Still Loving it

TinPony

Still by far my favorite aircraft in DCS world, this bird has it all good and bad. I really get a sense of achievement when you fly this weapon 200nm and land (not always a good one) you really feel like you’ve accomplished something great. I recently made the move to VR ( amazing) to experience the tiny tiny cockpit and your face up against the gun site with barely enough room to breath was an eye opener.

Don’t get me wrong the f18 is a close second but I can’t set auto pilot in the spitfire and go mow my lawn...never gunna happen.

I’m hoping for a WW2 pacific theater in the near future with maybe a chance to fly the seafire:) fingers crossed.

Despite my gripes with the development process for the Spit (and the wider WW2 side of DCS), I agree, it's still a damned fine and fun aircraft to fly.

The DCS base platform just seems to lend itself so nicely to the high-powered prop machines. It "feels" like a machine with mass and momentum.

I too love to trim her out at 18,000ft with low boost and cruise RPM, then just sit there gazing out the canopy.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

+3

I Love them all but the Spitfire is what gets me into the cockpit and gives me the greatest pleasure.

I fly 2-4 missions a day in it and work on missions and campaigns regularly if not daily.

I am still noticing things that have been fixed over the years and everything works quite nicely.

The Mag test works now. The prop test works now. The supercharger test works now.

One can actually do an entire proper pre-trip and procedures and everything works.

This is an amazing aircraft if one takes the time to learn it all.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

+3

I Love them all but the Spitfire is what gets me into the cockpit and gives me the greatest pleasure.

I fly 2-4 missions a day in it and work on missions and campaigns regularly if not daily.

I am still noticing things that have been fixed over the years and everything works quite nicely.

The Mag test works now. The prop test works now. The supercharger test works now.

One can actually do an entire proper pre-trip and procedures and everything works.

This is an amazing aircraft if one takes the time to learn it all.

I wish I could say the same for the P-51. I grew up watching Mustangs on the history channel, and now it's my main go-to plane. But it's frustrating when the only engine test that works is the governor check

+4. The Spitfire is just amazing. Even though I said the Mustang is my go-to, I fly both pretty 50/50, and it's especially satisfying landing the Spitfire in a grass field with a slight crosswind. I can almost feel my mustache grow.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 also!

After the mighty Mi-8, the Spitfire is the module that I fly the most.

The level of reward and achievement that you got after taking it for a ride and coming back without a scratch is just good enough to make it still, after many many landings.... really a joy.

*Funny video, by the way :], Magic_Zach.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like it. Without doubt my favorite module, and am totally with the OP about how good landing feels when perfect. Only problem is the prop artifacts in VR with MS or ASW on. Because without MS recently on the Vive anyway, game is way too stuttery during sharp turns. Really wish they'd fix it.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 3 weeks later...
Despite my gripes with the development process for the Spit (and the wider WW2 side of DCS), I agree, it's still a damned fine and fun aircraft to fly.

The DCS base platform just seems to lend itself so nicely to the high-powered prop machines. It "feels" like a machine with mass and momentum.

I must say I feel exactly the opposite. The sensitivity of the Spit to rudder and pitch seems way overdone and some inputs make it feel like a kite blowing in the wind with no momentum or mass. I dont think the users should set massive curves on their axis just to correct for the devs modeling.

Having said that, I am enjoying everything else in this module and I would still recommend it. Maybe the muzzle flash animations need to be brought up to the standards in the rest of the visuals. It feels like someone forgot about those.

I must say I feel exactly the opposite. The sensitivity of the Spit to rudder and pitch seems way overdone and some inputs make it feel like a kite blowing in the wind with no momentum or mass. I dont think the users should set massive curves on their axis just to correct for the devs modeling.
Yes, you're meant to use curves if you don't own a proper controls setup (long stick at least). It's not overdone, it's done exactly like the actual controls of the real deal are, but it's us at home who don't own the proper controls (well, I do :P ). So curves are there to try to mimic the response of the real thing in the short sticks usually used. No big deal in using them, the setting is there to be used and find a good comfortable setting in whatever the stick you have. What you can't expect is ED making it easier or dumbing down the aircraft just to accommodate the myriad of cheap sticks out there.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

What you can't expect is ED making it easier or dumbing down the aircraft just to accommodate the myriad of cheap sticks out there.

