Any cure for stuttering?!

2.5 here, recently installed on an uber-fast 960 EVO M.2 drive.

Still have stuttering while flying.

I was wondering if adding another 16GB of RAM, for 32GB total, would cure it, but... in my own experience, NOTHING cures it. I currently have my pagefile.sys on the SATA SSD, 24GB pagefile. No improvement.

Any cure? Done the whole delete shader cache thing, newest video drivers... no improvement. People with GTX 1080 Ti cards and lots of RAM, and whopping LGA2011 CPUs post their vids on Youtube, and still have stutters.

Seems like even the almighty 2.5 has *serious* programming shortcomings.

System specs below.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

JUst found a youtube video about setting cpu core affinity which he claimed helps. Cant wait to try.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I was suffering from stuttering. Another forum member recommended a few ideas, and they seem to have resolved most of mine:

- Delete the folders FXO and Metashaders from your User/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta folder

- Disable MSI Afterburner, or at least change the refresh monitoring time from 1000ms to 60k

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Turning off my network adapter (WiFi) fixed my stutters but I don't know if that would apply to everyone. It seems there are many different fixes for it and not many ideas for the root cause.

System Specs: Virpil WarBRD Base, Virpil Mongoose T-50CM stick w/Virpil desk mount, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/Virpil desk mount, MFG Crosswind RP, TrackIR 5, Stream Deck 32, Windows 11 Home 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3600, Asus X570 TUF Gaming Pro WiFi MoBo, XFX RX 6800 XT Merc 319, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 2TB WD Blue HDD 5400rpm, 1TB WD Black 750 NVMe M.2 SSD, No Optical drive, Onboard Audio + Avid Eleven Rack Audio Interface.

You can try nvidia 385.69 drivers. Many users tend to have less stutter with them.

You can move your pagefile to ssd, buy some RAM(i know right;) ) and turn down some settings, try lowest first to check if your setup can handle lowest without stutter and go from there. Watch out for preload setting

EDIT: don't mess with affinity please, there's no magic affinity trick - it will mess your setup. Just turn off unneeded processes (check it with ctrl+shift+esc and cleanup your mess if something works too much there. Don't kill important services just unneeded ones)

Edited by soundslikerust

Turning off my network adapter (WiFi) fixed my stutters but I don't know if that would apply to everyone. It seems there are many different fixes for it and not many ideas for the root cause.

Others have reported muting the microphone helps. Whether it's network activity or mic activity, it probably means that the CPU is busing doing something else and causing DCS to stutter. Eliminating these distractions for CPU helps, I'm sure. As does assigning affinity, or moving other tasks off of physical cores with process lasso.

It may also be why it helps others not but everyone.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From what I've discovered using perfmon, here's the most popular files are getting queued by DCS 2.5:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\vfstextures\LandTexturesSummer.zip (we are flying in the summer)

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Surface\Caucasus.surface5 (6G in size)

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Scenes (1G in size)

\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache (if there's is a setting in nvidia profile to store shader cache)

That files constantly produce read transactions.

I'm seriously considered moving to M.2 960 to eliminate all that latencies, but now I'm not sure.

From what I've discovered using perfmon, here's the most popular files are getting queued by DCS 2.5:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\vfstextures\LandTexturesSummer.zip (we are flying in the summer)

\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache (if there's is a setting in nvidia profile to store shader cache)

I'm seriously considered moving to M.2 960 to eliminate all that latencies, but now I'm not sure.

Game engine data streaming is perfectly fine i have it too but it's very fast. What's your specs? if you have SSD already m.2 won't help much. It gets worse if you have:

• 16GB RAM,

• Almost full SSD (it gets slower)

• opened browser while playing

• 2-4GB Graphics memory

• some processes ruining your cpu or gpu (process explorer - turn on GPU tab, it can show you disk, cpu, gpu, network usage, )

than your problem is probably on this list

You may try turning off your monitor - it will help with stutter for sure :megalol:

Edited by soundslikerust

Hello Guys,

I am suffering the same stuttering problem and a guy posted a trick that fixed the issue (at least for some people).

Some of you have probably installed the game on a SDD HD. Good choice I would say BUT it seems important to move the C:\Users\'user's name'\Saved Games folder to the SDD as well.

So, here is the procedure to move this Saved Game folder :

- create a new saved game folder on your SSD

- go to the folder that hold your current Saved Game folder (normally, this is C:\Users\'user's name'\)

- Make a right clic on Saved Folder and select properties

- there is a tab called location, select it

-in this location tab, clic on Move and select the folder you created on your SSD. Windows will manage to move the files. That's it.

I hope it will help.

Thanks to Icemaker/C6 for the trick !!

I'm running DCS off a 960 EVO M.2 drive. They're fast as holy heck, and do reduce load times, but don't do anything for the stuttering.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Hello Guys,

I am suffering the same stuttering problem and a guy posted a trick that fixed the issue (at least for some people).

