So, tell me please....

Having read many pilot comments on the 109 myself, I find that the aircraft functions like I would expect for the most part, sure, there are moments you have something happen in the sim that probably wouldnt happen in real life, but most of the time I am doing something in the sim I wouldnt be doing in real life to cause that.

Honestly, and Yo-Yo can correct me, but I think the FM is pretty close to final as it is.

I'm very happy with what we have. And, regarding the use at higher G loads, now with the modified control forces and the blackouts, we are forced to stay closer to the real operation margins...

One thing I like particularly is the energy bleed when using way too much climbing maneuvers, as well as the effects of a hotter engine.... This imposes realistic limits in the simulation, and, IMO, helps to bring the virtual combats closer to what real life dogfights and other types were.

The rudder and elevator stiffness with "q" is now, I would say - JUST PERFECT!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be missing all this "proof" in this thread, just more white noise (not even a track supplied of this supposed incorrect behaviour). Pilot quotes are great, even used by Yo-Yo as has been seen, but us comparing our experience to a real WWII fighter pilot is pretty tough, the simulation tries its best but in the end, I think the input/feedback you get from true flight is what some people cant wrap their heads around and where many of the differences come from. Not to mention our control systems...

Having read many pilot comments on the 109 myself, I find that the aircraft functions like I would expect for the most part, sure, there are moments you have something happen in the sim that probably wouldnt happen in real life, but most of the time I am doing something in the sim I wouldnt be doing in real life to cause that.

Honestly, and Yo-Yo can correct me, but I think the FM is pretty close to final as it is.

What the some players want out of him is literally impossible. Not only is he charged with being a forensic investigator, resurrecting FM's, and behaviors out of sketchy information from the beginnings of our technical understanding, but he is doing it with so much less computing power than many single aircraft simulators have available.

In spite of the obstacles, he is doing very well and delivering a plausible product. The cockpit immersion is fantastic, the stability and control modeling much better than anything in the past, and the aircraft perform well. Yo-Yo's work provides the suspension of belief required to attract many RL pilots.

For what we pay on a home computer....that is a bargain.

Here one of the sims at work to give the players an idea.

xf3v4o.jpg

2gucvog.jpg

Here is the computer room. It houses three mainframes that provide the computing power for the one aircraft simulator. The amount of computing power dedicated to just one aircraft and it is STILL NOT RIGHT is staggering.

:smilewink:

1zdpxub.jpg

flj97k.jpg

For example, If you make a greaser or even try to do it in the sim, the training department will not be happy. The simulator lands nothing like the actual aircraft and they do not want you building bad muscle memory that could potentially damage the actual aircraft.

You just plant the sim, do not red screen it and everyone is happy. :P

All that computer power still cannot replicate many of the flight behaviors of the actual aircraft. :huh:

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

What the some players want out of him is literally impossible. Not only is he charged with being a forensic investigator, resurrecting FM's, and behaviors out of sketchy information from the beginnings of our technical understanding, but he is doing it with so much less computing power than many single aircraft simulators have available.

In spite of the obstacles, he is doing very well and delivering a plausible product. The cockpit immersion is fantastic, the stability and control modeling much better than anything in the past, and the aircraft perform well. Yo-Yo's work provides the suspension of belief required to attract many RL pilots.

For what we pay on a home computer....that is a bargain.

Thanks for those words.

Agree completely, even being a simple home sim player. ;)

DCS gives the right feeling of being in an aircraft drifting through the air, better than other PC simulators I tried.

If I had the economy for it, a real aircraft would be the next endeavour, but maybe some day in the future. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Pretty irritating to be accused of only supplying white noise when you try your best to describe a percieved FM issue. How about we stop the forum PvP and instead focus on the problem?

Anyway where can I find my tracks? I will provide one to show the behavior.

