Good plane for VR?

helgeras

Hi,

until now I have only flown helicopters in DCS (the Huey), I am thinking of buying a modern plane to try out that side too.

I am only flying in VR, so am looking for recommendations for a plane that works well in VR.

All the ones I’ve tried so far have been great in VR. But I do find that the more complicated the aircraft, the smaller some of the dials etc, will have to be, so sometimes a bit tricky to read. Also, the control panels can reach behind you making lots of swivelling round necessary.

It depends what type of plane you are looking for. Personally, I have found the F5 to be the best in my hangar for VR. All controls where you can see them, and everything perfectly readable. And a lovely plane to fly too.

Not F-16. The MFDs are not legeble in VR.

Other then that, they are all fun.

Well, that depends. You are partly right. But their readability depends on how high you have set your pixel density in the VR options. I used to have mine at 1.3 and then it was as you said hard to read.

But sins I upgraded my graphics card to RTX 2080ti I have been able to increase it to 1.7 and after that they are much clearer.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

I've found the Hornet, Harrier and Warthog all excellent in VR...Tomcat too is fantastic, the way your head moves in the mirrors and the ability to turn round and see Jester are really immersive details. Tomcat cockpit though is still a bit of a performance hog compared to the others so bear that in mind depending on your system.

Flying in VR is not the same for everyone. I began with Rift CV1 +1070 and am now on Reverb +2080S. I would have made different recommendations for each.

For lower quality VR I'd be tempted to rule out certain modules, for varying reasons. Traditional non electronic guages can be excellent for glancing, but ONLY after you worked out what the numbers were and have good references. Altitude can be especially annoying to read, even if the tens of feet are much easier. VVI is obviously easiest. Speed, once you worked out the position of the needle meant X, is fine. Small switches you didnt learn yet are harder to learn in VR.

Modern huds are usually all readable, but the modern fighters have different issues, usually around the MFD's. The easiest benchmark is the F-16. Completely unreadable radar with Oculus Rift CV1, to the point where it caused me to spend nearly a thousand pounds to upgrade to Reverb+2080s over 6 months just so I could use it. However... now I can. And it's completely readable in my setup, so... this is important to understand where folks talk about F-16 negatively. Which is why I began by saying not all VR is equal. It's worth mentioning that the Harrier is easy to read most everywhere but it still has MFD's with imagery and patch to patch IR stuff can be a bit painful to interpret. The Tomcat is a funny one... performance - yes a bit, small items, yes very much, but how many items did I learn eventually? All of them, and it became a non issue. Learning the cockpit comes. But nothing was as frustrating as the first cold start tutorial in the Oculus Rift CV1. Mirage is a bit painful around the small black buttons in the corners. F-18 is OK, but again the FCR, especially around the altitude next to the locked item, really clutters badly and needed the Reverb grunt.

So, YMMV, depending on your hardware. It's the combat requirements that can be the main differentiator, and they all have individual quirks or pain points for low quality VR setups, mainly MFDs, Radar and imagery/pod work. It's never the flying, modern jets are so hands free compared to a helicopter or warbird. So if you aren't worried about trying to be competitive, pick the module that performs the roles you like most. F-18C is hard not to recommend due to that versatility, but if you have a passion for something, follow that instead.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

there is a mod for this in the DCS mod section,

" F-16C Display Readability"

Tried it. Helps a bit. But it's BS.

i have no issues reading A-10 MFDs, no problem with M2k radar, F-15 is working just fine, and No problems with the instruments of the 'cat. However, Viper is just no go for me (and I assume for many others). Regardelss I prefer Cat over all other DCS planes so I don't really care :)

I tested Hornet and Harrier when they were free and noticed nothing problems with VR (Reverb).

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

F-15 C, cheap, performant, with nearly as good a visibility as for the F-16, I had mine at $7.49, you can't get a better deal than that.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

For a great flight experiences, nothing beats helicopters.

But I like the AV-8B N/A from Razbam to be a great for VR. There is just something that makes it such a pleasure to operate in cockpit.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.