VPC Mongoose base with TM F-22 Pro stick?

Hi guys,

I have a Thrustmaster F-22 Pro stick (never used) and I'm wondering whether it would be possible to attach it to a VPC Mongoose T-50 base?

I'm tired of not being able to use the F-22 Pro (gameport) and am wondering if this might be a possible solution.

The reason I ask is that I've noticed on their webpage that the Mongoose base is compatible with the TM Cougar grip, but I'm not sure about how similar the Cougar is to the F-22 Pro.

Thanks for your help,

pngflyer

Hi pngflyer!

Interesting question, I've personally never see a TM F-22 Pro so I can't comment myself, but if you send an email to support@virpil.com with some more details on the TM F-22 stick, perhaps some photos of the stick and the connector etc, I can get our electronics engineer to check it out and get you an answer :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi pngflyer!

Electrically F-22 grip is identical to Cougar/ Warthog- it uses 3 CD4021 shift register IC's. Moreover, Cougar/ Warthog stock adapter will fit F-22 grip so that it can be mounted on Mongoose base. However you'll need to solder five wires from the adapter to the PCB inside the grip directly as it doesn't use a connector.

You can also get a proper adapter here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

• Thanks 1

Besides this Debolestis adapter is need Gardena nut, see:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3069942&postcount=428

Detailed there:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2943388#post2943388

Plus a PS2 connector (male/female) the F22 PRO grip can became "PnP" (like Cougar/Warthog).

BTW - Installing Shift Register PCB (CD4021B) - see Debolestis topic for layout - any joystick grip, or even real grip can be used in VirPil base (or Warthog base), easy due their compatibility with Thrustmaster Cougar/Warthog connector.

Of course, grips like CH, Saitek will require a bit more of DIY installing the Shift Register PCB inside and the adapter (I think Debolestis can drawn adapters for different grips if someone furnished measures).

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys. I've been doing heaps of reading trying to understand the issues here. Still reading at the moment, so I'm not quite sure which way I'll go.

Thanks again for your helpful replies.

pngflyer

Hi!. You need following:

1. Tailpiece

2. Gardena nut

3. 5 pin mini din male connector

4. This is optional, a paddle lever for F22/FLCS/Cougar

Solder wires to connector like in this image:

uUm1cWF.jpg

It is actually Cougar in the photo but wiring scheme is the same, wire colors are the same.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the pics guys and the specific help. I've been doing heaps of reading on this the last few days and I've learned a lot.

@ RightStuff, for sure that is an option, and that will give me USB compatability. The problem is I'd still be stuck with potentiometers which, even though they've seen almost no use, are sure to give me trouble in the not too distant future. This is the problem I'm trying to get around. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to attempt a Hall sensor and USB conversion.

pngflyer

• Like 1

If you intend is use a better base like VirPil or Baur BRD bases - F22 PRO base has too heavy springs for comfortable use and lot of play in gimbal pivot's (no bushing or bearing is used) what make problematic for use contactless sensor - both are "Bolt and Play" compatible with Cougar/Warthog grips.

With parts Debolestis link you leave F22 grip "Bolt and Play".

You can buy from Thrustmaster a standalone Warthog grip (without base) for around $120, compare with this price what you will spend in the modification, in the positive side F22 PRO switches is OMRON (like in CH, VKB, Virpil sticks, not sure but think that in Cougar too) and not that cheap (to make) copper membranes switches used in Warthog grip.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I have the f-22 and tqs too, tusba was suppose to be the answer....... I hope the thread continues, I currently use x65f and love it but would love the feel of a conventional stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thanks to debolestis and Sergey_Pe for taking the time to post this. I used your pics to convert my own F-22 to work on Warthog compatible devices.

For some reason the second stage of the trigger doesn't work (doesn't look like anything is pinched), but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

For some reason the second stage of the trigger doesn't work (doesn't look like anything is pinched), but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

I have this issue in one F-22 PRO, discovery that the issue is the small rubber pad over trigger that press second stage became smashed and don't make more the needed pressure. Replace this with small coil - cut from ball pen coil and work OK.

• Thanks 1

I have the f-22 and tqs too, tusba was suppose to be the answer....... I

Old question, but no, TUSBA is not the answer for F22 PRO+TQS.

TUSBA is for Cougar+TQS, different electronics in each.

F22PRO + TQS require DIY adapter.

Debolestis have pointed option, and now Rel4y sell ready to use electronics and sensor that is suitable.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

I have this issue in one F-22 PRO, discovery that the issue is the small rubber pad over trigger that press second stage became smashed and don't make more the needed pressure. Replace this with small coil - cut from ball pen coil and work OK.

Any chance you have a picture of the part you used? Either way, thanks for the hint. I still hear a click when I pull to the second detent, but maybe that isn't the switch actuating.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Ah, great, thanks Sokol, I’ll give that a shot. Your knowledge with joystick stuff has been great over the years, thanks a bunch!

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Seems the rubber pad is actuating the switch just fine. All the wiring looks intact as well. Guess maybe it’s just a bad switch. I wonder if it’s possible to transfer Cougar or Warthog internals to an F-22 grip shell.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Maybe the switch is dead, or maybe the braid is broken somewhere. These OMRON switches are pretty tough, but who knows? The type is called OMRON B3F4055.

Edited by rel4y
  • Thanks 1

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

You hear click in second switch?

If have n multimeter can test switch using continuity mode.

The second switch was clicking, but I wasn't getting an indication under Windows test.

I had a Cougar grip laying around, so I decided to take a look at the internals. Everything is pretty much the same, except smaller, so I decided to give the swap a go.

So far so good. I have the F-22 grip back together with the Cougar PCB, and all switches and wiring, and everything tested out okay.

The swap took about 4.5 hours of work (I'm slow, and didn't want to mess anything up). That includes breaking the solder on one of the switches, and having to repair it.

All in all, I'm happy with the results. Hopefully this grip, paired with an extension, won't be too heavy for my Brunner CLS-E.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

• 2 months later...

DCS will recognize F-22PRO (+TQS) buttons - if Windows recognize then as "game controller".

Their issue is be a gameport controllers, gameport is no longer officially supported by Windows after XP.

Hence need replace their electronics with USB controller, if interest in this, look at Rel4y parts.

Edited by Sokol1_br