Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

The Warsaw Pact, particularly USSR and DDR,

as a contingency in case airfields were hit... though not to the extent of the Swedes' routine roadside dispersal. I'm not sure Caucasus in particular has many roads suitable for the 21 or 23 but since I'm a lunatic and will attempt to land the thing on any relatively flat surface, it'd be neat to see in a future mission maybe.

The Warsaw Pact, particularly USSR and DDR,
as a contingency in case airfields were hit... though not to the extent of the Swedes' routine roadside dispersal. I'm not sure Caucasus in particular has many roads suitable for the 21 or 23 but since I'm a lunatic and will attempt to land the thing on any relatively flat surface, it'd be neat to see in a future mission maybe.

I am not sure if its already in or if its coming in a future patch, but the landing gear on the 21 should get/have got an update so that its possible to land on grass too, like the real world counterpart.

So the 21 theoretically doesn't need a road :)

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

It's still a bit experimental, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Once it's fully functional it should be nice - but still a big difference between a nice grass field, and a ploughed one! At least, in real life. Judging by the DCS Hornet's offroading ability there isn't ingame :(

Many Viggen flyers enjoyed what you did on the Catch me if you can mission.

It would be a great fun factor boost for the Viggen community if the traditional Swedish road base system had to get implemented, as they historically were used in wartime.

I was personally stationed on one in my Air Force Ranger unit, and it was amazing to see how hidden the whole BAS90 system was.

The kneeboard rearming and refueling function works like a charm, but what is needed is for the Huey to be able to fly out 3 vehicles.

• HUMMER M1025

• AMMO TRUCK M818

• HEMTT TANKER M978

It will take a bit of workload and time from the Hilo side, but could be a fun addition to the missions. I tried it and managed to land 2 times out of 3.. bit hard, but always fun with a challenge.

NELLUS

If I understand this well, you mean if UH-1's deploy the 3 mentioned trucks at a road and the Viggens land at that road they will be able to rearm and refuel using the kneeboard?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Many Viggen flyers enjoyed what you did on the Catch me if you can mission.

It would be a great fun factor boost for the Viggen community if the traditional Swedish road base system had to get implemented, as they historically were used in wartime.

I was personally stationed on one in my Air Force Ranger unit, and it was amazing to see how hidden the whole BAS90 system was.

The kneeboard rearming and refueling function works like a charm, but what is needed is for the Huey to be able to fly out 3 vehicles.

• HUMMER M1025

• AMMO TRUCK M818

• HEMTT TANKER M978

It will take a bit of workload and time from the Hilo side, but could be a fun addition to the missions. I tried it and managed to land 2 times out of 3.. bit hard, but always fun with a challenge.

NELLUS

This would be great. It would increase playability alot e.g:

For blues:

- Establishing hidden fuel and rearm point in the midle of nowhere where location would be set at the blue side briefeing.

- new challenege for viggen pilots to land on heavy terrains

For reds:

- challenge of discovering and destroying those mobile armo/refuel points.

If I understand this well, you mean if UH-1's deploy the 3 mentioned trucks at a road and the Viggens land at that road they will be able to rearm and refuel using the kneeboard?

Correct, the vehicles have to be within an 100m radius of each other.

The pilot brings then up his kneeboard and requests the desired load out and fuel amount.

There will be a countdown in percentages on the kneeboard, followed by a notification announcing when ready.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This would be great. It would increase playability alot e.g:

For blues:

- Establishing hidden fuel and rearm point in the midle of nowhere where location would be set at the blue side briefeing.

- new challenege for viggen pilots to land on heavy terrains

For reds:

- challenge of discovering and destroying those mobile armo/refuel points.

The location would be vocally announced on SRS, which would encourage com’s.

The Road base location would variate every time, on the Hilo pilots discretion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct, the vehicles have to be within an 100m radius of each other.

The pilot brings then up his kneeboard and requests the desired load out and fuel amount.

There will be a countdown in percentages on the kneeboard, followed by a notification announcing when ready.

I understand.

There is a road base in Catch Me If You Can and When The Mountains Cry already if you haven't noticed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I understand.

There is a road base in Catch Me If You Can and When The Mountains Cry already if you haven't noticed.

We already used it a little. But it is known to the reds where it is, so with this new feature we could be mobile with arm and refuel, not respawn.

I understand.

The Viggen was made for this, with reverse thrust and extremely though breaks.

This road base method will most likely set the aviators back as an air force due to hardship while landing, but it sure is fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not sure if its already in or if its coming in a future patch, but the landing gear on the 21 should get/have got an update so that its possible to land on grass too, like the real world counterpart.

So the 21 theoretically doesn't need a road :)

I still can't beleive the MiG21 has a roughfield capability, but it does

Glad to see this is in the process of being added for our DCS MiG21 with the recent suspension tweaks.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Virtually all Soviet fighters did. It was a required feature. The reason the MiG-23 has such insanely engineered landing gear was to fit wide-track, rugged gear into such a slim fighter, with no ability to fold it into the wings due to being variable geometry.

