How to Correctly Install Your Mods

If adding a TempTextures folder under DCS/DCS.openalpha doesn't work, rename the conflicting textures to something other than what the 'default' texture used by DCS is named. If you have multiple liveries that use a specific texture, place only one copy of that texture in a livery folder you designate as the primary (master) livery. Open the description.lua for all the liveries and change the texture name (not material name) for that texture to the new name. Set every livery but the primary livery to "true" meaning the texture for those liveries is outside of that specific folder. For the primary livery keep that texture as "false".

That did the trick, many thanks!:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

What do you mean by

place only one copy of that texture in a livery folder you designate as the primary (master) livery. .

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

What do you mean by

Of x number of liveries you are working with, choose a primary livery to place all the textures that the other liveries share in that folder. This is good for liveries that share multiple textures but only have different decals.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, so I've been doing some modding for DCS already, sound and textures.

Today, I attempted to install a flyable aircraft, specifically the MiG-31. Initially I had more issues, because I didn't know you were supposed to put mods in the Saved Games directory, learning that fixed a swath of problems.

Now, that said, I'm still having some problems. The aircraft displays in modules, it displays in the list of aircraft as yellow with "player" as a selectable option, but when I go ingame the AI is in control of the aircraft and only the external view is available. I've tested both on the ramp, and on the runway, but this problem persists.

I am using 2.x, and I realise many of the mods are intended for 1.5, but this type of mod does not seem like the sort of thing that would be dependent on version, since it's stripped down and using pre-existing assets and data.

Any commentary on what may be causing the problem? Thank you in advance.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

@uboats: Can I put modified "default.lua" and their equivalents (like "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua") under Saved Games, and will they override the stock versions?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Today, I attempted to install a flyable aircraft, specifically the MiG-31. Initially I had more issues, because I didn't know you were supposed to put mods in the Saved Games directory, learning that fixed a swath of problems.

Now, that said, I'm still having some problems. The aircraft displays in modules, it displays in the list of aircraft as yellow with "player" as a selectable option, but when I go ingame the AI is in control of the aircraft and only the external view is available. I've tested both on the ramp, and on the runway, but this problem persists.

Any commentary on what may be causing the problem?

If you are referring to this Mod:

I couldn't make it work either ... probably was broken by the last update to 2.3

May I suggest that you use Mods better supported by their authors ... like VSN or Markindel, they at least give clear installation instructions and update their Mods fairly frequently to keep abreast of DCS changes ...

these are some of their Mods that work well, you need to have the P-51 and or FC3 for them to work, since they use cockpits from those planes.

Screen_171213_121249.jpeg

Screen_171213_121253.jpeg

Screen_171213_121259.jpeg

Screen_171213_121303.jpeg

Screen_171213_121428.jpeg

Screen_171213_121441.jpeg

Screen_171213_121511.jpeg

Screen_171213_121521.jpeg

:) Best regards and a thank you to the Mod's creators.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Aircraft Civil Mod is working.

But I've another problem.

Version : 1.5.8 - just after update :/

Can't open my mission because of this:

( click on photo if it's black )

a4479ce511f8.png

The mod: https://virpil.com/en/news/58-vpc-airfield-equipment-dlya-dcs-world

Edited by Valium

• 4 weeks later...

So I just bought NTTR and F-5E, after a two year hiatus. I used to play A-10C standalone Steam version.

Now, onto DCS World.

So if I want to add new liveries for some jets, what folders should I create on my /Saved Games/ directory?

Mods/aircraft?

CoreMods?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

So if I want to add new liveries for some jets, what folders should I create on my /Saved Games/ directory?

Mods/aircraft?

CoreMods?

Not there, you should create a folder for each aircraft on /saved games/dcs.openalpha/Liveries/

The name of each folder should be the same that the game uses for its native liveries (you can see them on /program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world 2 openalpha/coremods/aircraft/)

I've attached a screengrab of my own folders ... the one that start with "cockpit_" are for custom cockpit skins (except the A-10C and Mig-21, which for some unknown reason use a -CPT or _CP suffix)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

This is a very intersting subject but very confusing as it is not written in easy speak. I have had some success with plane mods, kneeboards and liveries. The real problems arise with ground textures, sound etc.

I have tried many ideas to get certain sound mods to work but still have to install them in main dcs directory to work. As yet, i have had no luck getting any ground texture to work at all.

