How-to: Create net settings that fit YOUR connection!

In computers (1's and 0's) a Kilo is 1024 as everything is on the power of 8.

You are correct on everything except this.

The semantics of kilo does not change simply because of the fact that the environment is a binary number system.

The meaning of kilo has always been "thousand" with no respect to a number base, e.g., 10^3 in the base-10 system. By stating that kilo all of a sudden means 1024 in a base-2 computer environment, you are dirrctly changing its definition to mean the number given by 2^10, which has absolutely nothing to do with "kilo".

Ki, or kibi means a multiplum of 1024, or 2^10. K, or kilo means a multiplum of 1000, or 10^3.

And there is no "power of 8" as you described it involved in the discussion of the semantics of kilo.

Edited by LostOblivion

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

@LostOblivion...

The byte (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png /ˈbt/) is a unit of digital information in computing and telecommunications that most commonly consists of eight bits. Historically, a byte was the number of bits used to encode a single character of text in a computer[1][2] and for this reason it is the basic addressable element in many computer architectures. The size of the byte has historically been hardware dependent and no definitive standards existed that mandated the size. The de facto standard of eight bits is a convenient power of two permitting the values 0 through 255 for one byte. With ISO/IEC 80000-13, this common meaning was codified in a formal standard. Many types of applications use variables representable in eight or fewer bits, and processor designers optimize for this common usage. The popularity of major commercial computing architectures have aided in the ubiquitous acceptance of the 8-bit size.[3]

The term octet was defined to explicitly denote a sequence of 8 bits because of the ambiguity associated at the time with the term byte.[4]

History

The term byte was coined by Werner Buchholz in July 1956, during the early design phase for the IBM Stretch computer.[5][6] It is a deliberate respelling of bite to avoid accidental mutation to bit.[1]

Early computers used a variety of 4-bit binary coded decimal (BCD) representations and the 6-bit codes for printable graphic patterns common in the U.S. Army (Fieldata) and Navy. These representations included alphanumeric characters and special graphical symbols. These sets were expanded in 1963 to 7 bits of coding, called the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) as the Federal Information Processing Standard which replaced the incompatible teleprinter codes in use by different branches of the U.S. government. ASCII included the distinction of upper and lower case alphabets and a set of control characters to facilitate the transmission of written language as well as printing device functions, such as page advance and line feed, and the physical or logical control of data flow over the transmission media. During the early 1960s, while also active in ASCII standardization, IBM simultaneously introduced in its product line of System/360 the 8-bit Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC), an expansion of their 6-bit binary-coded decimal (BCDIC) representation used in earlier card punches.[7] The prominence of the System/360 led to the ubiquitous adoption of the 8-bit storage size, while in detail the EBCDIC and ASCII encoding schemes are different.

In the early 1960s, AT&T introduced digital telephony first on long-distance trunk lines. These used the 8-bit µ-law encoding. This large investment promised to reduce transmission costs for 8-bit data. The use of 8-bit codes for digital telephony also caused 8-bit data octets to be adopted as the basic data unit of the early Internet.[citation needed]

The development of 8-bit microprocessors in the 1970s popularized this storage size. Microprocessors such as the Intel 8008, the direct predecessor of the 8080 and the 8086, used in early personal computers, could also perform a small number of operations on four bits, such as the DAA (Decimal Add Adjust) instruction, and the auxiliary carry (AC/NA) flag, which were used to implement decimal arithmetic routines. These four-bit quantities are sometimes called nibbles, and correspond to hexadecimal digits.

The term octet is used to unambiguously specify a size of eight bits, and is used extensively in protocol definitions, for example.

Unit symbol

The unit symbol for the byte is specified in IEC80000-13, IEEE 1541 and the Metric Interchange Format[8] as the upper-case character B.

In the International System of Units (SI), B is the symbol of the bel, a unit of logarithmic power ratios named after Alexander Graham Bell. The usage of B for byte therefore conflicts with this definition. It is also not consistent with the SI convention that only units named after persons should be capitalized. However, there is little danger of confusion because the bel is a rarely used unit. It is used primarily in its decadic fraction, the decibel (dB), for signal strength and sound pressure level measurements, while a unit for one tenth of a byte, i.e. the decibyte, is never used.

The unit symbol kB is commonly used for kilobyte, but may be confused with the common meaning of kb for kilobit. IEEE 1541 specifies the lower case character b as the symbol for bit; however, the IEC 60027 and Metric-Interchange-Format specify bit (e.g., Mbit for megabit) for the symbol, a sufficient disambiguation from byte.[citation needed]

The lowercase letter o for octet is defined as the symbol for octet in IEC 80000-13[note 1] and is commonly used in several non-English languages (e.g., French[9] and Romanian), and is also used with metric prefixes (for example, ko and Mo)

Today the harmonized ISO/IEC 80000-13:2008 – Quantities and units — Part 13: Information science and technology standard cancels and replaces subclauses 3.8 and 3.9 of IEC 60027-2:2005, namely those related to Information theory and Prefixes for binary multiples.[citation needed]

Unit multiples

See also: Binary prefix

Considerable confusion exists about the meanings of the SI (or metric) prefixes used with the unit byte, especially concerning prefixes such as kilo (k or K) and mega (M) as shown in the chart Prefixes for bit and byte. Computer memory is designed with binary logic, multiples are expressed in powers of 2. The software and computer industries often use binary approximations of the SI-prefixed quantities, while producers of computer storage devices prefer the SI values. This is the reason for specifying computer hard drive capacities of, say, 100 GB, when it contains 93 GiB of storage space.

While the numerical difference between the decimal and binary interpretations is relatively small for the prefixes kilo and mega, it grows to over 20% for prefix yotta, illustrated in the linear-log graph (at right) of difference versus storage size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I had to laugh there as most of your copy-paste from the wikipedia-article has nothing to do with what I wrote earlier.

