FC4 airplanes vs FC3, is it worth to buy FC3 now or beter wait for FC4?

bies

Since there is a sale my brother wanted to jump to DCS and he was thinking about buying FC3 but i know there will be FC4 available in a few months.

What planes will FC4 include, the same as FC3 or different? I mean is it worth to buy FC3 now or beter wait for FC4?

cheers and have a nice day

There's very little point in waiting with the sale IMO. Not likely there's a sale on MAC for a while. And you gain different kinds of option value.

You can choose NOT to upgrade to MAC.

You can choose to upgrade to MAC.

You can choose to buy additional MAC aircraft only individually.

OR you can choose to buy full detail versions of the additional aircraft!

Personally I already chose the last one - got tired waiting for MAC with no news or release dates in sight. The Mig-15 is a blast! This option of course is more expensive but in the long run it can be much more rewarding. Once people learn the basics they develop a thirst for high-fidelity modules and can pick them up quickly.

The maps will muddle the waters a little bit, but again I'd prefer the option of getting the full PG map. Would doubt there's any nice mountain areas (Iran inland) in the limited version. They're more like demo versions I'd think and will be mostly ignored by the active MP community.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Mo planes Mo problems...

My advice would be to get FC3 now. Yes, MAC will have more planes available to fly, but if you want to become proficient in any of them you'll need to devote some time to each one. So get FC3 now, fly the heck out of those planes, and then if you feel you're getting bored, buy the MAC upgrade or start picking up modules a la carte.

well, I only have the A10C and it called it 'game mode' so that's all I know. Sorry

FYI: "game mode" is available as DCS option and it enables you to fly any module like an arcade game with very simple flight model, all seeing radar, simple navigation and some other gamy stuff like labels, arrows...

SSM (FC3) is more like Full Fidelity module with the same Advanced or Professional level flight model but missing many non-crucial systems like advanced radio and navigation systems. Some other systems are just simplified. And obviously the cockpit is not clickable.

For all new pilots: please read the aircraft manual from beginning to the end. Yes, it's a long read and you want to just sit and fly, but it's all there - all answers, all you want to know, all you will need to know.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Game mode applies only to flight model. You can work with instruments in game mode just like in sim mode if you want to, same for labels (you can turn them off) etc. The settings is there, check/uncheck anything by your will. In game mode flight model is forgiving. It feels like you fly something with very advanced flight control that is doing most for you and don't let you get in the situations where you could kill yourself (well... it tries to at least). For example in Ka50, game model basically eliminates sliding caused by wind, eliminates possibility to get into vortex ring (as it limits speed in which you are able to descend) etc. It is good if you are not experienced player to get familiar with the aircraft and systems first, but it is not very fun to play in this mode so you will eventually switch to sim mode to seek bigger challenge.

I'd buy FC3 now because before MAC is released it will be some time (we know ED, right?) and at the beginning it will be half-way done and plagued with bugs (hello Hornet). Simply don't get confused by official release date, I bet it will be fairly well done after half of the year from that date, maybe later. So, there is still much time to enjoy FC3 and it is imho the best module to start for a new player - plenty of different aircrafts so you can figure out what suits you best (CAP/CAS) and simplified controls are also good when you are trying to learn something new. Worst thing to do is to buy A10C as first module and try to learn 600 pages manual only to realize after a month you don't enjoy CAS and you would rather be shooting down enemy aircrafts.