• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, we will need that a lot :lol:

Thx guys, keep the vids coming :thumbup:

Definitely making up for lost time with the videos!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Wow another great Vid so soon. :) Looks like im gonna be practicing this one alot. :)

Added to front Page.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Is 80kts the speed for best glide angle that still maintains rotor rpm?
No, best glide for a Huey, is pretty much the same as for many other helicopters - 60 kts. But! It is also the minimum autorotation speed when over 7500lbs gross weight (bellow it's 55 kts). Therefore in practice it may be a good form to go faster, to give yourself some margin for error.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Hey!

Just wanted to say i'm still around, patiently waiting. Thank you Belsimtek crew for the recent increase in communication and media. You guys are the best (or worse if you ask my wife) thing that ever happened to helicopter flight simulation. Keep making dreams come true!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you Belsimtek crew for the recent increase in communication and media. You guys are the best (or worse if you ask my wife) thing that ever happened to helicopter flight simulation. Keep making dreams come true!

:thumbup:

+1

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• ED Team
Is 80kts the speed for best glide angle that still maintains rotor rpm?

for easy flying and increase maximum distance descending

Is the right pedal against the stops preventing coordinated flight?

Yes, for descending of autorotation you need move forward right pedal (full range of the right pedal is not needed) and create a small right bank.

Just had another happy accident in my pants. :lookaround:

Thx for the vid Furia + Belsimtek

:thumbup:

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

For Furia. I'm surprised that you don't reduce speed to 60 prior to the flare. As someone else stated that is the usual autorotation speed for most Helicopters as it gives min rate of descent and also there is then less speed to get rid of before touchdown. You don't often have a runway to touchdown on LOL.

I know that you didn't want to overcomplicate things but perhaps useful to point out that the increase in RPM with increased G loading (ie pitching up) and the reverse are temporary states caused by the "coriolis effect" on the blades. (Same as ice skater increasing spin rate by pulling their arms in closer to the body) In a Huey with the high inertia in the rotors it would be very easy to overspeed the system with harsh maneuvering. Out of interest, in the Chinook you have to use really large amounts of collective pitch to prevent RRPM overspeed when turning in auto. Two rotors systems means twice the effect.

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

• ED Team
I know that you didn't want to overcomplicate things but perhaps useful to point out that the increase in RPM with increased G loading (ie pitching up) and the reverse are temporary states caused by the "coriolis effect" on the blades.

Increase RPM after pitching up - not caused by the "coriolis effect".

Is an exchange of energy: kinetic energy of motion into rotational energy of the rotor due to the increase in the angle of attack of the main rotor (increased "suction force of blades element", this force spins the rotor). In general, this is due to the dynamics of the flow blades but not because of the "coriolis effect". He of course also occurs, but is so tiny- that it can not take into account.

For Furia. I'm surprised that you don't reduce speed to 60 prior to the flare. As someone else stated that is the usual autorotation speed for most Helicopters as it gives min rate of descent and also there is then less speed to get rid of before touchdown. You don't often have a runway to touchdown on LOL.

I am not sure where this info comes from. In 20 years flying career and with multiple types of helicopters I still have to see the "usual autorotation speed" golden number

In the helicopter I flying now the AW-139 the recomended autorotation descent attitude produces around 80 knots

Maybe you are confusing it with the speed of minimum rate of descent and this does not mean it is the "usual" one

Every helicopter have different autorotation speeds for a given glide ratio and rate of descent so there is not a "common" airspeed for all types of helicopters.

It is posible to safely autorrotate at 60 knots, that would give you a reduced rate of descent and more time in the air....however if for some reason you need more rpm on your flare you will not get them as much as if you had some extra speed to trade for

On the UH-1H model with composite blades that is the DCS UH-1H module the Best rate of descent speed is 59 KIAS while the Speed for maximum glide distance is 94 Kias.

In the real UH-1H Flight manual the Autorotation Glide charts use 80 knots as example

Anything between 60 kots (Best rate of descent) and 94 knots (best speed for maximum glide distance) is OK.

There are many conditions that make a pilot choose one or another speed. The most important is the rotor Rpm, the distance and glide path angle to the selected landing point.......

