Black out = death 90% of the time?

hideki2

Unlike other modules once you black out in Viggen, you are usually done for. Is that how it really is? The pilot in Viggen usually does not seem to recover from black out. On top of that it is very easy to black out. Sometimes all you have to do is to fly with ALT autopilot on at Mach 1+ and disable autopilot. Any comment on that?

Remember you go into black-out when entering negative-g, and in that state it's pretty impossible for the pilot to take the aircraft out of that negative-g configuration, unless aerodynamical effects will help you.

I have witnessed (F2) my Viggen perform numerous inverted loops before hitting ground.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I think it is extremely easy to over G in the Viggen. As soon as you are near M1 and pull the stick 1/3 to 1/2 you blackout. Sometimes you have time to react because the screen goes black slowly but sometimes it's more like a instant blackout. If you watch your flight in TACVIEW you can see that you pull easy over 10G or 11G. I had one case where i pulled 11.6G without a blackout and after that pulling 11.9G and watching both of my wings break without a blackout. In the second case i pulled 10.7G and blacked out....

Most of the time i fly fast and low in the Viggen, in case of blackout = instant death for me. :D

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Some plane have systems to recover from black out. For example T38 (and maybe f5) have a weighted pilot stick, where it naturally centers the more you pull g the more it wants to go forward. Also sometimas my viggen ends up flying neutral ish g for really while, without recovering.

Depends on how you blackout. I have never had any more issues with the viggen, and usually recover quite quickly. Then again, if I just yank the stick at M1.5 and pull a ridiculous number of G's, you'll black out, and possibly not recover for a little while. If you just pull 7-8g for a bit, you should recover quite quickly. Slamming -6G or something will be even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

The next patch will fix an issue where the Seriestrim (transsonic autotrim) where disabled when autopilot was engaged. So oftentimes if you turned on the autopilot and accelerated from subsonic to supersonic and then disabled autopilot the seriestrim wouldnt have time to catch-up and the plane would instantly dive, often blacking-out the pilot.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Black out = death 90% of the time?

Depends on how you blackout. I have never had any more issues with the viggen, and usually recover quite quickly. Then again, if I just yank the stick at M1.5 and pull a ridiculous number of G's, you'll black out, and possibly not recover for a little while. If you just pull 7-8g for a bit, you should recover quite quickly. Slamming -6G or something will be even worse.

It’s not physically possible to pull more than like 6G’s at M1,5 in the Viggen (altitude 9000m) (8km=5G, 7km=4.5G, 10km=5G)

One limit is the servos, they just aren’t strong enough. There are more limitations, seriestrim, rudder angle(max-22) and AoA.

At lower altitude 0-2km and M0,8-ish you can pull up to 12G though ( I think this is when you transition from M1+ to subsonic and the seriestrim give you more rudder authority, so if you pull max during the transition you might get this high, if I understood correctly that is... (and I might have mixed it up with a warning that the transition has this character and you need to be aware<-most likely this...) )

Edited by outbaxx

The next patch will fix an issue where the Seriestrim (transsonic autotrim) where disabled when autopilot was engaged. So oftentimes if you turned on the autopilot and accelerated from subsonic to supersonic and then disabled autopilot the seriestrim wouldnt have time to catch-up and the plane would instantly dive, often blacking-out the pilot.

Thank you! Thi is exactly what was bugging me!