Some of you have probably installed the game on a SDD HD. Good choice I would say BUT it seems important to move the C:\Users\'user's name'\Saved Games folder to the SDD as well.

So, here is the procedure to move this Saved Game folder :

- create a new saved game folder on your SSD

- go to the folder that hold your current Saved Game folder (normally, this is C:\Users\'user's name'\)

- Make a right clic on Saved Folder and select properties

- there is a tab called location, select it

-in this location tab, clic on Move and select the folder you created on your SSD. Windows will manage to move the files. That's it.

I hope it will help.

Thanks to Icemaker/C6 for the trick !!

I'll certainly give it a try.

So, do you do this with User\Saved Games, or with User\Saved Games\DCS World?

My Saved Games folder has no "location" tab. I'm using Win7. Any ideas?

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey
felt like it

Kit:

Try my checklist

(or go #voodoo and turn off wifi)

I have an 8GB video card (GTX 1070) and 16GB of DDR4 3000 MHz RAM.

Turning down graphics detail doesn't make any difference, so I'm not inclined to think it's a memory issue... although, DCS does use a heck of a lot of memory, I've seen it use 60GB, that's a huge swap file :)

AD

Kit:

I have an 8GB video card (GTX 1070) and 16GB of DDR4 3000 MHz RAM.

Turning down graphics detail doesn't make any difference, so I'm not inclined to think it's a memory issue... although, DCS does use a heck of a lot of memory, I've seen it use 60GB, that's a huge swap file :)

AD

Look at my second post.

Also keep in mind that DCS has some memory leaks now.

Look at my second post.

Also keep in mind that DCS has some memory leaks now.

Did you notice a significant improvement with 32GB of RAM? I've been wondering about that, but the stuff is awfully expensive.

I've tried running it on minimum settings. It improves framerates, but doesn't help with stuttering.

AD

Kit:

Did you notice a significant improvement with 32GB of RAM? I've been wondering about that, but the stuff is awfully expensive.

I've tried running it on minimum settings. It improves framerates, but doesn't help with stuttering.

AD

Turn lowest settings possible, ALT-TAB to windows, run process explorer. Turn on GPU tab, Network tab, disk tabs to find what's your system is doing (click on the tab to make it in descending order).

You can move settings folder to ssd like some other guy said (it won't help much), moving pagefile to SSD is good also. DO not keep your disks at almost full.

RAM helps coz You can turn pagefile to smallest possible (just don't turn it off because some processes could start to behave strangely looking for it and slowing down your system) and DCS has some memory leaks also. But RAM is pricey.

It won't help with stutter from other processes tho - you have to use process explorer for that. Just find what is working while you play and verify if you can uninstall or turn it off. It doesn't have to use 30% of CPU it can be 2% and be the cause. Remember your CPU doesn't have to be utilized 100%. It just will not make it in frame time.

Try NVIDIA 385.69 drivers because it's known some new drivers are not slower but has little less frame time consistency.:thumbup:

Edited by soundslikerust

Turn lowest settings possible, ALT-TAB to windows, run process explorer. Turn on GPU tab, Network tab, disk tabs to find what's your system is doing (click on the tab to make it in descending order).

You can move settings folder to ssd like some other guy said (it won't help much), moving pagefile to SSD is good also. DO not keep your disks at almost full.

RAM helps coz You can turn pagefile to smallest possible (just don't turn it off because some processes could start to behave strangely looking for it and slowing down your system) and DCS has some memory leaks also. But RAM is pricey.

It won't help with stutter from other processes tho - you have to use process explorer for that. Just find what is working while you play and verify if you can uninstall or turn it off. It doesn't have to use 30% of CPU it can be 2% and be the cause. Remember your CPU doesn't have to be utilized 100%. It just will not make it in frame time.

Try NVIDIA 385.69 drivers because it's known some new drivers are not slower but has little less frame time consistency.:thumbup:

Ok, I just got Process Explorer going... Looks kinda cool to play with :) This should let me know wazzup.

I also installed 385.69 Nvidia driver... tried it, doesn't seem to make any difference really. But, I'll use it for now, since re-installing the latest one is a bit of a pain :)

I currently have a 24GB pagefile on my regular SATA SSD. It hasn't helped any, so I'll probably just move it back to a mechanical hard disk. As I said, DCS itself is running off my ultra-fast 960 EVO M.2 drive (250GB capacity), which is what I bought it for :) The M.2 SSD is just under half full, so no problems there. Lots of room for more DCS stuff if I can sort this out (F/A-18C and Hormuz... Mmmmm!)

