Iris magnetic force feedback

Heh! I also thought about this :p

I like it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. The linear glide model is capable of higher force than most FFB systems I've seen. Although it looks like it consumes a lot of power.

Looks like it consumes lots of money too. I can't see this stick being affordable.

I agree... but it does look promising.

Almost like some kind of infinitely adjustable stick to you airframes needs.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 9 months later...

Necro, I know...

I wonder what became of this. If they ever come out with a ffb base that I can mount the warthog or any f-18 type of stick to, I‘d be happyto get one. Otherwise why else would they have mounted this specific grip to it :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Necro, I know...

I wonder what became of this. If they ever come out with a ffb base that I can mount the warthog or any f-18 type of stick to, I‘d be happyto get one. Otherwise why else would they have mounted this specific grip to it :joystick:

Brummer has off-shelf FF bases for this already. Not sure about the Iris stuff, though they turned up at flight sim trade shows recently showing more of their hardware and in different form factors so it seems like they're moving forward with them one way or another.

Here's a link to Brummer's unit... 5Nm force, accepts TM/VPC/etc grips and it's relatively compact as well https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

If the price comparison and feature list and performance of Brummer's yoke vs Iris's is similar, Brummer has a lot more to offer and for less money in addition to being established already in the field of flight simulation and control loading.

Brummer's prices are at the high end of the spectrum, but it would be worth it if the quality is as high as the price... TM with force feedback! The feel and accuracy of the stick would have to beat the VKB MCG Pro to get my money, but I can see the combined stick/rudder pedals package in my system. But my wife might kill me if she caught me spending that much money. Then again, she once offered to allow me to buy an F-4 ejection seat training cockpit from eBay and I had to turn it down because I had no where to put it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Once again, the Brunner CLS-E joystick won't work because it doesn't use the DirectInput force feedback API. Please stop suggesting it, someone's bound to buy it without doing enough research and be sorely disappointed when they find out that it doesn't work with DCS.

So you say is impossible to build an API for DCS to work with it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

So you say is impossible to build an API for DCS to work with it?

Actually I sent them an enquiry last summer regarding their CLS-E cyclic.

Here is their answer:

"unfortunalely we do not have experice with ED DCS yet.we directly support X-plane, prepar3D and MS FSX with our CLS2SIM Sw enviroment. https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls2sim-software/"

I don`t find this very appealing. Even if they decide to support DCS, you still cannot use your high end stick with other sims like CloD, BoB, Condor or whatever comes up. The CLS-E cost 8000EUR by the way :cry:

Edited by VO101_MMaister

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

It's not impossible, but it's difficult. DCS does not export FFB data, so a virtual joystick device has to be created that can receive and process the data. Also, the FFB API uses 'shapes' such as Damper, Friction, Sine, Spring, etc, and the joystick hardware is supposed to handle the implementation of these shapes. This saves the devs the trouble of having to create commands with the correct tweens so that they can say "do a sine movement for 500ms with a force of 2.0" instead of actually having to draw out the sine wave and constantly send it over to the joystick.

The CLS-E joystick has an API available to control it via software, but it only seems to support two types of forces: an 'active' force that applies a force in a direction with a certain magnitude, and a 'passive' force that attempts to keep the joystick in a certain position, resisting any movement away from that position with a certain magnitude. In order for it to work with DCS, software needs to be written that will adapt the force feedback API's shapes to the two types of forces that the CLS-E supports.

The best party to write that software would be Brunner, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg issue. There's not much point for them to spend the time to write the software for DCS if nobody's going to buy their base, but until they write the software, nobody's going to buy their base. In the past I considered picking up the base and writing the software myself, but given that there's not a single review of it anywhere, I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Edited by Ranma13

Are there actual Brunner sticks in the wild? So far all I've seen are the renders

Edited by DayGlow

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

The best party to write that software would be Brunner, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg issue. There's not much point for them to spend the time to write the software for DCS if nobody's going to buy their base, but until they write the software, nobody's going to buy their base. In the past I considered picking up the base and writing the software myself, but given that there's not a single review of it anywhere, I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Wouldn't ED be better choice for that actually knowing the DCS? As Brunner should provide a API/ABI to ED for their controller so then ED can write the plugin?

The problem would be fixed by Brunner to send the test unit to ED, that then does main work and then both Brunner and ED market it for DCS compatible...

That way customers doesn't need to be the guinea pigs nor wait that something gets done.

Hardware manufacturer provides the hardware.

Software manufacturer provides the software.

Customers use results from both...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No, it doesn't make sense to do it that way. DCS implements the common standard (DirectInput FFB API), whereas Brunner uses custom software. What you're proposing is like saying that hardware manufacturers should send their devices to Microsoft so that Microsoft can write a custom driver for it. It doesn't work like that. Microsoft creates a common standard (for example the HID interface), and if you have a custom device that doesn't use that standard, it's up to you to write the driver for it.

Boo to custom drivers

Yeh to standardize controllers

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 5 months later...

The price for the BRUNNER CLS-E shows 1249 euros for me in the US. Is it higher in other markets? One thing I remember from flying the F-18 and F-14 simulators at Norfolk was how the stick “Talked” to you, it made you trim and added that something extra that made you feel like you were flying. Are there any other FFB stick bases on the market that work with DCS? It seems like I find something new every day like the Brunner base. It is expensive but if it works it might be worth the cost.

• 2 months later...
The price for the BRUNNER CLS-E shows 1249 euros for me in the US. Is it higher in other markets? One thing I remember from flying the F-18 and F-14 simulators at Norfolk was how the stick “Talked” to you, it made you trim and added that something extra that made you feel like you were flying. Are there any other FFB stick bases on the market that work with DCS? It seems like I find something new every day like the Brunner base. It is expensive but if it works it might be worth the cost.

FA18 is a FBW jet so force feedback isn't required. For WW2 or any non-FBW aircraft though, it would be epic. I hope the Brunner can get implemented into DCS, I'm frothing at the thought of flying the Spit with a FFB stick combined with Simshaker