[NO BUG] Yak-52 Rudder problem

Quetzalkoatl

I've spotted that Yak-52 suffers from quite significant rudder problem.

When plane is standing on the ground and during taxing with little amount of throttle nothing happens.

But as soon as you start increasing power in order to take off rudder moves 8-10% to the left and remains at this position all the time when in air (no matter what % of throttle is set).

That makes plane roll to the left (around 1 degree per 5-7 seconds) and not being able to hold heading.

I need to point out that my rudder trim in special settings is set to 0.

This is correct, the Yak-52 has a fixed trim tab on the rudder (which you can adjust in settings), so when there is enough airflow, the tab is pushing the rudder in a certain direction.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I've spotted that Yak-52 suffers from quite significant rudder problem.

When plane is standing on the ground and during taxing with little amount of throttle nothing happens.

But as soon as you start increasing power in order to take off rudder moves 8-10% to the left and remains at this position all the time when in air (no matter what % of throttle is set).

That makes plane roll to the left (around 1 degree per 5-7 seconds) and not being able to hold heading.

I need to point out that my rudder trim in special settings is set to 0.

The Yak-52 has a fixed rudder trim tab that is set for neutral rudder at approx 200 kph, AFAIK below that speed it requires left rudder and above - right rudder.

... there is no in-flight trimmable rudder on the Yak-52, it is a fixed tab so it is only ever truly 'in trim' at one speed. For most Yak's in the US this is set at 110 kts (~202 kph) because that is our typical formation sortie speed that gives us plenty of performance margin.

In the Yak-52's initial release, there was a FM bug that set the trim tab at zero and rudder input was incorrect.

As the bug is fixed the aircraft will be factory trimmed at 200 kph, so you wil apply left or right rudder depending on speed.

Although rudder trim/behaviour has changed, AFAIK it is still WIP

Rudder is definitely off in the wrong direction now for most flight regimes, only needs active left rudder at speeds below 150 kph or so, this with takeoff assist off and no change to the base trim setting - not realistic. Right rudder requirement is better than before but not enough required, transition between amount needed for left and right rudder with speed changes is too abrupt and also not enough travel required.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080