Even Soviet airbases were extremely austere compared with Western ones - forget about FOD walks, the runway was often made of uneven pavers, unkempt grass and crap lying around everywhere, etc. DCS doesn't really do them justice.

Virtually all Soviet fighters did. It was a required feature. The reason the MiG-23 has such insanely engineered landing gear was to fit wide-track, rugged gear into such a slim fighter, with no ability to fold it into the wings due to being variable geometry.

Even Soviet airbases were extremely austere compared with Western ones - forget about FOD walks, the runway was often made of uneven pavers, unkempt grass and crap lying around everywhere, etc. DCS doesn't really do them justice.

If you look at them with satellite view on Google maps they look like no one has even mowed the grass since Soviet times.

Speaking of roughfield and road bases, SUNTSAG has made a quite astonishing

. (Sadly not RSBN, not sure if that's possible given the RSBN implementation in DCS)

Maybe this would help discoverability for those who don't know where the base is

Server's OFFLINE for 1-2 hours! Multiple missions require fixing due to latest Open Beta update.

EDIT:

Server's back ONLINE.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I'm getting rather low FPS (25-35) in the Prince of Persia Mission. SSAA turned off in graphics settings did little to nothing to improve it.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

It was Tacview that caused the fps loss. One cpu thread was max out with it on.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52

With all the annoying bugs the open beta introduced and probably continuously will introduce, wouldn't it make sense to put the server up with the stable version and stay with it?

No. That would only kill the Cold War community here and start a new one on Stable. That's something I can't do to all those who enjoy the server. Not to fail to mention those who donate to help me with the server's costs.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- BMP-2 and Bradley have been added to most missions as crates for Mi-8's and UH-1's.

- The Scud_B has been removed from the crates list due to bad script behaviour caused by it.

- The weather has been changed in most missions.

- Advanced options for All AI ground units in all missions have been optimised.

- Enabling the building of forward bases for the Viggen is WIP.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

No. That would only kill the Cold War community here and start a new one on Stable. That's something I can't do to all those who enjoy the server. Not to fail to mention those who donate to help me with the server's costs.

There are also donators who switched back to stable due to the latest bugs in the open beta :bye_2:

Also - I don't have the numbers though - what's the percentage of stable vs. open beta users? Im sure stable users would also like to fly on this server, maybe these folks are even more in number.

I do understand that updates for the stable version came very delayed lately, but seeing what ranting beta patches seem to cause, I wonder why the community has got so incredibly impatient for new goodies and think of open beta as the new standard version, yet ignoring the fact that a beta is a test thing and can include (severe) bugs. It appears to me this open beta thing has got completely out of control for ED, and they are taking fire from people who seem to think that open beta is in fact the stable version. Let's go back to stable and all this fuzz will calm down a little.

There are also donators who switched back to stable due to the latest bugs in the open beta :bye_2:

Also - I don't have the numbers though - what's the percentage of stable vs. open beta users? Im sure stable users would also like to fly on this server, maybe these folks are even more in number.

I do understand that updates for the stable version came very delayed lately, but seeing what ranting beta patches seem to cause, I wonder why the community has got so incredibly impatient for new goodies and think of open beta as the new standard version, yet ignoring the fact that a beta is a test thing and can include (severe) bugs. It appears to me this open beta thing has got completely out of control for ED, and they are taking fire from people who seem to think that open beta is in fact the stable version. Let's go back to stable and all this fuzz will calm down a little.

You got a point there. I was very reluctant to do so actually and was probably one of the last servers to switch to OB. And only because players were leaving for OB who probably only started doing that because servers started going there in the first place.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=277010

Some months ago an update for OB was released and it really killed the servers. So we all uninstalled the update and went back to the previous one which was "stable". So even if staying in OB you can still go back the line of updates and work your way around annoying bugs.

If only they all stayed in Stable. When I'm in the mood for flying some modern aircraft, all the servers I like are on OB. And the last thing I need is 2 DCS versions on my computer or the hosting machine. I used to have both on my PC years ago but no more.

Not sure what to say, buddy. Now that you're bringing an old issue back to life it does look to me as if the customers themselves (mainly the server hosts) are the ones to blame.

I believe the Singleplayer community is quite happy with DCS and they mostly fly on the Stable version from what I know (relying here on various threads regarding the matter).

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You don't need two separate DCS installations, you can switch one installation of DCS between stable and open beta:

In the Windows Command window, go to the DCS world/bin directory. Something like D:\DCS world\bin for example.

There, type "DCS_updater.exe update @release" to switch to stable version, or "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta" to switch to open beta. That's it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

It's really simple, even I was able to do it :D

Edited by Pilot Ike