version and hope it will work in 2.5 as a lot or most of the coding was done with older tools.

And I await for the release of 2.5. Will this be a pre/beta/ early access?

Do you think that ED is holding off on somethings because of the difficulty in integrating new features/aircraft/maps/into the newer graphics/engines platforms which will probably be in 2.5 waiting for the dust to settle...?

Perhaps that may be the reason why the 3rd parties are having difficulty.

I might, purchase the Christian Eagle.......looks like a fairly complete module. IMHO.

Will the aircraft carriers be upgraded to match the F-18? Or will ED wait until the F-14 arrives?

Remember..."He who hoots with the Owls all night does not soar with the Eagles at dawn."

Laz
lazduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #3985
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazduc View Post
( Somehow I am reminded of paying for the Normandy map and adding the WW2-Asset Pack and seeing that fade into the distance.)
??

Assets are being worked on and added all the time. Work on the entire WWII era is always on going. Please dont make dramatic statements because its not moving fast enough your yourself.

Quote:
I cannot encourage everyone enough to purchase the pre-purchase option. The more of you that purchase this Pre-Purchase module will perhaps accelerate the move to a more finished module

As well, the amount of pre-purchases wont decrease the wait time, ED isnt holding the Hornet hostage, it still needs work, and they cant always predict issues. SO we have a looser release date.

Quote:
The plan is to slowly code the above features into this module. I will wait till the, can't seem to remember what ED calls that type "release ? Beta final? Stable ?,,, anyway I will wait for that version and hope it will work in 2.5 as a lot or most of the coding was done with older tools.
This is a non-issue. The Hornet is being built on a dev build, most likely a 2.5 build, if not higher, so lets not start anything not based in fact.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #3986
Kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron View Post
I'm so excited!!! This is going to be almost as cool as an F-16!

Had to do it. Someone in another thread said something to the effect the F-18 was like an F16 but better.
F-16 is better at pretty much everything!
Of course I bought the F-18 though
Does this pre-order push the F-14 back even further now?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #3987
watermanpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig29movt View Post
I think ED could fill books, with the painstaking story about researching and creating the Hornet in this sim.

Maybe they should consider a special extended edition for DCS: F/A-18C Hornet as Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies.

It took me hours and hours to watch all the additional stuff, but it was well worth it
Sure, an "in depth" interview with some of the team members for this project would be GREAT. But particulary the FM is what I think is more interesting, even more when they are using CFD...I want to know how and how much this affects the fm in terms of realism and accuracy.

Take a look at my MODS here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #3988
Xenovia

Can someone please explain to me how exactly does JHMCS works? Like mounting it onto the helmet, and how it is integrated with the F/A-18, etc. Much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #3989
mig29movt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
F-16 is better at pretty much everything!
Of course I bought the F-18 though
Does this pre-order push the F-14 back even further now?
Nope , this has nothing to do with the Hornet since the F-14 is being developed by a 3rd party and not ED

Q:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiddx View Post
So, out of curiousity: can there be more than one module in pre-purchase at the same time (would be a first afaik) or does this basically mean that there won't be a 3rd party EA release until summer-ish 2018?
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
No, this wouldnt stop any other modules from being released into EA or pre-purchase.

Spoiler:
i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
mig29movt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #3990
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenovia View Post
Can someone please explain to me how exactly does JHMCS works? Like mounting it onto the helmet, and how it is integrated with the F/A-18, etc. Much appreciated.
If it is fully modeled...

The pilot when looking ahead, in the direction of the HUD, the JHMCS disappears. When looking off to either side, the system reproduces most of what is in the HUD. So a lot of the queues you get in your HUD will show up on your JHMCS.

The pilot also has a targeting reticle in which he/she can set mark points on the ground just by looking at them. The pilot can also use this reticle in conjunction with the Aim-9X to lock / designate aircraft off-bore and fire on them.

I do not know the limitations when it comes to how far to either side the pilot an look.

Tags
f-18