Two quick random Qs: right engine/tgp vs EO standby

mooshim

HI...

Bizarre phenomenon.

1) I thought I had the startup down. Studied and practiced it, trained on it, etc.

Suddenly, I can't get my right eng idle to go up past 25% upon clicking it to idle.

I wait until L eng is fully running to 100%... I wonder what would cause this.

I'm able to replicate this often--in fact, now I can't get the aircraft up any more. :mad:

2) Curious about two things re: the Mav.

a. I'm trying to get my head around why a profile for Mavs would be defaulted to CCIP (which I always click to CCRP, then save).

--would this refer to the mav seeker being in a mode that is not stabilized but "points" to a varying point on the ground and is "constantly computed" which then is assigned a target or caged to a CCRP point or SPI by the pilot? --(I'm just trying to "import" my thinking from terminology I'm more used to refer to bomb release). I wanted to confirm this with you gents to deepen my understanding.

b. By the way... Why would the EO not have a standby function? --where the TGP does?

Many thanks.

Moosh.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

1) I thought I had the startup down. Studied and practiced it, trained on it, etc.

Suddenly, I can't get my right eng idle to go up past 25% upon clicking it to idle.

I wait until L eng is fully running to 100%... I wonder what would cause this.

Sounds like you are not activating the fuel boost pumps.

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I was having the same issue, and the fuel boost pumps were the issue.

The checklists in the manual are confusing...you cant use the 'engine startup' checklist just by itself, as the 'pre-flight' switch check before that has stuff in it that affect how the aircraft starts up...these being the prime case. (Edit: meaning you turn the fuel boost pumps on prior to any of the stuff in the startup checklist)

The training mission on engine startup is great, and I made myself my own checklist based on that (since we're in a sim, I don't need to check the position of every switch before I start the plane...I'd imagine the planes have a standard set of initial conditions when they 'spawn')

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The voice of the F-14 "Ambush" Trailer and F-14 Tomcat Instructor Pilot

My Rig: Intel i5-7600k | MSI Z-270A PRO | 16GB DDR4 2400 | MSI nVidia GTX 1660 Ti | Saitek X52 Pro | TIR 4 w Pro Clip

Sometimes if you are too quick, engine number 2 won't ignite. It will just be motored around by the APU. So wait until engine cycle light stops blinking. Then it's safe to start second engine. Or, you can hit the igniter switch. But the proper way is to wait until the light stops flashing.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Regarding 2a and 2b.

a. The Maverick mechanization isn't perfectly described by CCIP or CCRP. CCIP is more associated with visual designation as CCRP is with non-visual designation so Maverick falls on the CCIP side of the fence. Similarly targeting the Maverick is wholly concerned with the impact point and wholly unconcerned with the release point, so it's again much more CCIP-like in that way.

b. I'm sure the designers of the weapon would have loved a full-ready standby feature. I believe that the AGM-65 is limited in fire-ready endurance by battery and/or IR sensor coolant life when aligned and sensor ready. The TGP is powered through the aircraft and is newer using an electrical method for FLIR sensor cooling. Also the standby mode has the benefit of protecting the optic surfaces by the tuck thingy it does. The AGM-65 does have a dust cover between the glass sensor window and the sensor but the window is always vulnerable.