An one very important consideration, the more airspeed you have above those 60 Knots( but not exceeding more than thos 94 knots) can be nicely traded by rotor Rpm in the flare and this is a very convenient comodity to have in your pocket because in a real autorrotation if you make the slight mistake on your flare, on in the glide path angle to your landing point, if you miscalculate the surface head wind, ground obstacles, if you are heavy and have a higher rate of descent than anticipated in the flare.... having some extra speed that you can trade for some extra rpm (rpm = lift) that would mean the difference of being able to "do something" or not.

For this reason if possible, it is advisable, conditions permiting, to keep up some extra knots that you can trade for extra energy in your rotor in case you need it.

In the video we had a nice runway ahead and the proper conditions for an autorotation. I had not to worry about landing in a confined area so given the option by default that 80 knots allowed me to land safely and keep the extra energy reserve.

Surely if the conditions are such that involve the need to keep that minimum rate of descent, I can nicely do it. However given the choice I prefer to keep some extra speed to trade in case it is needed.

If the conditions allows you (rpm, helicopter weight, density altitude, wind and position of the suitable landing zone) I would recomend you keep those few extra knots in your "pocket" Maybe one day you will need them. :thumbup:

• Like 3

I am not sure where this info comes from. In 20 years flying career and with multiple types of helicopters I still have to see the "usual autorotation speed" golden number

Well in my case 40 years of flying, 20 of which was as a Helicopter pilot, 10 of which was as as A2 RAF Instructor at CFS(H) :pilotfly:

But I don't want to argue with anyone, just giving the benefit of my experience, which was that for ...let me see. 1,2,3,4 ohhh 7 different Helicopters that I was certified on, the recommended speed for the entry into the Engine Out Landing phase of an autorotation was always 60 knots. Incidentally the same in the Gazelle and the Chinook!!

Why at this agreed min rate of descent speed? Well the reasoning is that it gives you more time to judge the start of the flare and finalise your aim: both in speed of run on and final touch down point. If you start the flare at max range speed ie: approx 80-90 knots you have to get rid of a lot of speed. And if you run on too fast... well I don't know of any chopper that would protect you from a 20-30 knot impact with a tree or building.

The only exceptions to this "aim" was zero vis ie: you might not see the ground until you are almost on top of it, and then it was 35-40 knots, with no flare but just a last minute heave on the collective to cushion the touch down.

But of course the RAF might have had it all wrong. :cry:

That's all from me. I'll leave these esoterics to you current Huey Pilots and developers but I do look forward to giving it a go for myself in DCS.:)

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

My Huey experience was limited to abotu 10 or so flights as part of a Classroom/Military Dependent Program I participated in before I was old enough to drink,.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks Furia,

I found the Google books version of the operating manual and the Autorotational Glide Characteristics chart. With a ~5:1 glide ratio the best you can say is, you are in fact gliding and the impact point is in front rather then behind you.

I'm curious about the roof vs nose mounted pitot. Throughout the manual they are listed independently but I didn't see any mention of which was closer to correct or even how to get a calibrated airspeed for navigation calculation. So does kias stand for Kinda Inaccurate Arbitrary Speed.

the recommended speed for the entry into the Engine Out Landing phase of an autorotation was always 60 knots. Incidentally the same in the Gazelle and the Chinook!!

I think here is the key of the issue. You are mentioning the entry into the landing phase. I was talking about the glide path descent attitude and speed before that phase.

So I guess we are talking about diferent phases of the autorotation.

If you see the video again you will see that I keep around 80 knots until the "level off" before the flare. That gentle level off at 200 feet is what I guess you can call the entry into the landing phase but not the flare itself. Please correct me if I am missunderstod that

During that level off the helicopter decelerates smoothly passing through the 60 knots mark before entering into the flare itself.

On the video I made the final flare at around 30-40 knots and as you can see the Huey did not skided more than a few meters and contacted smoothly the runway so thos 80 knots on the glide path didn't forced me to make a heavy flare or use much ground in stoping the aircraft.

This 5 minute video is a simple, and basic demonstration of a normal autorotation with the Huey so the non profesional pilots could get an idea of how it is.

I failed to add in the video that in the event of a full engine failure and before landing you have to secure the engine, close fuel, call mayday, switch off batery. ;)

As you know the art of autorotation is complex and requires much practice and knowledge of the helicopter aerodynamics and that was out of the scope of the little video.

But I am confident that if our Huey pilots face an engine failure and lower the collective promptly and seek an attitude of 80 knots they are in the safe side to perform it.

I have a question for you because this has called my attention. I have never flown a Chinook and the heaviest helicopter I have flown was the Ka-32 however I found those 60 knots you mentioned pretty low for such a heavy helicopter.

I just happened to have access to the US Army Technical Manual CH-47D Manual TM 1-1520-240-10 and found out this there:

9-1-8. Minimum Rate of Descent — Power Off.

The power off minimum R/D is attained at an indicated

airspeed of approximately 70 knots and 100% RRPM

(fig. 9-1-7).

9-1-9. Maximum Glide Distance — Power Off.

The maximum glide distance is attained at an indicated

airspeed of 100 knots or Vne, whichever is slower, and

100% RRPM (fig. 9-1-7).

9-1-66. Autorotative Landing.

a. An autorotative landing will be accomplished after the

failure of both engines. Maintain speed at or above the

minimum (R/D) airspeed in autorotation with cyclic.

b. At approximately 50 to 75 feet above ground level,

apply aft cyclic control as necessary (not to exceed 2

nose-high altitude) to initiate a smooth deceleration.

Maintain RRPM below 108 per cent by adjusting thrust as

necessary. Do not allow RRPM to decay below 91 percent

prior to deceleration for touchdown.

c. At approximately 15 feet aft gear height, apply

suffucuent thrust to slow the R/D, assist deceleration, and

effect a smooth touchdown in ETL. The amount of thrust

applied and the rate at which it is applied will vary depending

on the wind, load, and other influencing factors. Maintain the

landing attitude, if possible, with cyclic and thrust until

forward speed has ceased, then smoothly lower thrust until

the forward landing gear touches the ground. Apply brakes

as required.

I guess you mean to get the 60 knots just right before the flare at 50 to 75 feet.

Did I undertood it right?

By the way I have to say I have the outmost respect for the RAF, one of the finnest in the world so if they did it that way that means it was well done. :)

Edited by Furia

@ Loz

G'day mate, I'm a former UH-1H and CH-47D driver (ADF) and we used 70 KIAS for both of those. The auto charts from the Flight Manual show a min RoD speed of 68 KIAS with the metal blades.

During Chinook maintenance flights the auto revs check was carried out at a speed of 75+/-5 kIAS.

Any extra speed gives you a lot more options regarding quickly trading airspeed for NR at the bottom. You can always 'wrap up' an auto to gain NR, but if you're low on both airspeed and NR at the bottom, you're out of luck.

The Chinook's NR was a lot twitchier than a Huey during auto, particularly when heavy with armour and equipment. and required a lot more babysitting with collective to prevent an overspeed.

Cheers,

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

cant wait must have now...

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Thanks Mastiff, Updated front page.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ Loz

The Chinook's NR was a lot twitchier than a Huey during auto, particularly when heavy with armour and equipment. and required a lot more babysitting with collective to prevent an overspeed.

- Bear

Hi Huggybear.

You're so right about the twichness, I used to instruct on the Chinook OCU and had to intervene many times to stop an overspeed of the RPM in Auto. LOL

What you will remember but many others would be unaware of. In the Chinook, if you did get the RPM outside the range of the underseat Vibration Absorbers then the seat would reverberate up and down so fast and vigorously that you could not read the instruments until you got the collective up and reduced the RPM back within the range. I can't recall now the percentage tolerance either way but it wasn't much and easy to get wrong. Not nice :cry:

Oh and by the way I served for 3 years with the RAAF 12 Sqn at Amberley on Chinooks on an exchange program. Had a ball but that was a long time ago. :pilotfly:

Hi Furia

Yea my memory must be failing me, as I'm an old retired B...er now. But even so the Chinook at 70 but all the others I'm pretty sure were 60 and yes it looks like we are talking about the same thing really. :)