Field Carrier Landing Practice

Gandalf_56

this was a reply to my wish I had asked on Wags Episode 9: CASE I Carrier Landing you tube post

"Matt Wagner

10 hours ago

If we include a map with an NAS, certainly. "

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

In this case its is not an arrested landing like you're thinking. This doesn't happen at the approach end of the runway. This type of gear is located at the far end of the runway and is intended to stop aircraft after a normal airfield landing that have a brake system failure. The Air Force uses this as well on some aircraft.

In FCLP, the carrier pilot flies the approach to a touch-and-go or full stop under normal braking.

Cables in LSMM are located at TDZ and are used for trap on landing, not at the end runway.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

We had the Navy doing FCLP's at Yokota AB (US Air Force). They brought a portable Fresnal lense and just set it next to the runway. We didn't have a carrier outline on the runway, nor a Naval style cable. They just did touch and goes.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• ED Team
First of all... thank you very much ED to bring us finally the F/A18C to DCS world

Now a simple question

Are we going to have or is it planned at any point in the early access or during EA period the FCLP?

Perhaps IFLOLS are not included at the very beginning according the FAQs but if we want to do CQ and follow the learning curve of the Navy pilot, this field practice will be a very nice feauture to include in the first stages of the Hornet evolution.

Isn't the whole point of flight simulators to NOT have to do simulated exercises like those? I mean, I doubt during sim training the pilots do field traps... that would be pretty pointless.

Isn't the whole point of flight simulators to NOT have to do simulated exercises like those? I mean, I doubt during sim training the pilots do field traps... that would be pretty pointless.

If you don´t wish for such an item to be included, that´s fine.

A fair ammount of people here do so however.

I take it everyone here is aware that the 476th has included a FCLP box in their latest iteration of Range Targets?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181232&page=8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wether or not the fighter pilots do it in their simulations is irrelevant. They use them as a learning tool, we use DCS primary for fun. And it will be fun to do FCLP and other practice stuff. I had the most fun in the l-39 practicing stuff with a buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not arguing against this in DCS, (it'd be a nice addition) but I imagine that an argument in reality against field traps could be considered a form of negative training, due to it being static, I suppose it could be used as a way to transition with seeing the fresnel lense and setting up for that, as opposed to PAPIs etc.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Not arguing against this in DCS, (it'd be a nice addition) but I imagine that an argument in reality against field traps could be considered a form of negative training, due to it being static, I suppose it could be used as a way to transition with seeing the fresnel lense and setting up for that, as opposed to PAPIs etc.

IFLOLS use Fresnel lens systems on land as well. Every Naval Air Station I was on during my Navy career had them. Jet jocks used them quite frequently when not on deployment.

i7-8086k CPU @4.00GHz

Mem: 32GB

EVGA 1080ti

SSD - 500 GB X 3

HDD - 1 TB

IFLOLS use Fresnel lens systems on land as well. Every Naval Air Station I was on during my Navy career had them. Jet jocks used them quite frequently when not on deployment.

Oh, well there we go. Thanks for that, consider me schooled; strong argument for it then.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Cables in LSMM are located at TDZ and are used for trap on landing, not at the end runway.

But our touchdowns are made way before the arretsting wire and the hornets pass over it with the landing gear all on the ground.

So many times I have been on the runway picking up the mess of strings left on the ground after that.

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

In this case its is not an arrested landing like you're thinking. This doesn't happen at the approach end of the runway. This type of gear is located at the far end of the runway and is intended to stop aircraft after a normal airfield landing that have a brake system failure. The Air Force uses this as well on some aircraft.

In FCLP, the carrier pilot flies the approach to a touch-and-go or full stop under normal braking.

Nope. not at the end of the runway. Right after touchdown. We have nets at the end of the runway

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Nope. not at the end of the runway. Right after touchdown. We have nets at the end of the runway

correct:thumbup:

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP),

Just curious to know if there is any plans to implement Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) on any runways. VRS had it in there super hornet simulation at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. I know it is not necessary because it can be practiced on the carrier itself. It might be cool for the hard core Flight Sim fans that are into the realism and all that.

A few RAF airfields have/had arrestor gear too and there are tales of Lightnings and Phantoms having to use them.

On this page there are some pictures of the arrestor and a Lancaster that has a tail hook and arrestor wire under the Lanc.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?75441-airfield-aircraft-arrester-wire-systems&highlight=airfield%20arrestor

There are more detailed images on the Airfield Research Group's forums too but you have to be registered with the site to see them.

https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/

RHAG (Rotary Hydraulic Arrestor Gear) are similar but are not as severe as carrier arrestor cable system. Where a carrier will stop an aircraft easily within a 100ft. RHAG will be a good 100-150m its a lot more gentle.

• 3 months later...
It would be an awesome addition to the ME as an Object, maybe under the Structures menu, that could be placed on any runway and consisting of the painted box with a functional IFOLS attached. :thumbup:

+1

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

We need Lemoore, Fallon, and we may as well go with El Centro, too. And at that point, they may as well put in North Island, Miramar and Edwards. And as long as we've gone that far with the Nevada map extension, enough of the Pacific for carrier ops off the California coast. And well, by that point, they should just go ahead and add Yuma.

yes, yes, yes, and yes...+1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3714627&postcount=53

As much as we need it , not gonna happen .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2