First flights......

Mt5_Roie

I did the training to cold start, then took off: wow this is a handfull and nimble!

I flew around town and skimmed a few tree tops and then landed: wow a handful again but no damage in my first flight. Screw parallel parking this thing!

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowboy, if you display the position of the controls (took me a while to find again what shortcut that is: Rctrl-Enter), then you will see how the force trim work more easily. You put your cyclic in the position you want, then press the force-trim button and it offsets everything so that this position is now with your stick in neutral :joystick:

Thanks mate, I think i found the main problem, I was pressing the weapons release button instead of trimmer. Thankgod I wasnt carring any weapons. :doh:

But yes, Ive now put the controls display up for ref while training. I can more or less hold a hover for 5 secs. :)

Cant land her for toffee though, end up slowing down way way to high, shes starts occalating, and thats it i lose control, or i get close to ground and stick her into too slow with a too high rate of descent, and she goes into a stall. On the plus side, Im getting to see the damage model very very well. ;)

Practice Practice Practice.

After watching Furias vids, I am now in amazment at how much control he had over her. Now that is control.

I cant get over how small a movement you have to make, any normal movements on the stick and shes off. Most of my flying im wobbling about like a drunken wilderbeast.

BUT i will tame her, oh yes, I WILL tame her :thumbup:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I cant get over how small a movement you have to make, any normal movements on the stick and shes off. Most of my flying im wobbling about like a drunken wilderbeast.

If you didn't catch this through our Youtube channel, here's a great vid where you can see how the pilot is making constant inputs with the cyclic, mostly within about an inch in either direction unless performing a strong pitch/roll maneuver. Consider the difference in the length of his cyclic and your joystick and how that affects the required inputs.

-Rxpe3LF5QI

Another clip with some good views of the controls:

Again, this doesn't mean there are no further adjustments required to the model, which may include increased damping, but I think it's useful to understand the effects of the hardware we use, not to mention lack of physical feedback, peripheral vision, etc.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

:thumbup:

My Huey is beeeooootiiifffulllllll, thanks so much Belsmitek +ED

while looking for all the switches to get the ship started I thought to my self whats that sound.

Light rain hitting the airframe, fealt so warm and cozy inside. Excellent.

:thumbup:

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

No everyone can afford to get real aircraft parts to play this game that would defo kill off a big part of customers.

I think it fly's great enjoyed my first flight did not crash so was surprised takes abit of getting used to hard to look around without trackir as you always have to be inputting flight stick good tho!

Well done Belsimtek!

Now improve it! Don't think that's it as its just the start for tweaking! :thumbup:

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

(...)

Cant land her for toffee though, end up slowing down way way to high, shes starts occalating, and thats it i lose control, or i get close to ground and stick her into too slow with a too high rate of descent, and she goes into a stall. On the plus side, Im getting to see the damage model very very well. ;)

(...)

Made the same mistakes initially but I found the trick is to have a bit of forward speed until you get into Ground Effect where you have more room to maneuver on the air cushion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First flight is out of the way - wasn't pretty but I didn't damage anything :D

Going to remove the big spring in the HOTAS warthog, should make it a bit easier for me.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

A softer joystick surely is a great advantage when flying the UH1.

But most of the corrections is a matter of experience, I think. If you pull here, you gotta push there. First flights were horrible, but it's definitely improving and the Huey is tons of fun.

Thanks for this great module! :notworthy:

PS: Can we have the kneeboard for all modules, please :)

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Made the same mistakes initially but I found the trick is to have a bit of forward speed until you get into Ground Effect where you have more room to maneuver on the air cushion.

Yeah I am falling out of the sky like an anvil.

The moment I transition from forward movement to what I call a hover :music_whistling: when I get low enough it just drops like a stone.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I have my curves set on 12. Watch the video on pick up. Once u know where the stick needs to be to get airborne vertically it makes the initial phase much easier. Once airborne use tiny tiny movements to preempt and negate movement. To be honest I think rudder pedals are a must. I'm using my G27 racing pedals and they helped vastly from trying to use a twist rudder.

I don't have it mastered but can maintain a sustained hover this way for upwards of a minute. Then I get bored and end up crashing lol. The video was surprisingly helpful.

Very light control inputs and try to anticipate control/power inputs (not easy).

Overcontrolling is common both in sim and real life, try to relax and make very gentle inputs.

Then, when you're comfortable, throw the fat girl around nice and hard, she loves it!

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

The trick really is to stop moving before it moves.

A stick extension really helps for the Huey.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Ease your firm grip from your stick and try to hold it very lightly with tips of only three or four fingers. Be gentle.