S!

When I had my T-Flight, the Spitfire was a pain to aim. Now, with my T-16000M, it's a breeze.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I had my T-Flight, the Spitfire was a pain to aim. Now, with my T-16000M, it's a breeze.
That's it. When I had my Warthog stock short it was painful (literally, mine is one of those really tough springed ones) and a problem to deal with in DCS (no Spit back then, but I remember helicopters were a real problem, UH particularly). Then I made my extension and everything changed, but in the Spit when it came out I still had to use a bit of a curve (the so tough spring was quite soft under the extension) and only in Spit. Then I bought a tougher spring not long ago and I went straight to try the Spit first to give a try. Curves were no more needed, I stopped overcommanding whatsoever with the tougher spring and the straight input is just perfect.

So yes, controls makes a huge difference. But using curves you can get a comfier controls mimicking the long sticks response we don't have at home and use any module without suffering the lack of those proper controls. Not perfect, but good enough. Want it even better? Buy a proper controls setting.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Yes, you're meant to use curves if you don't own a proper controls setup (long stick at least). It's not overdone, it's done exactly like the actual controls of the real deal are, but it's us at home who don't own the proper controls (well, I do :P ). So curves are there to try to mimic the response of the real thing in the short sticks usually used. No big deal in using them, the setting is there to be used and find a good comfortable setting in whatever the stick you have. What you can't expect is ED making it easier or dumbing down the aircraft just to accommodate the myriad of cheap sticks out there.

S!

Speak for yourself, I have a virpil stick with extension and virpil throttle. No cheap controllers here.:joystick:

Speak for yourself, I have a virpil stick with extension and virpil throttle. No cheap controllers here.:joystick:
Well, it sounds like you've just got to be more gentle Get used to the feel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, but unlike VKB, Virpil doesn't feature a toughness control AFAIK, does it? So as I explained earlier it's still possible you would need to use curves even with an extension. Remember RL Spitfire features not only a relatively tough controls (like most real aeroplanes compared to consumer joysticks) and like a 5-6 ft tall control column for pitch.

S!

Yep, but unlike VKB, Virpil doesn't feature a toughness control AFAIK, does it? So as I explained earlier it's still possible you would need to use curves even with an extension. Remember RL Spitfire features not only a relatively tough controls (like most real aeroplanes compared to consumer joysticks) and like a 5-6 ft tall control column for pitch.

S!

You are getting them backwards, Virpil has separate controls for pitch and roll adjustments. As far as I can tell based on pictures, i dont see any options to adjust the VKB gunfighter base.

Either way it has nothing to do with the controller, all other planes in DCS and IL2 work just fine, it's the way the Spit IX is modelled in DCS that is hypersensitive to inputs. Anything within the margin of error while holding the stick striaght will be very noticeable. I'm not trying to convince you, i'm just sharing my experience.

Yep, but unlike VKB, Virpil doesn't feature a toughness control AFAIK, does it?

If by "thougness" you mean spring force, VirPil allow exchange CAM and springs like VKB, more "heavy' or more "soft". VirPil has a "fine tune" adjust of installed spring force.

What VKB (Gunfighter) has of different and exclusive is the "dry-clutch" system, a kind of brakes that add resistance in grip return to center position, reducing the pendulum effect caused by springs.

Remember RL Spitfire features not only a relatively tough controls (like most real aeroplanes compared to consumer joysticks) and like a 5-6 ft tall control column for pitch.

5-6 ft is 152-183 cm, seems to much for a plane control column.

This NACA document say 33-7/8" ~86 cm from column hinge to center of "spade" grip, or ~93 cm to top of grip if add more half of "spade" diameter (5-5/8"~14,3cm).

Spitfire-stick-forces-2.jpg

Spitfire-stick-forces-4.jpg

nearest 24hr petrol station

BTW - If I "read" this graphs correct they suggest that grip move a bit more on roll for right (~24º), than for left (~19º), is this?

Edited by Sokol1_br

To get the Spitfire, behave ... Decrease Saturation in Y (key-value also for other DCS modules especially for helicopters).

We all have different setups, so different settings are required, however, Spitfire defaults are hyper sensible (aka almost unflyable) at least there is a huge difference with the other 3 WWII birds.

Some test is required until you start feeling the "control" of this beauty :].