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'd REALLY like to sort this out so I can just enjoy the damn sim, but although I'm not a coder, I have a gut feeling that it's a shortcoming in how the DCS simulation engine itself is written. Everyone seems to have this problem, even though quite a few people are rocking the Ultra-Uber-Hyper-Mega-PC-of-the-Gods with more memory than a human brain, liquid helium cooled uber-CPUs and half a dozen Titans in SLI and all that crazy jive, they STILL get stuttering--and in technical terms, that's just beyond lameass. If your gaming PC costs almost as much as a real fighter jet, there's just no excuse for it.

Hopefull we'll all (Hear me, ED? Huh? Huh? Huh eh?! Hear me?!?!) get this sorted out soon so we can just enjoy flying.

Peace

AD

Kit:

I'm not a coder, I have a gut feeling that it's a shortcoming in how the DCS simulation engine itself is written. Everyone seems to have this problem, even though quite a few people are rocking the Ultra-Uber-Hyper-Mega-PC-of-the-Gods with more memory than a human brain, liquid helium cooled uber-CPUs and half a dozen Titans in SLI and all that crazy jive, they STILL get stuttering--and in technical terms, that's just beyond lameass. If your gaming PC costs almost as much as a real fighter jet, there's just no excuse for it.

Hopefull we'll all (Hear me, ED? Huh? Huh? Huh eh?! Hear me?!?!) get this sorted out soon so we can just enjoy flying.

Peace

AD

You're perfectly right on this, there are many bugs in DCS engine, memory leaks, bad streaming engine, nonexistent multithreading, VR engine is worse than bad after 1.5.6 they did something wrong with it.

I hope they will manage those because we as all DCS players can not manage more shopping. Almost all players have 1080/1080ti's craploads of ram and fast processors. We're waiting for ED to carry out with the engine :thumbup::pilotfly:

Edited by soundslikerust

You're perfectly right on this, there are many bugs in DCS engine, memory leaks, bad streaming engine, nonexistent multithreading, VR engine is worse than bad after 1.5.6 they did something wrong with it.

I hope they will manage those because we as all DCS players can not manage more shopping. Almost all players have 1080/1080ti's craploads of ram and fast processors. We're waiting for ED to carry out with the engine :thumbup::pilotfly:

I know man... I don't wanna be a whiny bitch, or a buzzkill for that matter, but ED would be well to do if they laid off on things like the Strait of Hormuz, the ultra-detailed F/A-18C, etc. etc. etc. for a while, and just FIXED the blinkin' sim engine!

We have the new Caucasus map. That's great for now. Enough already, time to FIX STUFF!!!

I'm still trying to get a handle on what's causing the stuttering, and as much as I love ED's content-related work, I've just about had enough of all this and wish I could just "game" instead of trying to "diagnose". If people with computers that cost more than my internal organs are worth on the black market can't get a handle on it, then it's not a problem than can be solved by throwing more money/hardware at it.

Peace

AD

Kit:

I'll certainly give it a try.

So, do you do this with User\Saved Games, or with User\Saved Games\DCS World?

My Saved Games folder has no "location" tab. I'm using Win7. Any ideas?

AD

Your saved games folder should be located in C: /users/yourusername/Saved Games

If you want to move it:

Navigate to c: /users/yourusername -> right click “Saved Games” -> click properties -> go to the location tab -> click move and select the new directory

Your saved games folder should be located in C: /users/yourusername/Saved Games

If you want to move it:

Navigate to c: /users/yourusername -> right click “Saved Games” -> click properties -> go to the location tab -> click move and select the new directory

I have no "location" tab... Maybe it's 'cause I'm using Windows 7.

I suppose I could just move it, and see if DCS World detects it. Unlikely :)

Thanks anyway

AD

Kit:

Oh yeah, I almost mentioned... There's a substantial difference between 385.69 drivers, and the latest ones (I just installed 390.77).

The newest ones have better colors. I'm not just making it up; I had a good look at the older vs. newer drivers and the newer ones do a better job of rendering the full color spectrum. Everything looks better, the old ones had a 'washed out' look to them, kind of like a TN panel :)

Just for the record, I *did* remember to set my monitor to 10-bit color depth. The new drivers are still better... I never noticed any difference in stuttering between the two.

AD

Kit:

I have no "location" tab... Maybe it's 'cause I'm using Windows 7.

I suppose I could just move it, and see if DCS World detects it. Unlikely :)

Thanks anyway

AD

It won't detect it. But you can move folder (not copy):

• copy whole path of your save folder to notebook or something
  • move folder
  • run cmd.exe as admin
  • mklink /D "c:\original_folder_path" "d:\moved_folder_path"

EDIT thanks for info on newer drivers i'm going to check it:thumbup: but keep in mind when you are under cloud or there's no clouds there is different lightning in game

Edited by soundslikerust

I'm still getting the odd micro load stutter ( SSD samsung950 pro )

-started since 2.5 update

so I figure its obviously a DCS flaw, just leaving it to them to fix,

my Hi spec PC runs everything else without a single stutter etc

-best not fiddle for hours, spend £'s on hardware, its a DCS software problem