I think it would be a great idea if this was laid out for anyone to understand as there are so many ifs and maybes. Before, we had no trouble getting anything to work, now its a mammoth task. I hope that ED and the guys can ease this situation for all of us, techie or not.

General rules for 2.5

Aircraft mods - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\mods\aircraft\aircraft name

Vehicle / Boats - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\mods\tech\vehicle name

Cockpits - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Liveries\cockpit_aircraftname

liveries - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Liveries\aircraft name

**(NB aircraft name must exactly match the aircraft name in either - drive:\dcs\mods\aircraft\aircraft name\liveries or drive:\dcs\core mods\aircraft\aircraft name\liveries)**

Sounds - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Sounds

and forget about Ground textures for 2.5 for time being, the file structure and how textures are used needs to be worked out, Mustang only recently (yesterday) worked out the Noise channel layout for the new texture structure, so there's a ways to go yet before we get ground texture mods again - and then Everything is subject to change

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

@MoGas

unzip and add attached texture file to here: Drive:\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\TempTextures

it should pass IC, and doesn't get replaced by updates as far as I've noticed, if you run a cleanup the updater gives you the option to keep or move to the file to backup folder, in case you need to clean out your install folders

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Dingo Bob,

Any idea of how / where to put a custom squadron and logo?

Used to go in MissionEditor and Scripts in the past of my base install. Now it fails the manifest for './Scripts/Database/troops/USA.lua'

Edit: Quite the hassle this has become to be honest. :(

Edited by Mud
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

yeah since last update editing any main game files especially in the scripts & database folders stops the sim loading at all

but you could try constructing the folder in saved games folder

the .png image instead of here:-- drive:\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\data\images\Countries\USA\Troops

would go here:--drive:\users\username\aved games\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\data\images\Countries\USA\Troops

and your edited scripts that were here:-- here:\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Troops\USA.lua

instead would go here:-- drive:\users\username\saved games\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Troops\USA.lua

but not sure if that works for those file types not something I've done in the past

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah since last update editing any main game files especially in the scripts & database folders stops the sim loading at all

the .png image instead of here:-- drive:\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\data\images\Countries\USA\Troops

would go here:--drive:\users\username\aved games\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\data\images\Countries\USA\Troops

and your edited scripts that were here:-- here:\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Troops\USA.lua

instead would go here:-- drive:\users\username\saved games\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\Troops\USA.lua

but not sure if that works for those file types not something I've done in the past

Yeah, that was my first thought also. But it doesn't appear to be working.

I suppose it's all still WIP and hopefully it will be streamlined or at least well documented.

Spoiler

But it doesn't appear to be working.

It does not. Thanks a bunch ED :doh: I've got a tonload of mods still worked fine until the last big patch, and if there's no way of getting them to work anymore, I think I need to find me another hobby. Arrgh...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Just be patient. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Spoiler

This.

It's not hard. If something still doesn't work, you may have to try something slightly different. Regardless, everything mod-wise must be in the saved games/DCS folder.

Edited by Tailhook

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...
This.

It's not hard. If something still doesn't work, you may have to try something slightly different. Regardless, everything mod-wise must be in the saved games/DCS folder.

Well, this for instance does not work:

I also have no clue why USA.lua for instance causes an integrity check failure. I mean it changes nothing that alters sim mechanics.

Spoiler

• 2 months later...
General rules for 2.5

Aircraft mods - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\mods\aircraft\aircraft name

Vehicle / Boats - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\mods\tech\vehicle name

Cockpits - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Liveries\cockpit_aircraftname

liveries - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Liveries\aircraft name

**(NB aircraft name must exactly match the aircraft name in either - drive:\dcs\mods\aircraft\aircraft name\liveries or drive:\dcs\core mods\aircraft\aircraft name\liveries)**

Sounds - drive:\users\username\saved games\dcs\Sounds

and forget about Ground textures for 2.5 for time being, the file structure and how textures are used needs to be worked out, Mustang only recently (yesterday) worked out the Noise channel layout for the new texture structure, so there's a ways to go yet before we get ground texture mods again - and then Everything is subject to change

In the above strings, do you mean "DCS", or "DCS.OpenBeta"?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my JSGME folder in C\USERS\USERS\SAVED GAMES\DCS.OPEN BETA\_MODS. When I open the JSGME folder, all of my mods are listed.

I also have a _MODS folder in the same as above. When I open the _MODS folder, the same mods are listed.

But, I can't get any of those mods to work after they are activated.

What am I doing wrong?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.