In the meantime here's Skip Holm (probably the most experienced pilot in the US) describing the 109's flight characteristics:

"Pitch control is also delightful and very positive at 250 mph and below. As pitch and accompanying G is increased, the leading edge slats start to deploy. I have not found either aircraft to have any problems with asymmetrical slat deployment, as we see in other aircraft such as an A-4 for instance. The aircraft reacts very well to heavy maneuvering, and there is never any discomfort in pulling Gs, as wing separation and accompanying wing drop is mild, is easily noticed and dealt with by lightening up on the G. Pitch force tends to get heavy at speeds above 300 mph, but is still easily managed with a little 2-hand pull or left hand re-trimming."

Edited by Hummingbird

After you fly and experience the behaviors, there will be an option to save the track. Then just look at the properties of the file in your video tab to find the folder.

I gotta hunt for it every time I do it!

Nobody is saying you are not experiencing an issue. Just understand that others are not experiencing the same thing.

:thumbup:

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

Pretty irritating to be accused of only supplying white noise when you try your best to describe a percieved FM issue. How about we stop the forum PvP and instead focus on the problem?
No offence at all mate :smilewink:. Just we would like to see it to help you and confirm the behaviour you mean.

BTW nice sim Crumpp, I'll look for something like that at home :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

No need to get emotional. All we requested is a track since we can't replicate what you are saying. It is in everyones best interest to find the problem, if there is one. Pilot quotes won't solve a thing. Showing what exactly you perceive as wrong is best done via a track recording, or if you have time, a video.

In the meantime here's Skip Holm (probably the most experienced pilot in the US) describing the 109's flight characteristics:

Besides, last I checked, Yo-Yo / ED is in contact with Klaus Plasa, a pilot who flies G-4 Red 7. Therefore, modern pilot input is also taken into equation.

Edited by T}{OR
spelling

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

The effect / behavior described by Hummingbird is real and happened to me last night when trying the K4 in 1.5.

The K4 entered an interminable succession of wings rocking as it came down to the ground, and I simply couldn't recover.

I was stupid not to record the track for replay. What came to my mind in te very first place was that it might have been caused by alternate / successive / asymmetric slat deplyoment.

I will certainly try to reproduce it and post here the results.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team

You have been told that Yo-Yo communicates with a vet pilot as well as one currently flying 109's, so why are those any less than quotes you post? Thats the issue here, you guys show no faith/respect in Yo-Yo and ED, which boggles my mind, they do this for a living, and they are the first to admit when they find an error in their own work...

At the end of the day, this is ED's FM built upon the facts and data they have collected, chances are, without adding something new, you aren't going to change that, no matter how many times you or Otto or someone else repeat the same information.

Submit a track, and we can see what you are seeing, and if its something, I am sure Yo-Yo would be interested in seeing it. But all else is just what I said, white noise at this point.

"Pitch control is also delightful and very positive at 250 mph and below. As pitch and accompanying G is increased, the leading edge slats start to deploy. I have not found either aircraft to have any problems with asymmetrical slat deployment, as we see in other aircraft such as an A-4 for instance. The aircraft reacts very well to heavy maneuvering, and there is never any discomfort in pulling Gs, as wing separation and accompanying wing drop is mild, is easily noticed and dealt with by lightening up on the G. Pitch force tends to get heavy at speeds above 300 mph, but is still easily managed with a little 2-hand pull or left hand re-trimming."

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

First of all let me say that I admire and respect Yo-Yo's work, even if I don't agree with all of his assessments and interpretations as well as finding him abit stubborn at times :P Hence that's also why I say I have faith that he will get it right eventually. He already did a stellar job, there's no denying that.

Btw I've talked to Red 7's chief mechanic this summer at the Roskilde Airshow, and despite a small language barrier from what I could gather he told me that Plaza doesn't really take the aircraft to the limits in the same way as Skip Holm. Part of the reason is the lack of parts for the aircraft if anything is damaged, as well as a VERY strict budget (esp. after the crash a couple years back) and as a result displays are run at very low power, and the aircraft is never pushed close to the stall.

