TACAN for KC-130

dannyq8

Nicely done!

Can TACAN be set in Mission Editor with this?

... and can you post non-OVGME install instructions?

Yes.

Install KC130.lua into DCS World (version you are running)\CoreMods\aircraft\AV8BNA

Overwrite existing file.

Every time you update DCS you will need to repeat this process

KC130.lua

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

seems simple enough - i wonder why its not already implemented in the core av8? would this work for the tarawa as well?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

would this work for the tarawa as well?

No, unfortunately not. Ships don't seem to have the "TACAN" attribute.

...and you can neither put a beacon (send radio message loop on a frequency) on the "unit" in ME, nor does a message on a moving zone work. :(

With moving zone you can hear the beacon on ADF in the Huey, but the needles can't locate it.

@RAZBAM - this is a very important part of approaching a carrier, you need DME for distance and everything from holding, Delta and Charlie pattern, to the Final Approach Fix.

For helicopters the option to put a "send radio transmission" trigger on the Tarawa-Unit or a NDB/VOR or FM homing beacon would be fantastic.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If you are talking about the TACAN comms, yes, you have to "activate TACAN" in ME

If you are talking about "voice" Comms to tanker, this mod doesn't change that.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

Would a similar mod to the Tarawa's LUA allow for it to have a TACAN?
See my post above.

TLDR No, it wouldn't.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No, unfortunately not. Ships don't seem to have the "TACAN" attribute.

...and you can neither put a beacon (send radio message loop on a frequency) on the "unit" in ME, nor does a message on a moving zone work. :(

With moving zone you can hear the beacon on ADF in the Huey, but the needles can't locate it.

@RAZBAM - this is a very important part of approaching a carrier, you need DME for distance and everything from holding, Delta and Charlie pattern, to the Final Approach Fix.

For helicopters the option to put a "send radio transmission" trigger on the Tarawa-Unit or a NDB/VOR or FM homing beacon would be fantastic.

Totally agree with the carrier requiring TACAN! It spoils the shipbourn aspect of the sim. If VRS can do TACAN and ils on their Nimitz and Ike in TacPack, we should have the same here. Speaking of fleet carriers....

It's going to be essential for the F/A 18 when the Hormuz map gets done. Or are we expected to use F10 all the time?:huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I don't know why you assume that because the Tarawa - a work in progress - doesn't currently have TACAN, that everything in the future will be the same.

I can be pretty confident that the to do list at RAZBAM will include the TACAN aspect of the Tarawa, and you'll see it sooner rather than later.

What you have is a pre-purchase example of the Harrier and all that comes with it. Just be patient, and you'll get the incomplete features as and when they reach the top of the list and are coded.

Totally agree with the carrier requiring TACAN! It spoils the shipbourn aspect of the sim. If VRS can do TACAN and ils on their Nimitz and Ike in TacPack, we should have the same here. Speaking of fleet carriers....

It's going to be essential for the F/A 18 when the Hormuz map gets done. Or are we expected to use F10 all the time?:huh:

Yes, but I was focusing the helicopters and the need for either Precision Radar Approach or a normal ADF/NDB Beacon as especially the current DCS helos do not have TACAN.

If I remember correctly, TACAN is already planned for the Tarawa and I'm sure it doesn't take long.

Likely ED needs to add the TACAN attribute to ship objects, but they are currently and understandably very busy with DCS 2.5 and the Hornet Early Access preparations.

So take a deep breath... "Patience, young Padawan" (Qui-Gon Jin)

Shagrat

I dare say that once the advanced features have been released with the carrier following the Hornet we will see a complete suite of nav aids on ships become more widely accessible by third parties too.

Time will tell.

Yep, it would make sense to do this as a generic feature in the core sim, so Mission Designers can add TACAN and nav-aids to any object. There was a discussion of a mobile TACAN system, so ED will likely get it done.

Nav-aid-beacons are basically available for vehicles as "radio-transmissions", so if they would add this to ships it should be OK.

Shagrat