Warthog slew control replacement part

There's been a few requests for a replacement slew control for the warthog.

I am about to start making prototypes of my F-18 grip for the warthog base, so I will include this mini project along with it. Should be fairly straightforward and simple to both make and install.

F-18 grip will still be a prototype, while these would be ready to go straight out of my industrial 3d printer, as they're small and not that essential plastic parts.

Here is a render of the part assembly (in reality they would come with a pre-soldered 5pin cable):

1_zps075683bd.jpg~original

And the removal and installation process would look like this:

1)unscrew the three long screws

2)Unscrew the small one on the other side

3)unplug the 5pin slew connector

4)Push the plastic slew housing latch with a screwdriver

5)it pops right out

6-10) reverse the process for the installation of the replacement slew control

2_zpsad26f341.jpg~original.

How would the joystick work, I don't know, it'll take some experimenting, maybe try a few different ones, we'll see.

Comment or stay tuned for more. I start testing the week after next.

EDIT: I mean, it'll work for sure, it's the same thing as the one inside, just with a full axis movement so the only question is will it feel much better then the cheap cellphone joystick they have in there now.

Edited by hegykc

Ah, there is an interface board within the grip. I had noticed that the firmware communicated with the slew control via I²C and assumed that the slew control itself had an I²C interface. From your photos it appears that the I²C interface chip is on the interface board within the grip.

ETA: Yes, I took my throttle apart, and the slew control is certainly I²C. It's an AMS AS5013, which is a hall sensor solution in a single package with an I²C interface. So I'm a little confused on how you expect all this to work. If you want to make a replacement slew control using the same sensor and interface, the chip is available from digikey in single quantities:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AS5013-IQFT-1000/AS5013-IQFT-1000CT-ND/4740976

Edited by Oydoron

I would very much want to take advantage of this. :D

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Ah, there is an interface board within the grip. I had noticed that the firmware communicated with the slew control via I²C and assumed that the slew control itself had an I²C interface. From your photos it appears that the I²C interface chip is on the interface board within the grip.

ETA: Yes, I took my throttle apart, and the slew control is certainly I²C. It's an AMS AS5013, which is a hall sensor solution in a single package with an I²C interface. So I'm a little confused on how you expect all this to work. If you want to make a replacement slew control using the same sensor and interface, the chip is available from digikey in single quantities:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AS5013-IQFT-1000/AS5013-IQFT-1000CT-ND/4740976

Damn, so it has a second I²C for the slew itself. That's why there's 7 wires going out of that throttle grip, instead of only 5 if it were just the I²C for the digital button inputs?

It's some off the shelf 2-axis with center push unit. I have to do some more research. I could use my design if there was a shift register that takes both digital and analog inputs, then I would just design a mini pcb for my slew design.

IMG_20150110_113305_zpsd6e13d80.jpg~original

Edited by hegykc

I´d say there are two ways to solve this:

1: Use the same chip but construct a better mechanism for it, eg. move the whole button instead of just that little nub.

2: Use a unit like the one in your topmost picture (mini potentiometer joystick like used in gamepads) and then use a microcontroller to read the inputs. The uC then translates this to I2c and sends it to the throttle (you simulate that As5013).

Good luck!

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

Damn, so it has a second I²C for the slew itself. That's why there's 7 wires going out of that throttle grip, instead of only 5 if it were just the I²C for the digital button inputs?

The digital button inputs don't use I²C, just shift registers. There's a line to load the shift registers, and then a clock to get the data out one bit at a time. It's implement on the control chip via it's SPI interface.

It's some off the shelf 2-axis with center push unit. I have to do some more research. I could use my design if there was a shift register that takes both digital and analog inputs, then I would just design a mini pcb for my slew design.

It also looks like it supports the as5011 as well, don't think that helps you though unless you happen to know of a specific product.

Since there are 7 conductors in the cable, the pins in no particular order are most likely:

SCL

SDA

Shift register output (SPI_MISO)

Shift register reset (SPI_CS)

Shift register clock (SPI_CLK)

Power

Ground

I´d say there are two ways to solve this:

1: Use the same chip but construct a better mechanism for it, eg. move the whole button instead of just that little nub.

2: Use a unit like the one in your topmost picture (mini potentiometer joystick like used in gamepads) and then use a microcontroller to read the inputs. The uC then translates this to I2c and sends it to the throttle (you simulate that As5013).

Good luck!

Shouldn't be difficult, he'd just need to implement registers 0x0f, 0x10, 0x11, and 0x2e in the datasheet. And really with 0x0f and 0x2e, he can just ignore the writes and return fixed data. For 0x10 and 0x11, he just need to return pot values.

The main complication is that you'd need to make a calibration program that rewrites the slew control calibration values in the config block.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I found a bunch of these I2C mini joysticks. They're all 2d and have lateral movement, so it'll take a mechanism to convert that into 3d "joystick like" motion + center click.

Doable, but it'll take a bit more time for me to design this. But it'll get done for sure, my warthog compatible F-18 throttle grips also need it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great. Hope I don't have to solder, I hate soldering. Too ham-fisted I guess.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

hanging out... Are you going to sell through ebay or your own site ?

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

very nice ,added to my wishlist

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, I've been wanting something like this since I bought the Warthog.

Definitely on my list now.

I think I've read somewhere that the real one is a pressure sensitive stick that doesn't move, or am I wrong?

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Warthog slew control replacement part

I think I've read somewhere that the real one is a pressure sensitive stick that doesn't move, or am I wrong?

The real one moves. I'll try to remember to upload a picture this evening.

As to the mod, will be a day one purchase for me if/when available!

Only one?...probably get two.

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals