Altitude readout - based on sea level or ground level?

-Ice

I was just wondering if the alt readout on the right-hand side of the HUD is working off of sea level or ground level? I think I just flew over a hill and GCAS was telling me to pull up but my alt reading said 2400 feet.

Is there a way to change this to AGL?

- Ice

It's notionally MSL, but you can adjust the reference pressure on the altimeter using the dial on its bottom left. I think this affects the readout on the HUD as well as the altimeter dial. If you change this so your altitude reads 0 at take-off, the indicated altitude will therefore be in feet above that point. However it won't be an actual AGL reading.

When you're below 5,000 feet your radar altimeter will provide an AGL reading on the right hand side of the HUD, above the waypoint datablock. You can also enable the radar altitude tape so you get a very obvious vertical line on your HUD below approximately 1,200 feet (IFFCC test mode -> Display modes submenu).

The TGP, if you have it installed, will also show your AGL altitude in the top right corner, based on the stored terrain elevation data for your current location.

• Like 1

IFFCC -> Display, thanks guys.

The manual is helpful. :)

This thing has a manual?!?

Lol, I'm kidding. I've browsed through that monster (I actually have the entire thing printed out!) but damn, that's just too much info!

- Ice