Does your stick have strong center spring? Then it isn't good stick for Huey, unfortunatelly :huh:

I'm controlling her with G940 with this easy little expansion http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518, it makes a huge difference! And last, but not least, run a SimFFB utility made by "average pilot". Try to set a little less spring force and more damper and friction.

Edited by Suchacz

No everyone can afford to get real aircraft parts to play this game that would defo kill off a big part of customers.

Just posting to say i withdrawal this comment on the basics:

That if this is how the real HUEY handles or is close to as you can get at the moment then am very happy and changes would move away from hardcore sims we all love.

Also after thinking about it for a few hours, No one should make comments after doing a cold start then having a ten minute flight, It's great this helicopter is difficult to fly and in the end it will take a'lot of hours and training to fly this helicopter well.

Just like it would in real life, I was thinking to much with the KA-50 in mind and not that this is a new helicopter with a totally different handling aspects, Am very happy that it will take skill to fly this copter how it should be and players wont be able to just jump in and fly like pros after a few hours if we put the effort in we will get the rewards them who don't wont!

This brings a new realistic aspect to this sim.

Thanks sorry for coming off topic.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

Yeah I finally managed to get decent at takeoffs using trim to set up the controls ahead of time. Although my best hover was probably in the 20 second range.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I'm spending quite a lot of time hovering and slooowly moving around the airbase at ~3 feet. After a couple of hrs you begin to notice improvements in the way you anticipate the Huey's movements.

I'm still FAR from feeling comfortable in the Huey at slow speeds but I'm getting there.

What an amazing sim!

:)

How is it even possible for you guys to fly this? I can get off the ground hover for about 5 seconds before I am all over the place and that is it. Level flight is ok as well as turning and such, but when it comes to slowing down and landing it's always a crash. I feel that the controls are way to sensitive with my CH gear. I tried adjusting the curves but it's even worse, can't find the sweet spot. Any tips?

How is it even possible for you guys to fly this? I can get off the ground hover for about 5 seconds before I am all over the place and that is it. Level flight is ok as well as turning and such, but when it comes to slowing down and landing it's always a crash. I feel that the controls are way to sensitive with my CH gear. I tried adjusting the curves but it's even worse, can't find the sweet spot. Any tips?

Watch all of the training videos, they really helped me.

Another thing that helped is to not use the trim at all. Also try making your curves linear.

I have watched them already, everything looks smooth in theory. :)

Anyway, I'm getting the hang of it. Flying is not that hard, you just need to wave the stick like crazy all the time. I did a few circles around the buildings in Tbilisi - cool, very manoeuvrable, feels awesome, but my hand hurts like hell. Hovering and landing is a completely different thing. It's impossible for me to hover (sort of, no one in their right mind would call it that) lower the collective and set her down - either I have too much collective and climb, or I just lose lift and fall like a rock. It seems the only way to get her down is by diving in circles around the place where you want to land, slow down in the last few seconds to below 20 knots and land the damn thing like it was a plane.

Anyway, I am past the phase of despair and currently going into the "I'll learn it, someday maybe".

I have find it really sensitive on pitching up and down with collective increase or decrease same for and correction when you are slowind down so you really need control it smoothly and dont overract or you get the feeling it goes in all direction.. really need to be extremely slow on collective correction or it will start pitch up and down and it increase the rolling effect.

( i will decrease the sensitivity on all my control axis, including the collective ).

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

I have watched them already, everything looks smooth in theory. :)

Anyway, I'm getting the hang of it. Flying is not that hard, you just need to wave the stick like crazy all the time. I did a few circles around the buildings in Tbilisi - cool, very manoeuvrable, feels awesome, but my hand hurts like hell. Hovering and landing is a completely different thing. It's impossible for me to hover (sort of, no one in their right mind would call it that) lower the collective and set her down - either I have too much collective and climb, or I just lose lift and fall like a rock. It seems the only way to get her down is by diving in circles around the place where you want to land, slow down in the last few seconds to below 20 knots and land the damn thing like it was a plane.

Anyway, I am past the phase of despair and currently going into the "I'll learn it, someday maybe".

Heh, I know that feel bro. :)

I always knew that flying helos is anything but easy, and that Huey will be waaay harder to fly than Shark, but nobody told me that it will be THAT difficult! :shocking:

This damn thing is going all over the place, no matter what I do. But I must admit that my flight time is pretty low. I'm taking it slow and easy, no point in sitting in front of my PC the whole day crashing that thing, just to be tired and frustrated at the end.

It will take its time but one day, I will get there too. :pilotfly: