Virpil Throttle Wearing Out Already *please read*

backstab

Thats exactly whats happening. Thats where it starts. Around the detent

The resistance I feel near the detents is nothing like "scratchy metal on metal" effect you have described. I can barely feel it, was there from day one and the feel didn't change over almost 100 hours. I'd notice if it would.

I hope that support resolves it for you, looks like you have got a bad apple.

How can you say so confidently that he's "got a bad apple" when just earlier you told us you can't be bothered to open yours and look at it?

Backstab - if I get a chance this week I'll pop mine open and check it. Still pretty new, maybe 15 hours on it.

How can you say so confidently that he's "got a bad apple" when just earlier you told us you can't be bothered to open yours and look at it?

Backstab - if I get a chance this week I'll pop mine open and check it. Still pretty new, maybe 15 hours on it.

Schrodinger's box.

Because he's used it for 100 hours and not had the problem. And we still only have one person who has had it. The rest of the thread is just speculation.

I must have used mine for more than a 100 hours and can't say, if anything it's smoother.

But I also don't use any of the detents at all so I don't think I would either.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I’ve had mine since Oct. Smooth as silk, and it gets a LOT of use.

Can’t say I’ve opened it up though.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I don't need to check if something works if it works and mine does.

I suspect that the beginning of this type of degradation might be that the ball isn't rolling. If it isn't rolling then its cutting into and grooving the plate. If the ball rolls fine then things will likely continue along nicely.

Yeah, that's plausible explanation. Again, I hope that support sorts it out for you.

I don't need to check if something works if it works and mine does.

No, what you're implying when you say "bad apple" is that backstab got the only bad one in the bunch, and everyone else has a perfect throttle. You made that conclusion based on your throttle being fine, with barely a clue of what's going on inside and how it may or may not differ from backstab's or anyone else's.

I don't doubt you're a smart guy, but you're making some hardly scientific claims as if they're straight facts. You could stand to be a little more skeptical.

Still no response from support regarding this issue.

When did you submit the ticket?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

I believe they aim to respond within 3 working days, ie excluding weekends

I'd suggest that you go chase them on the ticket. Doing it here is not likely to result in them paying much attention.

It should get noticed here for being prominent bad publicity, quality- and service-wise.

Yepp. Already stopped me from ordering one. ;)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I was told by Virpil that the grooves worn into the plate in question are predicted and planned. These grooves should be smooth at all times and they should not affect the detent. If they are not smooth or affect the detent then it is a warranty issue.

In my case the detent was fine but the grooves were not smooth. There was friction, sound, resistance and it was breaking down inside as I discovered. The Virpil support confirmed I flipped the plate to expose a clean fresh side (my idea to solve the problem). They offered to ship another plate and I accepted.

I suspect that once the grooves become deeper than the exposed diameter of the bearing that rolls in it, the sides of the unit that holds that bearing will rub. In the same way as getting stuck in your car when the tire is buried in the mud and the body of the car now prevents movement.

I am putting my faith in the lubrication I added. If I had another plate Ill feel good.

Virpil please include another plate for everyone. This gives them 4 fresh starts. Please make sure there is plenty of lube on the plate and the ball bearing.

Waiting for my plate now.

Was there lubrication there? Doesn't look like it but cant see for sure. Was yours giving you issues like mine?

See your grooves are not even. This means that there either was or will be a slightly different feel to the throttle travel during its full stroke. And there might be differences between the throttles as well.

I suspect that once the grooves become deeper than the exposed diameter of the bearing that rolls in it, the sides of the unit that holds that bearing will rub. In the same way as getting stuck in your car when the tire is buried in the mud and the body of the car now prevents movement.

As the balls dig those groves, the pivot shaft of the throttle handles does not come closer to the indent plate. That distance does not change.

Unless there is some other part than the ball which is pressed against the plate.

Can you post a picture with the ball bearings visible and in focus?

Edited by Seb71