SpeedTrees in Normandy?

Goblin

It’s really interesting to see the SpeedTrees technology being implemented in DCS!

The new Caucasus, and the Strait Of Hormuz map is getting SpeedTree love.

The Normandy map has a lot of beautiful trees, and just isn’t the same without them, although there seem to be a big performance gain from turning down the trees...

Would the Normandy map benefit from SpeedTrees, performance wise?

Is it possible Normandy will be updated with this tech?

I have somehow missed the fact that Normandy was 3rd party. Or maybe I forgot... Happens a lot more often than I care to admit. ;)

The trees in Normandy are really important to the landscape. I guess that can be said for most forested landscapes. But in Normandy the hedgerows and tree lines really frame the fields and makes the landscape come alive.

And since I fly in VR, FPS is really important, so I turn down the tree slider, and that makes a big improvement in performance.

This makes me wonder if using SpeedTrees would make a difference. Just for the sake of argument...

Now, I would guess that updating all of those trees would be a real chore. Or maybe not. I have never made a scenery map :)

All I know is those SpeedTrees, Wags keep showing us, look incredibly nice and that smooth River Hornet video nearly made me cry when I saw the Hornets shadow being projected onto the trees..! Or it could’ve been the music ;)

I’m guessing that the SpeedTree technology is much less demanding on the hardware, than the tree technology used in Normandy.

But then again, once the Hornet is out, I will be stationed on a virtual aircraft carrier, doing carrier ops for months. I guess I won’t see any trees out there on the ocean. ;)

Edited by Goblin

We can all see there would be advantages to it. However, the cost implications - for absolutely no return - would be huge.

It is just technology that arrived too late to be incorporated easily. Maybe in 5 or 10 years there might be a Normandy 2.0, but frankly there are a lot of other items on the wish lists too. 2 engine bombers, 4 engine bombers, Typhoon, Tempest, Me-262, Jug, Earlier marks of 109 and 190, more ground assets...

Time will tell I guess.

However, the cost implications - for absolutely no return - would be huge.

It is just technology that arrived too late to be incorporated easily.

Well, would the cost implications be huge? That’s why I’m asking, because I don’t know how much work is involved. Is it a big deal, or isn’t it?

And SpeedTree has been around for many years. A lot of games use this tech. But at what point it became feasible to use in DCS, I have no idea.

I’m curious to know why ED just now chose SpeedTree for DCS, and a little about how much work is involved. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like the new 2.5 Caucasus was initially made without SpeedTree, and then they decided to put all this extra effort into implementing it.

I mean, it looks really, really good! And if it means a perfomance gain as well, it will be just marvelous! Or is it better looking trees, with the same performance hit?

I’d like to know more, that’s all :)

Perhaps there is a detailed discussion about it, that I have missed?

As for the effort of replacing the trees in Normandy, its current placement feels almost entirely algorithmic, with hedge-rows squares almost everywhere, every single road being lined with trees all the way, and few terrain changes to deal with (which is where stuff tends to mess up the most).

But of course only the devs know the effort involved for certain.

• Like 1

The Normandy map is just not up to scratch and needs a big overhaul. I currently have uninstalled it due to poor FPS and poor quality compared to the 2.5 release quality from ED

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

We can all see there would be advantages to it. However, the cost implications - for absolutely no return - would be huge.

Don't agree with your - for absolutely no return - statement. With 2.5 and speedtrees ED has set the bar. If they want to keep selling new copies of the Normandy map they need to catch up to that standard. So in short: speedtrees = continuous flow of revenue, no speedtrees = no more revenue in the future.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Once that they have purchased the license of Speedtree, it should be feasible for them to incorporate the technology in all the maps. The performance of normandy is awful. I mean how many people have 1080tis? I am a bit lucky to have sli worked successfully. on a single 1070 it was utter dissapointment.

Don't agree with your - for absolutely no return - statement. With 2.5 and speedtrees ED has set the bar. If they want to keep selling new copies of the Normandy map they need to catch up to that standard. So in short: speedtrees = continuous flow of revenue, no speedtrees = no more revenue in the future.

Just to add, if all other 2.5 maps perform much better than Normandy because of this then they should really up the system req's for the map instead of copy-pasting it from DCS.