With regard to the part about unit multiples, I suggest you read it again, especially the paragraph where it says "The software and computer industries often use binary approximations of the SI-prefixed quantities". What it means is simply that it is common to do so, but as the article indirectly states is that it is an inaccurates usage that has sprung from convenience, which is why the less used term, but correct term, kibi, and so on should really be used instead.

This is clearly a confusing subject to many, when in reality it is quite simple.

• Like 1

I had to laugh there as most of your copy-paste from the wikipedia-article has nothing to do with what I wrote earlier.

With regard to the part about unit multiples, I suggest you read it again, especially the paragraph where it says "The software and computer industries often use binary approximations of the SI-prefixed quantities". What it means is simply that it is common to do so, but as the article indirectly states is that it is an inaccurates usage that has sprung from convenience, which is why the less used term, but correct term, kibi, and so on should really be used instead.

This is clearly a confusing subject to many, when in reality it is quite simple.

You can larf all you want, but realise while you're doing so that in the world there are many different standards to go by... imperial and metric being one with metric and binary, being another. Is a Canadian and US dollar the same value?

Did you stop to think though, whilst you were larfing, that I may have been expanding on your post?? Different namings always makes things confusing

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

and I'm not arguing either... or larfing :music_whistling:

-

@MODS: I am not sure but I think this is a useful tip and I'd be happy about a sticky.

At least it is part of the wiki now to describe how to improve the own Connection. I only need to adjust that entry a little...but no more today :)

well done... Thanks, mega

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I have tried this and I do not get the option to come up in the drop down for conection settings. Have i missed somthing?

Does this look like right path?

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\net

Speed.bmp

Edited by Keyholebud

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7-7700K 4.5 Ghz AMD Vega 56 64GB DDR4 3200 500 GB WD Black NVME M.2 X4 SSD

Yes, you are correct about this... but if you want to calculate REAL data throughput you would need to use 1024 as multiple, which is what I think ED did when they declared kBit = 1024/8

No longer active in DCS...

In regard to the kBit variable used in the network file mentioned, it is simply a convenient way to convert bits per second into bytes per second, given an 8-bit byte, which is what is eventually stored. You can then write the code as if it was a natural language, e.g., 64*kBit, to easily state that you have a 64 kBit per second network connection. This is common, and encouraged, in programming as it makes readability much better than if you would write a more correct name for the same variable, which would be something like "kilobyteToKilobitRatio".

The reason 1024 is used and not 1000 is nothing but arbitrary, but the correctness of the conversion really depends on what you enter. If you measured your network bandwidth from speedtest.net, like me, and it states you have a 9.52 Mbps down/up bandwidth, then it is 9,520 kbits per second, or 9,520,000 bits per second, if the semantics of M, k, and so on, is separated by a factor of 1000.

With no regard to the opinions about what size you should really type in, let us say you type in the following.

{ADSL.." 9520", 9520*kBit, 9520*kBit},

It would be wrong anyway, because the evaluation in this script uses a separating factor of 1024. Ok, we fix it, we take 9.52 Mbps and convert it to kbit using a separating factor of 1024, we get 9.52*1024=~9748, so we type in the following.

{ADSL.." 9748", 9748*kBit, 9748*kBit},

Would this be correct? Might be, but it really depends on what speedtest.net stated their Mbps and kbps in. Garbage in, garbage out.

When it comes to sizes like these, it usually does not matter what you use as long as you agree on what to use.

Lost

Edited by LostOblivion

At least it is part of the wiki now to describe how to improve the own Connection. I only need to adjust that entry a little...but no more today :)

well done... Thanks, mega

Thank you.

I have tried this and I do not get the option to come up in the drop down for conection settings. Have i missed somthing?

Does this look like right path?

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\net

This looks right. No idea why you're not seeing it. :-/ You sure you save it right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

This doesn't help. At all as far i can see.

Was hosting a mission with 13-15 clients. I have a stable 60fps, and a stable 100/100mbit fibre connection. I ping 4-6ms to almost every place in Sweden (only Swedish clients).

Output from the host was 400-750KB/s (and that is not just DCS, i might've had uTorrent running too.)

Clients was seeing something around 5KB/sec.

5KB/sec equals ~0.05Mbit/sec so DCS should in theory be playable with a standard 1 channel ISDN connection.

The client disconnect issue has nothing to do with choking the connection, even if i host with 100/100, and clients connect with 100/100 they still get the crash occasionally.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

ED changed something.

I remember 150% that before I created this thread I was able to boost my upload speed for missions from 50 KB/s to 150KB/s. Clients recieved missions much faster.

I just did testing with a buddy. I had my server set to "Modem", my custom setting and "LAN" and there was NO difference in upload speed at all. Upload speed always stayed at 50KB/s. I also restarted the game after every net settings change so the network.cfg can be written properly and reloaded on game startup.

Yeah, something has been changed and probably broken by accident. ****.

Edited by Megagoth1702

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Part of this excellent discussion is just silly.

Just a question...

With the different settings, what changes ?

1. Is it the speed of data transferred ? or

2. Is there a also change in what data or packet size that gets sent ?

If 1. then could it be possible to have some sort of auto detection of the capability ?

Edited by macedk
wording of the first line was wrong

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

actually nothing changes.

The settings can be made, but it actually does nothing. This is based on extensive testing and monitoring of server bandwidth and client connections.

seeing as you asked.

cheers :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Noting changes anymore at least.

no for sure, you're absolutely right, but initially, i did see an increase in server speed, but then this also initiated a lot of timeouts without the idle and game timouts added as global command sin the Network.cfg.

Thanks for your efforts though mate. Initially a great little hack. now........................................

Regards

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG