How do I use radio to communicate with wingman?

Matic_Prime

Hi,

I try to play the missions that come with the Viper.

However in those where i start from the ground i can only communicate to the ground crew or ATC.

ATC also works after takeoff. Just the wingman is greyed out (easy comms are on).

Any suggestions how to solve that issue?

Bonus question: How do i get the altitude info of waypoints in the Viper?

Thanks.

KR; Jan

AI are listening on "flight frequency" as configured in mission editor. Maybe it is in VHF range or UHF range. It depends on mission designer's choice. If it is UHF you must use UHF radio and the other if VHF.

With easy comms there might be a problem where it tries to pick the right radio for you but gets it wrong. It's best to check that it's working with easy comms off so you have full control which radio you talk on.

Here’s a pic of where the mission freq is setup for the Flight in the ME.

8E257C6B-3F51-4DCA-AC60-F37FCEF1D0E7.thumb.jpeg.5760311c5cfd6fda4349fbad09c9cd97.jpeg

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Here’s a pic of where the mission freq is setup for the Flight in the ME.

Someone please explain this to me - it says the flight frequency is 305. In all the missions, my wingmen will only communicate with me if I contact them on VHF preset #1 (127). Aren't I supposed to use UHF preset #1 (305mhz)?

run come save me

That is not my experience. I just made a new editor mission and wingman responds to commands on the ME flight frequency. I tried 305 specifically. He did not respond on 127.

Are you using easy comms? Easy comms does weird things trying to decide which radio to use and how to tune them. Contacting with ARC-164 worked while ARC-222 did not.

It's 127 Scofflaw, image 5 of 5. Not tried the mission. Just a quick look.

Will try it now, looks like a good mission.

EDIT: There is a trigger setting up this 127 comm it seems. On mission start.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220055&stc=1&d=1572242156

sland-style-Mission-card_5.thumb.jpg.a974892b29a74310d82856a54f6cffdd.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It's 127 Scofflaw, image 5 of 5. Not tried the mission. Just a quick look.

Will try it now, looks like a good mission.

EDIT: There is a trigger setting up this 127 comm it seems. On mission start.

Wow, I'm embarrassed. Especially since I read that briefing, but I somehow kept thinking it was 305 because of the mission editor settings.

Thanks for the help gents.

run come save me

• 7 months later...
Which radio has the greater range in DCS. VHF or UHF?

It would be better to use the greater range to ATC and the other to wingman right?

I can't be sure, but I bet radio simulation is only a rough simplification in DCS. Not even the radar simulation takes frequency physics into account in DCS.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Which radio has the greater range in DCS. VHF or UHF?

It would be better to use the greater range to ATC and the other to wingman right?

Usually it is like this,

VHF = Very High Frequency - 30 to 300 MHz

UHF = Ultra High Frequency - 300 MHz to 3 GHz

But in aviation VHF and UHF depend on the country etc... anyway those are the bands,

But for the range in miles you need radio strength in watts.

for example 8 watt radio will have about 200 miles range in the air,

while ships use stronger ones, 25 watts to have 60 miles range if they have a tall antenna

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, let's say awacs freq is 310 and flight is 305

If i tune in to 310 to listen awacs, from that moment on i can't listen and talk to my wingman correct?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5