Can't get off the ground

LtMacGowan

I know this is an obvious question and let me cut off any "do the training missions" for some reason the Huey training mission freezes half way through for me.

anyway when i do instant mission free flight, with the huey already started up on the runway. i can not get it to fly. i apply full power to the collective, nothing, i even manually did it with page up to be sure, i turned that governor to emergency and nothing, it just won't climb but the rotors are spinning.

what obvious simple thing am i missing?

Did you take the parking brake off?

No seriously it should like do it, have a look in the controls settings and check that there isn't more than one control assigned to the collective axis control.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

You are using the wrong keys in the instant mission.

Page Up/Page Down is the THROTTLE - set that to max and let the governor maintain the rev's.

The COLLECTIVE axis is usually bound to your joystick throttle, this changes the pitch of main rotor blades and increases lift. The keyboard default for COLLECTIVE Up/Down is Num + / Num -

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

i've done this from the free flight and the training missions, i've even used the cheat lwin home to auto start, and the rctrl enter shows the throttle is full, i set the collective to max power, i even switched off the governor and got rpm limit warnings and i can't freaking get off the ground.

• ED Team

You have to be very careful at the moment with a heavy loadout, ease her into the sky, I even use the bounce from the skids. As you burn more fuel it becomes easier.

The combination of the EGT issue complicates things, and certainly makes it more challenging.

If you still have problems save a short track replay and attach it here, I will be happy to take a look at it

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

also i've flown the mi-8 and i can get that off the ground. the huey just sits there.

Please post a track.

Even when there's no option at the end of a mission/instant action mission, you'll find a track of your last mission at :-

"USER NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\LastMissionTrack.trk"

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You are too heavy?

when you are heavy you need to get past transitional lift whilst on the ground, you need to skid those skids along the runway until you pass 40 - 50 knots then gently pull back on the stick but maintain.... if not allowing an increase in forward velocity whilst you climb.

Skids are sexy, but wheels are just worth their weight in gold!

Every one wants the awesome kit the Huey can carry, but in real life there is a trade off. Skill will get that kit off the ground and as a pilot you will be very happy when you use up all that ammo.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• ED Team

Thanks for the track

you need to check your controls.

it looks like you have the throttle working but not the collective

Screen_180420_123828.thumb.jpg.268a39db859829b6681f9445267b524f.jpg

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

alright at the risk of sounding like a complete n00b, which when it comes helos i guess i am. the mi-8 its default settings have the joy slider assigned to the collective, and the throttle i believe set to default 100%, are you saying the default huey controls have my joy slider to throttle but not assigned to collective? if i reverse that can i leave the throttle set at 100% as with the mi-8 or do i have to control that as well?

Yes!

Throttle is governed not like a jet.

Collective changes AoA hence lift.

:)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.