New Flares in OpenBeta 1.2.12......?!?!?

FlyNate

1.2.12 is now out for DCS, and the flares still suck, lol. May not be a big deal for some, and I understand, I just think they could have spent that time working on other know issues instead of changing something that didn't have anything wrong with it.

Here is the change log Nate

DCS World 1.2.12 Change Log

DCS World

Flares and signal flares trajectory fixed

So actually they were fixing it so they realized that the effect also need some tweak :)

Drag of the flares has been adjusted to match much more realistic trajectory of the flares. The effect is likely still WIP... you will get to like them soon enough.

I really hated the way flares when dropped would just keep going as same speed as aircraft... this is now matter of the past ;)

No longer active in DCS...

I agree Kuky...its nice to see the flares have their own trajectory and weight. I also do love the effect... It might require some color tweaks...but I think it might look better in edge.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Their not all that's changed for better check out explosions and explosion concussion wakes. Theirs Allot of additional improvements not listed by change log. Great job Ed!

Factory smoke looks epic !

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Comeon... its not that bad. The smoke actually looks better than the paper cut out version of the old school LOMAC style flares. Wait till how it looks in 2.0.

2014-12-04_00001_zpscb1cf410.jpg

2014-12-04_00002_zpscdda88a6.jpg

Not tried with the update yet but those flares look pretty good! Certainly better than the old 2d sprites with weird smoke.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

thanks for the new flares! !

People fail to understand how this whole process is going... You would have now a pretty good grasp on things if you followed since... 1.3. Atleast for me.

Each plane has a certain aspect to it. Then AFM, EFM, ETC. came into play. Certain features were introduced then removed to not yet able to work w/ current engine as more bug fixes come. Changing back to old flares is not a option, but i degrees... Now refining the new ones, i'll patiently wait for the pros to decide.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I found pretty cool the new flare's light effect and how it is able to be rendered to people who uses occulus rift and some other sort of equipment, but I can't get my head around the fact the flare's smoke is too short and have that much width. The previous smoke effect was always pretty close to the real thing since LOMAC.

http://contrailscience.com/wp-content/uploads/hires_070914-f-0528c-004.jpg

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/best-military-photos-seahawks-shooting-flares.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJv1KycA6iwjpz3LdNFDIjBEJMgfvHZOl_0L7JyebEMdHerecDdQ

Apache Demo Flares, Flares, Flares !!!

I will keep my opinion about the looks of the new flares on hold,

I guess it's really in preparation for use in EDGE in DCS-World 2.0

Here is your chance to compare ...

The flares are thrown from 1.30 minutes on ... :pilotfly:

Or just enjoy the whole video of this awesome display team of the RNLAF :thumbup:

Check here :

Edited by Wine

These are the flares you all want in DCS:

Do not worry, we will get a better and nicer flare in DCSW also.

Smoke trail needs to get wider/dense, flare model needs to get smaller and long-drawn-flight directional on the longitudinal axis. Not a big thing/deal. :)

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

The main thing that needs addressing is the amount of momentum that DCS flares carry, they just don't separate from the aircraft fast enough. They also burn too long in most cases (although this depends which flare you compare to).

What we really need are multiple flare types in DCS.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Not to forget proper release programs with intervals wouldn't hurt either, provided the modeling of flare effectiveness is realistic. Else it's just 'cool' to do it the right way.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

1. they just don't separate from the aircraft fast enough

2. What we really need are multiple flare types in DCS.

1. You can easily adjust/edit that in PlaneConst.lua as a vector ;)

2. I agree but we need more chaff types as well and a new chaff model also what is one of the oldest model in DCSW (from Flanker2) :D

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

I think the old flares were fine. They didn't look dated at all to me.

That said, the new flares are fine. It's the smoke I have some issue with. It's a bit sterile. But as long as they keep the ET's away...

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

+1

The new flares are pretty good.

I agree. They seem to burn out too fast + the smoke is a bit off. But keep up the good job ED. We know you will tweak it even more. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

That's also not good.
IMHO they look the most like those you see in the dozens of YT clips if you compare them with the old and new DCS flares. Do you have some reference pictures of how you'd want them to look?

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Personally I dont see what the big issue is...

I spend a majority of my time in the A-10C, so the only time I see flares is when I'm poppin them off looking for SAMs.

That being said, They are NOT that much of a visual concern even in their current form for me to worry about, considering they are likely only around for a few weeks to a few months.

if they bother you that much, you could try to bring the 1.2.11 .fx files to the 1.2.12 install, but dont come crying to me when it breaks your install.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs