Sights to see and airports to visit?

-Ice

My buddies and I have been flying out of Bantumi and Vaziani for most of our MP missions. I think it's time for us to move on and explore other areas. I've just had a "tour" of the upper right corner of the map, going through Beslan, Mozduk, Nalchik, and M.Vody... and for the most part it was a boring flight. Just a few rolling hills and then everything flat as a pancake.

Nalchik and M.Vody were a bit more interesting... Nalchik is especially close to the mountain ranges and would make for some interesting valley flights.

I was wondering if you guys have any favorite spots to fly/fight over in the current theatre? What's interesting in it? Any great airports to fly into as well? Looking for one with TACAN and ILS in particular, for training purposes, and hopefully close to some interesting terrain.

I was hoping to stay south of Sochi as most of the northern part would be "enemy territory," but hey, if we know his place like the back of our hands, it'll make missions easier, so have at it!

- Ice

I have been making missions on the coast and lately I made one that went up a pretty cool valley from Bzyb' ( follow the road that goes into the hills), and taking off from Sachi Adler which is located up the coast (North).

the valley is very long and leads over the mountains to the russian side of the border... there are little towns along the way too.

Another cool valley is where the town of Tyrnyauz is (about 60 KM at heading 250 from Nalchik airport). the valley is very long and wide... the side are 5,000 feet high at some points. fun for doing column attacks. I made a mission called operation vertical limit there.

I like canyon flying... adds a lot of extra workload and its fun to keep the bird's energy up to climb out after attacks.

Edited by jeffyd123

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

I kinda like the flatter areas for flying as low as possible but the mountains are certainly more scenic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I've created some missions in the mountain pass from Tblisi to Vladikavkaz over the Russian border. As you fly through this mountain pass you see some interesting towns and geo features. I really like flying through there. Airfield of choice is Vaziani. Road starts in Misaktsieli at L/L 415657/0444428.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49797&stc=1&d=1301882337

Places2see01.thumb.png.3116258a6d72206f5a46972c1696ae9f.png

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

hey strong... did you screenshot that in the ME or in the sim? I cant get any screenshots (including PrintScreen) in the ME.

You can prolly use FRAPS to get screen shots of anywhere in the game, including ME. :thumbup:

My PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core @ 3.07 GHz

RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3

GPU: EVGA GTX 580 Black Ops Edition

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Cougar

Track IR v4

I used Microsoft OneNote to do a screen swipe. Since the ME is part of launcher rather than dcs, you have to use PrintScreen key then paste it into an editing app.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Thanks for the tips, jeffyd! I'll be trying the coastal airports next. I've been to the town of Tyrn and yes, it was a "eureka" moment and then a "hmmm... inspiration!" moment.

Sarge, try low-flying but following the mountain's contours :)

StrongHarm, that looks like quite a flight. VFR? How long does it take?

- Ice

I used Microsoft OneNote to do a screen swipe. Since the ME is part of launcher rather than dcs, you have to use PrintScreen key then paste it into an editing app.

Ya it didnt work for me... I tried CTRL as well as ALT all i got was pics of the desktop (both of mine). Maybe Ill have to try running the ME in non FullScreen.

So you can actually get a ME screenshot with OneNote?

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Haha! I just did a flight through the mountains... this time starting at Tskhinvali and coming out at Alagir... I was wondering, was that the "Roki Tunnel" I've been hearing about from the missions?

Weird floating trees along some areas though, but a very interesting (if lonely) route...

- Ice

Sorry for further derailing the topic but in DCS BS printscreen would give fine PNG screenshots of GUI and ME. Are you sure DCS WH doesn't send the shots somewhere you haven't looked yet?

I have allways found that following the river near Sukhumi up the valley fun.

See attachment

Screen_110404_165921.thumb.jpg.77fe18d9ad5ca5078f90c0a04ed01233.jpg

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

-Ice, the Serpent's Tail (IIRC!) mission combines mountainous flying and a low ceiling. This will definitely test your low flying skills! It's quite a nice route, but evil in the bad weather :evil:

The hills soon open out to reveal the target area, but you have to fly back through them to RTB. I think the home plate is Viziani, but it could be wrong. It's a while since I've flown it...