Anyway I'll try to make a track for you guys so you can see the behavior I'm talking about. It's basically an odd rocking of the wings followed by a series of mini departures at constant speed & stick deflection (i.e. not speed change related), running full power at 1.8 ata.

Edited by Hummingbird

Like the others have said, Hummingbird....we all just want to get to the bottom of it and get it fixed!

We are all in this together. :thumbup:

BTW nice sim Crumpp, I'll look for something like that at home

Those sims cost almost as much as the actual airplane, require an army of mechanics, and cost almost as much per hour to operate!

The only advantage is you can fail all the systems...then reset!

We call them the "shake and bake boxes".

• ED Team
Thing is I have provided useful material, incl. NACA documents and modern day flight characteristic descriptions :)

I am not talking about the wing drop, which will happen during the stall, but which incidentally is also very mild on the real 109. What I am talking about is the exceedingly nervous behavior of the aircraft, esp. in roll, closing on the CLmax. The ingame aircraft rolls side to side in a flickering/shaking manner when flying close to the CLmax, a characteristic unheard of in the real aircraft.

It's as if the slats are banging in and out on the aircraft ingame, causing the aircraft to gain & lose lift on each wing multiple times a second.

It's hard to describe it anymore clearly as its frankly nothing like I've experienced in an aircraft before.

Anyway I have faith in the ED team and that they will get it right in the end, it's just that I think atm they are relying partially on some incorrect information in relation to real life operational conditions.

If you knew Russian I would recommend you to read the NII VVS report on stability and controllability of Bf-109G. Wing rocking or lateral stability loss was described as a distinctive behaviour.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

If you knew Russian I would recommend you to read the NII VVS report on stability and controllability of Bf-109G. Wing rocking or lateral stability loss was described as a distinctive behaviour.

I don't doubt it, esp. considering the shape of that particular aircraft. The slats might very well have been malfunctioning, either due to wear, damage or improper maintenance.

I think we need to be careful not to rely on the findings from one place only, and we need to take into consideration all of them, esp. as this rocking of the wings is not described in western sources.

Like the others have said, Hummingbird....we all just want to get to the bottom of it and get it fixed!

We are all in this together. :thumbup:

Roger, I'll be taking the bird for a flight tommorrow and record a track :)

This evening I've been busy enjoying the F-86F, which is truly great I must say.

You mix things again.

To maintain 1g flight with the increasing airspeed the stable plane requires stick forward movement.

Hmmmm, I did not contradict that statement. Without more detail about how you believe my observations are incorrect it is difficult for me to proceed.

At least it is agreed that the 109 has some stability issues in DCS, and they could be correct for all I know. In the past it seemed like any observed instability was supposedly user error.

This 109K-4 has some tricky characteristics that might go unnoticed at first glance.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The lateral instability was present in the Bf-109E too.

2myzrr7.jpg

Otto,

The graphs for longitudinal stability were stick fixed at the zero trim setting. You can see, trimmed flight at low speeds requires down elevator.

Guess what will happen to the nose if you release the stick at zero trim?

• ED Team
I don't doubt it, esp. considering the shape of that particular aircraft. The slats might very well have been malfunctioning, either due to wear, damage or improper maintenance.

I think we need to be careful not to rely on the findings from one place only, and we need to take into consideration all of them, esp. as this rocking of the wings is not described in western sources.

He gave one example, I am not sure that means he only has one source.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Its funny, after having this discussion about behaviour near stall, and me having tested it as well as I could: After the discussion I was inspired to look at my controllers.

Two things I found was:

1. My pedals do spike a bit, but it seems to be mostly filtered out by DCS.

2. More important: I suddenly found that my joystick was not centered.

It was not by much, but it meant that I was constantly pulling and pushing to an axis to the right of the center.

I calibrated the stick and took another test flight: Now it was much easier to maintain a tight turn close to the stall, even at full power.

For me it just goes to show how little it takes to get a vastly different picture of the aircraft's behaviour in the sim.

Our controllers are a big part of it.

