Combat Tactics. Fly to survive

Cowboy10uk

Hi all, as the Huey is almost with us. I guess it's time we need to start looking into combat tactics for employing on the battlefield. I have seen many posts on the forums asking what is the point of the Huey, as its just going to be meat on the street. Because it dosnt have flares, or a modern ECM suite then it has no place in our arena.

Well I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I believe that with some basic rules, and good tactics, the Huey will shock quite a few people, I still think that it is a valid platform to go to war in, and will still be able to handle its own, when attacked by fast jets or other helicopters. ( well escape at least. ;) )

So here are some basic rules for flying a utility helicopter in a combat enviroment, and a few links to other tactic posts.

These are very very basic, and I'm sure every pilot will find his own way to survive. I am certainly no tactician and I'm only copy and pasting what I'm finding on Google, so if others have better tactics then please post here.

Can I just ask though, please don't turn this thread into a long post about why the Huey or utility helicopters have no place in a combat sim.

Anyway lets have a look at some basic tactics, so we can all return home for tea and medals. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, in a combat zone, the smart pilot must deviate from the "standardization" of the infamous "classroom solution," even as it pertains to safety. Landing into the wind is suicide if an enemy gunner is awaiting just that arrival. Since there are multiple forms of combat scenarios, a simple set of tactics is impossible to devise.

Still, there are a number of tactics that can help protect helicopters from enemy ground forces:

Alter any takeoff and landing directions from known or predictable helipads.

Never fly a predictable or constant schedule, route, course, altitude, "race-track" or other any other identifiable or easily predictable flight path. That includes constant hovering positions, including "nap-of-the-earth" flight.

Never follow a predictable altitude or route, including rivers, canyons, streets or roads, for any length of time.

Evade any population centers, such as a town or village.

If these rules must be compromised, arrange for effective fighter cover and rescue capability.

In multi-ship missions, allow at least 500 meters between aircraft, so as to allow all aircraft room to maneuver without risking collision or restriction of defensive gunnery. That includes the basic airmanship of always turning, so as to view a clear spot, whether climbing, descending or staying level.

Vary any insertion or extraction tactics as well as those of support aircraft and their stand-off defensive coverage.

Be aware that helicopters have no significant surprise element, given their speed and noise. Thus, pilots must be aware that going into an unprepared LZ is extremely dangerous. This is especially true if the LZ presents itself as a predictable insertion point, particularly if a "pathfinder" is not used. One landmine can destroy a helicopter and its mission.

Be certain during night operations that a minimum of light from the ground - as simple as a trash-fire barrel - will illuminate the rotor blades, marking the helicopter as an easy target.

Never fly a mission without overwhelming firepower in immediate reserve, whether artillery or air cover. That includes rescue capability.

http://www.helicopterwar.com/

http://samlaunch.com/2008/10/top-10-tactics-for-simulated-helicopter-combat/

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I will believe it can survive.... When AI won't be able to fire thru forest anymore. :smartass:

Well yes, that may be a ever so slight issue with Dcs, but you never know what's in the future. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Good post. :). I apply some of these tactics in the KA-50 already. I have a one-minute hover rule and I shoot vikhr's, guns and rockets in forward flight if the situation allows. I've seen too many KA-50 pilots go down because they act like a static object, even ignoring laser warnings and muzzle flashes...

'Frett'

Great post!

I love these lower-tech aircraft because they force you to have to actually think about your flying and flight path, and not simply follow the magenta/red/green/blue line to the target, attack and leave like nothing happened.

Even in the modern battlefield, there is no replacement for good planning, especially where helicopters are concerned.

I too hope that the trees eventually become solid. This is a serious issue for helicopters.

Some more tactics:

* Never attack from the same direction twice

* Always fly off-target in different directions if flying multi-ship

* Never fly in straight lines near or over the target area (fly curved approaches using terrain as much as possible to reduce exposure time)

* Never do an over-flight first to see whether it is clear - use another, preferably faster, aircraft for any forward observations (e.g. FAC), and have them fly in from another direction

* Fly as low and as fast as possible near the target area - make it very hard for small arms fire to track and hit you

* Practice quick stops and transitions so you can fly the aircraft quickly into and out of an area without hanging around in a hover too long (also useful for escape and evasion - helicopters can turn on a dime and thus change direction very quickly).

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

:megalol:

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word...

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Because it dosnt have flares, or a modern ECM suite then it has no place in our arena.

Some Huey's do seem to have some flares:

hueyflr2.jpg

tumblr_mcgmgsCuMF1rpc8jyo1_500.jpg

So hopefully we might get some protection after all.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Some Huey's do seem to have some flares:

hueyflr2.jpg

tumblr_mcgmgsCuMF1rpc8jyo1_500.jpg

It's huge mistake to leave Flares out. With flares and ecm you can use huey in some very intresting missions.

Now 2 or 3 hiden stingers in town will take those hueys down. :doh:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not really, it was already stated elsewhere:

Our current plans for additional equipment beyond what is included in the beta version are limited to the Reflex sight. Things beyond that are possible, but I would not expect it.
And that means no countermeasures dispensers, IRCMs, RWR, or MLWS. So stay away from any missions where there's anything heavier than BRDM-2's 14.5mm KPVT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Well, door gunners will get it to the face :D

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.