5-6 ft is 152-183 cm, seems to much for a plane control column.

This NACA document say 33-7/8" ~86 cm from column hinge to center of "spade" grip, or ~93 cm to top of grip if add more half of "spade" diameter (5-5/8"~14,3cm).

Yep, I meant almost 1m which is not 5-6ft, I'm not an imperial measures user usually :lol: :thumbup: . So 86cm, compared to our sticks :music_whistling: .

IIRC, the VKB controls feature not a spring change possibility but a toughness setting, allowing from very soft to a stick which will stay in position were you leave it (perfect for helicopters). I haven't used it though but in my mind that was useful for warbirds either.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

Either way it has nothing to do with the controller, all other planes in DCS and IL2 work just fine, it's the way the Spit IX is modelled in DCS that is hypersensitive to inputs. Anything within the margin of error while holding the stick striaght will be very noticeable. I'm not trying to convince you, i'm just sharing my experience.
Well, it has if we have the real deal response in the module and you don't own an 86cm long in pitch stick. It's a matter of overcommand, just that. With tougher and or longer controls settings you get it right. But you can mimic that just using some curves, nobody will blame you for using a curve.

S!

We all have different setups, so different settings are required, however, Spitfire defaults are hyper sensible (aka almost unflyable) at least there is a huge difference with the other 3 WWII birds.
The funny thing is I have flown a Tiger Moth IRL and it was like that in pitch, but even worst because controls were so light a millimetre back or forth was a matter of looking around without paying attention or sneezing and the Moth responds that milimmetre. People can't blame ED there for the "almost unflyable pitch control" :lol:. You get used to it and fly what you have, that's why it's a trainer for later more powerful models. Spit is like that, but IRL it features tougher controls as a mate here said after he flew the real Spit.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

• 7 months later...
Yep, I meant almost 1m which is not 5-6ft, I'm not an imperial measures user usually :lol: :thumbup: . So 86cm, compared to our sticks :music_whistling: .

IIRC, the VKB controls feature not a spring change possibility but a toughness setting, allowing from very soft to a stick which will stay in position were you leave it (perfect for helicopters). I haven't used it though but in my mind that was useful for warbirds either.

S!

VKB has ofcourse different springs to change, they even ship 5 different springs with the base and stick. Trust me, I got one.

Since my last post I've gotten VR (last week actually). The Spitfire and 51 are even more enjoyable.

Still getting used to landing though. Judging the distance is difficult. Just when I thought I had another 5 whole feet to go, I bounce off the ground lol

These aircraft stand really tall in wheel landings

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The funny thing is I have flown a Tiger Moth IRL and it was like that in pitch, but even worst because controls were so light a millimetre back or forth was a matter of looking around without paying attention or sneezing and the Moth responds that milimmetre. People can't blame ED there for the "almost unflyable pitch control" :lol:. You get used to it and fly what you have, that's why it's a trainer for later more powerful models. Spit is like that, but IRL it features tougher controls as a mate here said after he flew the real Spit.

S!

got me around 7 hours total time in the moth, cant say the stick was hyper sensative, just responsive, considering the aircraft is a flying brick, landing it is always an experiance though!

wheeling it on and pushing forwards slightly on the stick to stop the tail from dropping too early getting the fine balance to not dig the prop into the ground or the flare and the fast deceleration that comes when you pitch in to the 3 point or rather stall it down.

one thing i can say about the moth though is they're great for spins!

• 11 months later...

As for the Spitfires sensivity, I have it on a VKB base with a 10 cm extension. 20 cm extension works even better but I removed it, the small extension has more heft with the heavy #50 VKB springs. Feels just real. ATM I run a curve of 1 on Roll and Pitch. Not happy with my gunning so I may go up to a max curve of 5. Will see.

Rudders are the tricky part, even the MFG Crosswinds are super twitchy in the Spit without curves. Problem with curves is: A twichy Airplane remains twitchy even with curves. Ones we get to the point where the curve starts to go up a twitchy Airplane kicks even more.

Lowering Y saturation helps here but I avoid that at all costs, DCS designed the modules and it's pitch, roll and rudder authority / throw for a reason.

People who use large curvertures like 15 and above or even run different curves on pitch and roll just fly a different Spitfire then.

The Spitfire is pure joy, like carving through deep snow, she just floats with next to zero input.