Edited by Sporg
  • Like 1

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Btw I've talked to Red 7's chief mechanic this summer at the Roskilde Airshow, and despite a small language barrier from what I could gather he told me that Plaza doesn't really take the aircraft to the limits in the same way as Skip Holm. Part of the reason is the lack of parts for the aircraft if anything is damaged, as well as a VERY strict budget (esp. after the crash a couple years back) and as a result displays are run at very low power, and the aircraft is never pushed close to the stall.

Since you spoke with the mechanic. Was he (or other pilots) taking it to the limits before the crash? Crash video shows a very tight turn before belly landing into the field:

Anyway I'll try to make a track for you guys so you can see the behavior I'm talking about. It's basically an odd rocking of the wings followed by a series of mini departures at constant speed & stick deflection (i.e. not speed change related), running full power at 1.8 ata.

You mention constant speed and stick deflection. The way stick stiffening is simulated in this sim, the following will happen: hold the joystick at a fixed / constant deflection and in game stick forces will prevent you from pulling it all the way back. Essentially the virtual stick will stop at one location until the speed bleeds. Then, as a result of lower stick forces, the virtual stick will continue to move further back to match your joystick position - forcing you to exceed critical AOA and enter a stall.

But, since you say constant speed, the above shouldn't happen. Do enable control indicator with CTRL + ENTER when recording please.

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Its funny, after having this discussion about behaviour near stall, and me having tested it as well as I could: After the discussion I was inspired to look at my controllers.

Two things I found was:

1. My pedals do spike a bit, but it seems to be mostly filtered out by DCS.

2. More important: I suddenly found that my joystick was not centered.

It was not by much, but it meant that I was constantly pulling and pushing to an axis to the right of the center.

I calibrated the stick and took another test flight: Now it was much easier to maintain a tight turn close to the stall, even at full power.

For me it just goes to show how little it takes to get a vastly different picture of the aircraft's behaviour in the sim.

Our controllers are a big part of it.

Nice find BTW, and thanks for sharing :thumbup:. May be it does help people out there who still don't think their controls matters.

You mention constant speed and stick deflection. The way stick stiffening is simulated in this sim, the following will happen: hold the joystick at a fixed / constant deflection and in game stick forces will prevent you from pulling it all the way back. Essentially the virtual stick will stop at one location until the speed bleeds. Then, as a result of lower stick forces, the virtual stick will continue to move further back to match your joystick position - forcing you to exceed critical AOA and enter a stall.

But, since you say constant speed, the above shouldn't happen. Do enable control indicator with CTRL + ENTER when recording please.

Told him previously, and as he says now "holding stick" I think something related to control stiffening may be happening. Lets see the track/video.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Nice find BTW, and thanks for sharing :thumbup:. May be it does help people out there who still don't think their controls matters.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

One thing I am thinking also is that even if the pedals seems filtered, I have no way of knowing if it interferes with my flying as well: Small fluctuations in rudder position could also contribute to the slight instability I still feel.

I do know already that when I went from my old x52 setup to the Warthog my flying transformed due to the increased precision.

Probably I would get some of the same if I could change to a better quality pedals.

System specs:

It realy might be due to stifness, or it could be that the mild stalling characteristic may refer to the power-off stall and not the accelerated stall?:book::huh:

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

The lateral instability was present in the Bf-109E too.

2myzrr7.jpg

Otto,

The graphs for longitudinal stability were stick fixed at the zero trim setting. You can see, trimmed flight at low speeds requires down elevator.

Guess what will happen to the nose if you release the stick at zero trim?

The Emil had issues with its slats, but the design was changed with the succeeding models to which the K model belongs.

After that no snatching is mentioned, and I can't find anything on lateral instability either.

Also it needs to mentioned that the above was straight and level stalls to determine the stall speed. But again the Emil had known issues with the slats, amongst these that one of the slats would sometimes jam, resulting in the aircraft going into a spin. This was esp. bad in N. Africa due to fine sand fouling up the mechanism.

Edited by Hummingbird