It would dissuade sales further but at least avoid angry customers since there's no refund policy.

Once that they have purchased the license of Speedtree, it should be feasible for them to incorporate the technology in all the maps. The performance of normandy is awful. I mean how many people have 1080tis? I am a bit lucky to have sli worked successfully. on a single 1070 it was utter dissapointment.

On one friend rig with just 1060-6Gb he manages to get a stable 60+ FPS in 1080p in Normandy with pretty much all maxed out. So I wouldn't call it "dissapointment" for everyone.

But then in other hand, my old rig with single 1080ti was having sub-30 FPS with same settings.

The DCS is very unoptimized for different setups, it can be from a chipset drivers to GPU drivers or just a bad day of the moon circulation.

Just need to wait to get the Vulkan implemented well and get something in DCS changed so things can get far better.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On one friend rig with just 1060-6Gb he manages to get a stable 60+ FPS in 1080p in Normandy with pretty much all maxed out. So I wouldn't call it "dissapointment" for everyone.

But then in other hand, my old rig with single 1080ti was having sub-30 FPS with same settings.

The DCS is very unoptimized for different setups, it can be from a chipset drivers to GPU drivers or just a bad day of the moon circulation.

Just need to wait to get the Vulkan implemented well and get something in DCS changed so things can get far better.

With 1080ti u should be getting awsome fps. There is a setting, I dont exactly remember, but I think its dept of field. Its a big fps eater. Turn it off and hopefully u will get good fps.

As regards your friend's system, The resolution must be low. with 1080p and everything maxed out, if hes getting 60+fps near ground, then its nothing less than a miracle.

With 1080ti u should be getting awsome fps. There is a setting, I dont exactly remember, but I think its dept of field. Its a big fps eater. Turn it off and hopefully u will get good fps.

As regards your friend's system, The resolution must be low. with 1080p and everything maxed out, if hes getting 60+fps near ground, then its nothing less than a miracle.

Oh all is tested. Shadows off, all effects off and not much help. He has all maxed but blur and lens effects off and AA at 2x.

And this ain't the first 1080ti I know has such problems (7700/8700 CPU) in low FPS.

That is the problem, there ain't just one hardware criteria that guarantees you high FPS. It is combination of all from manufacturers to drivers versions and other tiny details.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Oh all is tested. Shadows off, all effects off and not much help. He has all maxed but blur and lens effects off and AA at 2x.

And this ain't the first 1080ti I know has such problems (7700/8700 CPU) in low FPS.

That is the problem, there ain't just one hardware criteria that guarantees you high FPS. It is combination of all from manufacturers to drivers versions and other tiny details.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Your typing is prefect. No worries. lets just hope 2.5 takes full advantage of your beast 1080ti and give you awsome results :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Normandy Map is the only purchase so far I do regret. And I regret a lot. In VR its just unplayable. Super studders while Nevada and Caucassus run completely fine in 2.5. Constantly drops below 45 fps ASW then anything starts to shoot boom 20s. Its horribly optimized.

• Like 1

Normandy Map is the only purchase so far I do regret. And I regret a lot. In VR its just unplayable. Super studders while Nevada and Caucassus run completely fine in 2.5. Constantly drops below 45 fps ASW then anything starts to shoot boom 20s. Its horribly optimized.

I do not share this experience. I am a primary VR pilot and I truly enjoy Normandy. I get great performance! What GPU do you have?

The problem for me is because each of the maps are optimised differently and have different tech in each, I’m having to change the settings for each map whenever I want to fly. I wish there was some kind of multiple save settings feature where I could save a particular setting to a particular map. Think I’ll add this to the wish list thread too.

• Like 1

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The problem for me is because each of the maps are optimised differently and have different tech in each, I’m having to change the settings for each map whenever I want to fly. I wish there was some kind of multiple save settings feature where I could save a particular setting to a particular map. Think I’ll add this to the wish list thread too.

good suggestion.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I do not share this experience. I am a primary VR pilot and I truly enjoy Normandy. I get great performance! What GPU do you have?

Titan X Pascal, 8700k at 5000 MHZ 32 gb ram intel optane SSD. The point is its only Normandy. Of course I can reduce trees to close to zero turn defered shading off buit hen I need different settings just for this map and it proofs taht this map in comparison is behind terchnically.