Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

On 9/11/2022 at 9:38 PM, Charly_Owl said:

At the moment, I have written more than 400 pages for the AH-64. The cockpit description, start-up, takeoff, landing, and sensors sections are complete. The weapons section is still being worked on. Once the weapons section is complete, I still have to work on the navigation, autopilot, powerplant, countermeasures, multicrew, and aerodynamics sections, which should prove to be slightly "less complicated".

Work on the Mirage F1 guide has not started yet. I'd rather not work on stuff in parallel since I know some users are getting impatient about the AH-64 guide.

Thanks Chuck, really appreciate the clear feedback good man. ❤️ keep up the good work, really excited for both, as usual.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hairdo1-1 said:

So first and foremost thank you for the incredible work @Charly_Owl. I’d be lost without these guides. No small ask but I wonder if it might even be possible to format the guides in a way that I could import to a kneeboard. Right now the orientation makes this hard. When in VR this would be incredibly helpful. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, but...

Square Peg, Round Hole. If you're anything like me, you may… | by Al Dea |  Careerschooled | Medium

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Hairdo1-1 said:

So first and foremost thank you for the incredible work @Charly_Owl. I’d be lost without these guides. No small ask but I wonder if it might even be possible to format the guides in a way that I could import to a kneeboard. Right now the orientation makes this hard. When in VR this would be incredibly helpful. 

Why don't you try to do it yourself ?

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

5 hours ago, Hairdo1-1 said:

I'm using my tablet to do the same, just turned in landscape position.

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Small typo in F-5E guide on p144.  'DM mode is selected by setting the Dogfight/Resume Search Switch AFT' should be FWD.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's far from ideal, but I've recently been using the "Desktop" view from the Home or SteamVR toolbar (edit - or flipping to the desktop when using Virtual Desktop for wireless VR) to view progs and documents outside of my sim. It's not like having it on your lap, or knee, but it's better than having to constantly lift the headset - and it works a lot better than i thought it would.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 3 weeks later...

Both Mirage2000 radar emission channel knobs work in DCS now. (page 49, "(Not Functional)")

• Like 1
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

immersion with VR, and looking over at another computer is about the only way I can find  notes or a guide while flying

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 3:41 AM, Hairdo1-1 said:

I have recently started using OpenKneeboard in VR. It really is excellent and you can set a max width so that landscape pdfs display with the correct aspect ratio whilst other portrait tabs are also correct as it resizes the kneeboard automatically. If you have a graphics tablet you can make notes and also navigate the pdf's content menu to quickly move between chapters etc. It is a great complement to Chuck's Guides in VR IMHO.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Charly_Owl, I recently posted on the M2000 forum about not being able to get the Weapons SystemCMD Depress to unlock ground targets - as stated in your guide - to work, and I got replies from an expert saying that it doesn't do that in Air to Ground, only Air to Air.

Maybe this needs to be corrected?  The page references are on the linked thread, but they are p221, p229 and p245.

It even says in the RAZBAM manual that depress has no function in Air to Ground - p130.

Thanks.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Pretty sure the info about snowplough mode on the Hornet ATFLKIR is incorrect.

Point 5 below seems incorrect to me.  For me, as well as YT vids I looked at, the left/right/up/down degrees are the same as the VVI, when starting the snowplough mode.

Worth a check, I would say. 

j1.jpg

My source is my eyes! If I switch from VVSLV to Snowplough there is no change in the l/r/u/d angle. Also, looking at various tutorials on YT, the situation is the same. 

Whether that is intended behavior or not is exactly what I'm asking. The logic of many systems in many DCS modules has changed more times than I can count. 

It would seem strange to me that Snowplow mode is just removed from the ATFLIR while it was used in the LITENING... without having this change documented anywhere in the Eagle Dynamics manual.

I know what you mean. I think when I looked, the word snowplough is not even in ED manual!

I’ll ask in the Hornet forum. 

I put out the question on the Hornet forum, but I did see this from @Frederfon the beta team.  This suggests there is no snowplough mode on the AT FLIR.

h1.jpg

Pretty convinced now that after looking around, there isn't a snowplough mode for the ATFLIR that changes the l/r/u/d angle. Litening, yes, ATFLIR no.

See post above, and p453 in ED's manual for the description of tracking modes and behaviour of undesignate button.

Double pressing undesignate when in VVSLV changes to INR.

• 2 weeks later...

@Charly_OwlBignewy has set the thread I posted in the Hornet forum on this as 'investigating'.  After searching everywhere I can, I see no evidence of a snowplough mode in the ATFLIR, and certainly no mention of anything that drops to -8 degrees.  Double clicking from VVSLV takes the ATFLIR into INR mode.

Just spotted another minor error.  On P187, it says that button PB20 'MODE' selects the radar mode, but that button is not modelled in DCS.  It is PB5 that selects the radar mode.