Option to increase throttle sensitivity

Hippo

It seems to me that most (I'm using an X52 at the moment) physical throttles don't have the necessary sensitivity to enable the precise control required for landing, AAR, etc.

Would it be possible to have a binding, so that when activated it would change the (physical) throttle sensitivity to a used-defined value?

So say you're coming in to land, your engines are at around 85 rpm for AoA on speed, you press a button, suddenly the whole range of your (physical) throttle goes from (say) 82 - 88, user-defined. Press the button again, and the throttle's back to normal.

Make sense? Sorry if already requested.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Target allows it. For a saitek device I believe you have to use something like Joystick Gremlin, but if you want an opinion that's a really bad way of flying. The problem with the F-18 isn't "sensitivity" it's spool time. And the way you are describing it, you actually want it less sensitive, not more. You want increased resolution in a limited range also known as axis zoom.

You want increased resolution in a limited range also known as axis zoom.

Yes, exactly that. Sorry for the confusion.

but if you want an opinion that's a really bad way of flying

Why? Surely the throw of a real F-18 throttle is much longer than that of a consumer throttle? The suggestion is far from perfect, but it might help.

I take your point on spool time, but are you saying it's not realistic as modelled? I suspect that it's not as delayed in reality, but I have no idea - maybe it's accurate.

I haven't tried a 3rd party utility, obviously I would prefer to have this in game. I've already amended the axis curve, but this only gets you so far.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I take your point on spool time, but are you saying it's not realistic as modelled? I suspect that it's not as delayed in reality, but I have no idea - maybe it's accurate.

Apparently it’s pretty close...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I don't know, a couple of former F-18 pilots said that the F-18 (and the F-16) aren't as responsive to throttle inputs as the real thing and they feel a little underpowered.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Hey @stuartaston, I don't know if the spool time in the Hornet is realistic or not as I have no RL experience with it. Like the others have said I think RL pilots have said it's a little too much right now. I only meant that getting used to this spool time delay has probably more to do with the dificulties you are experiencing, than the resolition of your controls axis.

As for wheter it's a bad thing or a good thing to use zoom axis. I think it's a bad habit, that will actually throw off your flying, but that is only my opinion in the end of the day you have to do what is best for you.

would have to measure the throw in the real hornet vs your saitek. I think the hornet throttle will actually have less angular range but the whole thing is probably able to read a lot more detail out of the range of motion. More throw (longer lever) will allow for easier control of that range of motion as you very well know, and you can theoretically fly more precise in a certain range of the axis if you make that range correspont to more throw, but AAR refueling is probaby not the only ocasion where you will need to be precise in that range and formation flying will also require it, with the added caviat that it will be a lot more dynamic and you will need more range.

Using two diferent settings seems to me, other than unrealistic but a way to get around PC periferals real or percived limitations, a way to sabotage your muscle memory.

But again in the end you have to find what works for you. I was just adding my opinion.

But to more precisely answeer your question. There is really no way of doing what you want in game. You can as you know adjust your curve to give you improvements in one range at the exense of the rest, but it will be permanent for that aircraft and axis. You could bind another axis with the a personalized curve to handle the throttle in just that situation. In theory this could work reasonably well, but I belive it will give you problems because if the axis not in use oscilates even the slightest the moment it moves that will be the value assumed by DCS which will will then have to counter by moving the axis you are actually wanting to use in the situation you are in (assuming a setting of a full range value axis vs a limited but precise value axis).

As for a third party solution, only something that creates a virtual device will be able to help you. As that is the only way to have a custom and "changeble" axis response. TM TARGET works just in this way. But since you have a saitek Hotas the only alternative I know is vJoy to create you virtual device and use Joystick Gremmlin to program things the way you want. There may be others but I only know of that one, at least vJoy for the virtual device.

All your points are valid, and I agree with them. Clearly the option I suggested would be an imperfect compromise. I was practising carrier landings only last night and it feels that I just need to blow on the throttle for the tiny adjustments required (and this is with an adjusted axis curve) - this makes it almost physically impossible to have the precise level of control required.

I do already compensate for spool time, and am certain this is not the cause of my problems.

I simply cannot be bothered to introduce a separate utility to do this. Lazy? Yes, but there comes a time where all the tweaking just gets too much.

Edited by Hippo

I used to have an X52 (non pro)but that was a long time ago, I really can't remember how good or bad the precision on the throttle was. But my main gripe with it (specially after I had it for a while) was with the joystick it self, as if suffered from a lot of "sticktion".

...I was practising carrier landings only last night and it feels that I just need to blow on the throttle for the tiny adjustments required (and this is with an adjusted axis curve) - this makes it almost physically impossible to have the precise level of control required...

This is exactly why I spent the $ for TM Warthog throttle.

This is exactly why I spent the $ for TM Warthog throttle.

Isn't there a forum rule about about not making other users feel inadequate because of their equipment?

The X52 Pro is very good overall, I think, for the money. I have a Cougar with hall sensor and gimbal mods in storage, which I suspect will be better, once I get it back home. However, I still suspect its physical range of motion won't be enough. Clearly you're happy with the Warthog throttles - I'll have to try one out sometime.

You can try power on power off technics. It's mostly how it's done IRL and can be used for formation and AAR. Though personally for AAR and formation I prefer when I can get really established. In that situation with the Warthog (and not trying to shame you on your hardware at all) I do very small movements, I'd say less than 1mm, adding power and taking away as needed. Since I don't belive the x52 and WH have that much diference in total travel (I'm not using curves, but I am using two straight lines set up with TARGET to match my AB detent with the physicak detent)of the throttle, so actually the movement amount you want t be aiming for should be relatively the same. The only diferente is the sensor resolution of each device, but with relatively linear response both should need about the same movement for the same power change, sensor resolution only maters for how small of a movement can be read.

Hello @Hippo, turns out I was wrong. What you want to do can be done inside DCS.

Very simply chose a modifier, either one of the existing ones (RCtrl, Lshift, etc.) or chose a button on your Joystick that you can spare and add it as a switch type modifier. I recommend this as the shift state will work as ON/OFF instead of having to hold a button or key on your keyboard.

Next go to your axis assignment clear the throttle assignment. And assign it again but with the modifier you choose. Tune the Axis: You can reduce the Y saturation, without selecting the axis as a slider, our make a custom curve to your liking.

Next assign the axis again but without the modifier.

Fly and use the modifier to alternate bettwen full range throttle and limited/custom curve range.

Hello @Hippo, turns out I was wrong. What you want to do can be done inside DCS.

Very simply chose a modifier, either one of the existing ones (RCtrl, Lshift, etc.) or chose a button on your Joystick that you can spare and add it as a switch type modifier. I recommend this as the shift state will work as ON/OFF instead of having to hold a button or key on your keyboard.

Next go to your axis assignment clear the throttle assignment. And assign it again but with the modifier you choose. Tune the Axis: You can reduce the Y saturation, without selecting the axis as a slider, our make a custom curve to your liking.

Next assign the axis again but without the modifier.

Fly and use the modifier to alternate bettwen full range throttle and limited/custom curve range.

Well, what can I say!?? THANK YOU. :). I would never have thought to try this.

Early days so far, but I just tried a carrier landing as a quick test, and I think I was onto something... Using a range from around 78 - 90 % RPM, it's the first time I've ever felt I had the level of precise control necessary to follow the ball accurately.

There are definitely issues, and further testing and tweaking are required, but first impressions are very good.

Thanks again.