FALKLANDS MAP

Raz_Specter

There are obvious reasons why RAZBAM don’t post here anymore.

Dont be a troll. I dont buy the products from DCS to microsoft. I then need to write in instagram to comunicate with??.:doh:

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

One of the main reasons I normally post stuff to either Facebook or YouTube is because its extremely easy and quick. ALT + Print Screen - CTRL V on Facebook, done

In order for me to do anything on the ED forums I have to first save the files then upload them to a hosting site, then get the link and then format a post with those links.

From 8am till 5pm I do my day job, then I start on the map after that till around 11:30pm then I head to bed, 99% of my free time is dedicated to the map and developing the assets. so time is very precious to me.

I will try and do better and try to include a lot more content on here also.

Going to have a little rant now:

One of the other issues I do face is that whenever I post anything, either on FB or here I get comments which are completely unrelated to the post, like " where's the F15" etc

This really irritates me. On FB I have admin rights to the Razbam page so any comments that are unrelated just get removed. whereas within the forums I do not.

But for future updates I will try my best to include some stuff on here also

Thanks Specter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

In order for me to do anything on the ED forums I have to first save the files then upload them to a hosting site, then get the link and then format a post with those links.

That's actually not necessary. You can just attach the pics to your forum posts, without uploading them on a hosting site.

2014382023_AttachPics.thumb.PNG.11547dbf3873126f55d906342162316a.PNG

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's actually not necessary. You can just attach the pics to your forum posts, without uploading them on a hosting site.

Yes I agree, however, the pictures are restricted in size some of the images I take are all in 4k. some are + 4MB

Plus the fact you don't get a big view of the picture in the main screen and users would have to click the images.

Anyways I have uploaded some more pictures to the initial thread.

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK Scenery remove update:

Just tried this and while it removes all of the buildings at MPA its still leaves the roads and also the runway / taxiways.

so will most likely have to be an additional map included after beta release without MPA included

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I agree, however, the pictures are restricted in size some of the images I take are all in 4k. some are + 4MB

Plus the fact you don't get a big view of the picture in the main screen and users would have to click the images.

Anyways I have uploaded some more pictures to the initial thread.

I'm sure it's much less of a hassle for most of us users to clicke on the preview picture to enlarge it, then to go to Facebook to see it. ;)

You're right though, that the file size limitation can be an issue.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

so will most likely have to be an additional map included after beta release without MPA included

Any idea how big the map will be in file size? Or is it too early to estimate?

I would think it would be quite a bit smaller than the other maps, due to the relatively empty islands and lots of water. That would make it less problematic to have two variants of the same map installed.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks Specter

You don´t have to, that would be the job of a (good) Community Manager.

You do what you are supposed to do, coding/ building the Map. Maybe you could have a chat with your CM?

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Few new shots on the first post (from Today) :) .

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The texture on the update look very nice, I think it does capture the "ambient" of the islands.

And planning to include a Map without MPA is a grate idea. i think a lot of people are going to be very pleased with that news.

Thanks again for the updates.

Few new shots on the first post (from Today) :) .

Looking good. It's getting there, you can see the progress pretty well on those pics :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Any idea how big the map will be in file size? Or is it too early to estimate?

I would think it would be quite a bit smaller than the other maps, due to the relatively empty islands and lots of water. That would make it less problematic to have two variants of the same map installed.

so the flyable area is:

1150km x 225km

:)

At this current state of development which is not finished by any means the map is around 12GB, this does not include the addition assets that will also ship with the map

Edited by Raz_Specter

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could you plot that out on Google maps to give a better idea of what the map entails?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

One of the main reasons I normally post stuff to either Facebook or YouTube is because its extremely easy and quick. ALT + Print Screen - CTRL V on Facebook, done

From 8am till 5pm I do my day job, then I start on the map after that till around 11:30pm then I head to bed, 99% of my free time is dedicated to the map and developing the assets. so time is very precious to me.

Going to have a little rant now:

One of the other issues I do face is that whenever I post anything, either on FB or here I get comments which are completely unrelated to the post, like " where's the F15" etc

This really irritates me. On FB I have admin rights to the Razbam page so any comments that are unrelated just get removed. whereas within the forums I do not.

But for future updates I will try my best to include some stuff on here also

Thanks Specter

On facebook, indeed some clowns on drugs do appear sometimes.

Keep up the good work!

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Not a mapper or programmer, but an idea to control the use/non-use of AB that weren’t around in the time frame (pre-82 for Falklands)...instead of using an overlay, could one put some trigger in so that if an aircraft tries to use the unwanted airfield, it causes destruction of the aircraft? The runway would still be seen, but one would dare not try to land on it.

That is what would happen irl if one tried to land on bare ground. Of course, the mission briefing would have to include a warning “AB (Name) is not useable”.

so the flyable area is:

1150km x 225km

:)

At this current state of development which is not finished by any means the map is around 12GB, this does not include the addition assets that will also ship with the map

Cool, thanks! That's indeed quite a bit smaller than the other maps in DCS if I'm not mistaken :thumbup:

So no San Julian and No Santa Cruz and no Rio Grande, onlly Rio Gallegos on the continent...

Having only Rio Gallegos would already be a great addition to the map, making it a much more versatile map than just having the islands itself!

Edited by QuiGon
Changed wording for clarity

Tornado3 small.jpg

For those of you much smarter than me, is there any technical reason requiring the map edges to be strictly oriented to primary compass directions? Also, Raz_Specter says "flyable", but that probably means fully detailed, right?

The attached image depicts the area. The rough extent (by my uncalibrated eyeball) of this cropped map west to east is ~700 miles / 1150 km. Stanley is ~120 mi / 193 km south of Santa Cruz's line of latitude. Assuming a north to south limit of 140 mi / 225 km, you could get get as far south as Fox Bay West or North Arm holding Santa Cruz as the northern edge. To get the entirety of West and East main islands, you'd need ~170 mi / 275 km while still holding Santa Cruz as your northern edge. That's what my orange line depicts in the image.

That said, the stated 1150km by 225 km is decidedly ribbon like, and just angling the ribbon could easily put Rio Gallegos in the lower left corner and say Puerto Santa Cruz in the upper left corner while squarely bracketing the entirety of the Falklands / Malvinas. Rio Gallegos and Puerto Santa Cruz are only 185 km by air.

I'm in no way representing Razbam, but I think that a 1150km by 225km rectangle could be drawn that captures the entirety of the islands and two continental bases (Rio Gallegos - Mirage IIIEA, A-4P, IA 58 Pucara and Santa Cruz - A-4P; aircraft types from wikipedia).

For sake of reference, I extended the southern edge far enough south to show Rio Grande. San Julian is 30-40 mi / 50-65 km north of this cropped image. These would appear to be outside of any hypothetical 1150 by 225 km box that held both Rio Gallegos and the Stanley.

Falklands-Malvinas.thumb.png.6dc55f3bdecb23115623c7c0304315d3.png

More mainland means MUCH more dev work, as it's not just about the size of the map, but also about the terrain and infrastructure that needs to be rebuild. The Falkland islands themselves don't have much of that, especially not much infrastructure, but on mainland Argentinia there is quite a bit of that, quickly doubling the work required to make this map :music_whistling:

Tornado3 small.jpg

I asked once if it would not be better if the Caucasus map were oriented along the Black Sea coast; ie the top of the map would be approximately at about 30-40°.

The answer I got was that it is not possible, because the engine doesn't allow for it.

Also note, even if landmass is included in a map, it doesn't have to be fully detailed. The original Normandy map had only the few airfields in England fully detailed (if you could call it that), while the rest was a very vague, indeterminate texture, which costs little memory.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Also note, even if landmass is included in a map, it doesn't have to be fully detailed. The original Normandy map had only the few airfields in England fully detailed (if you could call it that), while the rest was a very vague, indeterminate texture, which costs little memory.

That's what I'd do. High detail area at the three major airbases and low detail, even the level of Turkey or Ukraine for the rest of the mainland. Unfortunately in this entitled atmosphere even explicitly explaining that decision the buyers will have a fit if they did that.

I asked once if it would not be better if the Caucasus map were oriented along the Black Sea coast; ie the top of the map would be approximately at about 30-40°.

The answer I got was that it is not possible, because the engine doesn't allow for it.

And then people start complaining about the poor quality and demand more details, which the devs then have to deliver. That's what happened to the Normandy map.

Tornado3 small.jpg

90% of the Argentinian coast will be completely uninteresting with regards to the Falklands War. If anyone complains that the areas beyond airfields is not pretty enough, they should go buy MS FS2020 and have fun.

Who cares about such moaners who are not interested in what the product is offering, only to whine that it doesn't contain things completely irrelevant to what the product is trying to provide?

Let's keep our feet on the ground and not worry about uninteresting opinions.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1