F-5E update (Wags AMA)

RED

Wags says he likes to see the F-5 updated during this AMA: https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Personally I completely agree with that. As an aggressor it is "the" aircraft for the NTTR after the A10C. It is a lot of fun to fly in "Cold War" scenarios against the MiG-21 as DCS is not sophisticated enough to enforce a VID requirement in "modern" scenarios. You will always find yourself turning and burning. And it is also "beginner friendly" for people new to the Sim with easy to use systems and procedures.

What i like to see updated is the

including feedback from the plane to the pilot (I think it is the opposite of the F-14 in this regard). It is rather difficult to "feel" buffering or AOA changes in general.

The radar is simulated rather simple. I like how Heatblur developed the Pulse Modes for the AN/AWG-9. With the F-4 on the horizon I hope ED updates their pulse radar simulation.

The RWR logic and the gun dispersion was not touched yet by ED. Some cockpit textures need an update.

All these things would bring the F-5 back in line with the latest modules. Still, in its current state it is one of the well made modules for DCS.

• Like 3

Wags says he likes to see the F-5 updated during this AMA: https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

Personally I completely agree with that. As an aggressor it is "the" aircraft for the NTTR after the A10C. It is a lot of fun to fly in "Cold War" scenarios against the MiG-21 as DCS is not sophisticated enough to enforce a VID requirement in "modern" scenarios. You will always find yourself turning and burning. And it is also "beginner friendly" for people new to the Sim with easy to use systems and procedures.

including feedback from the plane to the pilot (I think it is the opposite of the F-14 in this regard). It is rather difficult to "feel" buffering or AOA changes in general.

The radar is simulated rather simple. I like how Heatblur developed the Pulse Modes for the AN/AWG-9. With the F-4 on the horizon I hope ED updates their pulse radar simulation.

The RWR logic and the gun dispersion was not touched yet by ED. Some cockpit textures need an update.

All these things would bring the F-5 back in line with the latest modules. Still, in its current state it is one of the well made modules for DCS.

I was hoping by upgrading it they meant in line with how they are upgrading the blackshark, by giving us a more modern and heavier equipped version, love to see this plane with more missiles. I really like this plane for some reason or another and would enjoy seeing it more utilized.

I was hoping by upgrading it they meant in line with how they are upgrading the blackshark, by giving us a more modern and heavier equipped version, love to see this plane with more missiles. I really like this plane for some reason or another and would enjoy seeing it more utilized.

Would also love an update on the F-5.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

I'm sure that if the Ka-50 paid upgrade part is worth it for ED, they will consider such thing for the F-5 aswell, maybe upgrading it to an F-5N standard or something as ridiculous as the Brazilian F-5 variant which supposedly can carry Mavericks :D

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

The Brazilian ones have all sorts of stuff on them, it would basically be a whole new module. They have updated ECM, radar, put an INS and GPS on, a glass cockpit, BVR weapons, targeting pods, you name it. That might be too much for an upgrade to the module, but an F-5N with the upgraded radar, better navigation systems, a center MFD and possibly a couple extra weapons (like Mavericks) seems doable.

• Like 2

F-5 is a cracking module, it does feel a little left behind in the radar part and it does lack some pilot feedback on the FM. But it's still good and it's a great pseudo-trainer type.

I humbly feel it could fit in with a BS2 type "uplift" with cost attached. I know not everyone feels like that, so "optional upgrade" would be my vote.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm very excited to hear this. The F-5E is probably my second favorite module right behind the F/A-18C. Pretty sure I still have more hours in the F-5, though.

I feel like there are a lot of ways they could take this and still deliver a quality product. F-5N like the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps now fly would probably be the easiest since it only requires upgraded comm radios, APG-69 in place of APQ-159, a single MFD, INS, and anti-skid. It would, however, still only be an adversary trainer at the end of the day.

XDoC6G1.jpg

F-5EM like Brazil flies would be the greatest capability upgrade, putting the F-5 almost on-par with 4th-generation fighters. It would, however, basically amount to a whole new module.

SlpNkS5.png

F-5AT like Tactical Air Support flies would be really interesting. It's, again, only an adversary trainer but comes with a variety of advanced systems. The spec sheet from their website claims integration of a HUD, HOTAS, IRST, HOBS missiles, datalink, and even electronic attack. The cockpit includes the seriously sexy Garmin G3000, too, and would make IFR/IMC flying and navigation far more modern.

Ds89oRXVsAALiC3?format=jpg&name=large

I think I'd personally prefer the F-5N, but I'd also be willing to wait a few years if ED were willing to put the work in to produce the F-5AT.

Edited by Chuck_Henry
Images
  • Like 1

I don't think ED will introduce another variant of the F-5. Even "just" new avionics is probably far beyond what we can expect although i agree having that MFD and additional radio would be nice in the aggressor role. I wanted to make a thread where you can point out from the customer side what the F-5 needs right now and not another wish list thread about F-5 variants.

It read to me like the F-5 was a personal wishlist item for Wags, not necessarily on ED’s to-do list.

Yeah a little FM and radar refining would be great, but personally I’d be happy if they just re-scaled the cockpit so it looks right in VR.

Edited by SonofEil
  • Like 1

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

If of all people Wags states he would like to do something, Im pretty sure its a little more then just a personal wish, he knows he cant say something like that without people getting excited etc.

I guess the only thing preventing it from happening really is if the sales of the Ka50 upgrade are not worth it, in other words they did not sell enough copies compared to the work they put in.

Also wishing and feeling like a module ´needs´ something is pretty much the same thing, in a different wrapper. The N-variant seems to be the perfect candidate for an upgrade the same way the Ka50 gets it; free textures and model upgrade, paid additional features/weapons/equipment. The Brazilian variant is most likely a bit too much of the good stuff.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I think upgrading it to the swiss F5E version Kev2go allued to would be the nost logical. INS and better radios. Id also like to see an older less capable f5e to represent early 70s batches.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Isn't that update only about texture overhaul?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Considering the huge number of bugs that we reported already 2 years ago that are still not fixed, adding some new bugs like invisible radar range indicators, I think it's safe to bet that this is not going to happen. Maybe as "early access" with even more bugs and another years of waiting for them to be forgotten

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

This would be great if it gets done. :thumbup:

That and sorting a few of the previously mentioned bugs as well. I doubt we'll ever see a modernized version of the F-5 unless a 3rd party decides to take it on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

The F-5 was my first module and the only one I flew until I went all in for the Mirage. If ED would update it as they're planning to do for the Ka-50, and give us a F-5N I will support them without any hesitation.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I would love to see an updated F-5.

Best case for me would be twin-seated version. Would also be nice to get the Photo-/Recon-nose and do some recon with this totally underrated bird.

Of course a refueling probe and the option for two Mavs or 2 more Sidewinders on pylons would be awesome.

Unfortunately the AGM-78 got rejected already. That one would be quite nice, also for the Huey.

And quite easy do make.

Alias in Discord: Mailman