• J-5A
    • J-6III
    • J-7G
    • J-8E
    • J-8F
    • Q-5III
    • Q-5D
    • H-5

Give me another Fishbed and I will buy it. I will own all of the Fishbeds. All of them. Especially a nice one like the F-7G.

As far as I know, there is no F-7G has ever been made. Because those countries which want to purchase fighter jets from China are either too poor to afford a proper J-7G and had to settle with F-7GS (cheap version of J-7G), or they are rich enough to get themselves some JF-17.

That's why we need J-7G :thumbup:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Billibilli Q&A “someone else will have to do Indian planes”

fair enough!

tejas is definitely something that interests me a fair bit, a modern cheap production fighter that tries to pull in the good from many places rather than sticking to a single doctrine

• 4 weeks later...
The J-8F looks awesome, was the design inspired or borrowed from the su15 ? Because they look very similar in their exterior

Nope. It is an evolved version of the J-8. But it did incorporated the concept of the air intake design from the MiG-23.

During the design of the original J-8, China wished to have a plane with BVR capacity. However, for that you need a bigger nose to put the radar in. But by having a bigger nose, the MiG-21 center body type air intake can not be used. And at the time China did not know how to design air intake other than the MiG-21 centerbody type.

For this reason, China started to experiment other air intake type. One of them is the F-16 style under chin intake. And the Chinese scientist started to design their under chin air intake. They first tested out on the Q-6 design. But the project was cancelled. The second one was the J-7SF which was a success, but the project was considered to be not very economical, since the Super-7 (early design of JF-17) design was far better and marginally more costs. The under chin design was finally perfected in the J-10 design.

The second air intake China tried was the MiG-23 style side air intake. China did obtain 4 to 6 MiG-23s from Egypt. And they studied it intensively for the J-8II design.

Nope. It is an evolved version of the J-8. But it did incorporated the concept of the air intake design from the MiG-23.

During the design of the original J-8, China wished to have a plane with BVR capacity. However, for that you need a bigger nose to put the radar in. But by having a bigger nose, the MiG-21 center body type air intake can not be used. And at the time China did not know how to design air intake other than the MiG-21 centerbody type.

For this reason, China started to experiment other air intake type. One of them is the F-16 style under chin intake. And the Chinese scientist started to design their under chin air intake. They first tested out on the Q-6 design. But the project was cancelled. The second one was the J-7SF which was a success, but the project was considered to be not very economical, since the Super-7 (early design of JF-17) design was far better and marginally more costs. The under chin design was finally perfected in the J-10 design.

The second air intake China tried was the MiG-23 style side air intake. China did obtain 4 to 6 MiG-23s from Egypt. And they studied it intensively for the J-8II design.

Thanks a lot for this very complete answer, I really appreciate it

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A late J-7 and Q-5 are really what I want TBH.

This generation of aircraft is what I am most interested in for DCS, as they fit the best for a few reasons. Also they are truly "red jets", and the community really wants some of those :)

Both would fit an 80s-90s set up quite nicely.

Lately we got lots of realtively modern stuff, but I really thinkg 60s-70s and 80s-90s are the way to go for DCS, systems/features are a nice blend of oldie and modern i those periods, getting reliable declassified info is more likely, and a nice balance of blue vs red is also more likely.

Q-5 is a nice attack jet with its roots in MiG-19, so should be fairly nice to fly as well. A later J-7 with characteristic double delta wings and bubbly canopy is a fairly multirole offering and a distinct cousin of venerable MiG-21. I can see them both catering to niches in red side modules.

Edit: as for the others, J-5 and J-6... well in their case I don't think they are different enough from MiG-15 and 19 to prove interesting. J-8, well it is OK, I probably would get it, but much, much prefer J-7 and Q-5 instead. J-8 is a tad too interceptor focused for me with little in the way of agility and multirole options.

As for the things that aren't featured in the opitons: J-10, like I've said I prefer to get some older modules at this point. Besides, I honestly don't see it happening. Though it's a cool interesting jet, I'd eventually get it. If JH-7 would be possbile, I'd be more interested in that as far as modern-ish Chinese aircraft go. I like strike planes, that's why. But I doubt that it is likely either.

Now, I'd prefer to get some Chinese aircraft but, I wouldn't say no to Chinese Flankers either, because we are very unlikely to get Russian ones, and I'd love a full fidelity modern Flanker. I just love Flankers, can't help it :P. Any of Chinese "indigenous" ones, or even the Su-30MKK would be cool to see, though, again, I don't think these are very likely either.

Finally, something no one considers so far: JF-17 is, in a way, arguably more of a Pakistani aircraft than Chinese. If other mainly Pakistan operated aircraft are possible, I'd love, love, LOVE the idea of Mirage III and Mirage V ROSE program upgrades in DCS :P Don't see them happening, but hey, a man can dream :D!

Sorry to post this like a year later, but from what I can find, test pilots think that early J-8I is at least as capable in dogfights as contemporary J-7 (with better acceleration and deceleration, better manevourability in the vertical plane but poorer rolling capabilities), and J-8II fixed the rolling issues. While it certainly has a main function as an interceptor, J-8 can dogfight... somewhat (in the sence that it's not the flying brick that mig-25 is):smilewink:

Sorry to post this like a year later, but from what I can find, test pilots think that early J-8I is at least as capable in dogfights as contemporary J-7 (with better acceleration and deceleration, better manevourability in the vertical plane but poorer rolling capabilities), and J-8II fixed the rolling issues. While it certainly has a main function as an interceptor, J-8 can dogfight... somewhat (in the sence that it's not the flying brick that mig-25 is):smilewink:

I wonder about G limits though. Based on variant on source G limit is either almost 7 or almost 5( http://www.globalmil.com/military/air_force/china/fighter/2017/0218/398.html), here it is based on altitude, which makes me wonder if it is like JF-17/Su-27/MiG-29 in being limited in G at transonic speeds

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I wonder about G limits though. Based on variant on source G limit is either almost 7 or almost 5( http://www.globalmil.com/military/air_force/china/fighter/2017/0218/398.html), here it is based on altitude, which makes me wonder if it is like JF-17/Su-27/MiG-29 in being limited in G at transonic speeds

Yep, as far as the data available to me, the Maximum G for J-8 is about 5, and for J-8II is about 6.9 if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this supposed J-8II model made by Deka.

If I remember, J-8F is the only variant with 2 wing fence.

If so, that means the model is already made.

That means we have high hope of getting J-8F

Китайская команда разрабатывает истребитель J-8II. В будущем команда хочет стать официальным сторонним разработчиком DCS.

attachment.php?attachmentid=155783&stc=1&d=1485512159

attachment.php?attachmentid=155784&stc=1&d=1485512159

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

I just found this supposed J-8II model made by Deka.

If I remember, J-8F is the only variant with 2 wing fence.

If so, that means the model is already made.

That means we have high hope of getting J-8F

If you go on their Facebook around 2017/2018, you will find photos of a trip to Topeka Kansas to photograph the remaining fuselage of the Peace Pearl project J-8 with F-16 Radar. Not sure how that would work as a module, but I think any J-8 variant would be very fun, wether it only has heat seekers or BVR it’s ability to go Mach 2 at 20000 meters should hopefully get a lot of people out of those low altitudes and start hunting around online fast and high

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

J-8 looks like a modified Mig-21 and it does not have interesting loadout options. Also considering it came out around same time as F-15, it will not even be able to compete in DCS.

Hopefully Deka is working on something more unique or interesting.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED