Open Source Joystick FFB / DIY FFB Joystick - Page 38 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #371
MetalGear_Honk

Hi
Thanks for the Formular. i will look into it as soon as i get back to my Test Lab.

now that we are making some progress:
has somebody else build a test setup?

MetalGear_Honk
  • The horrifying screams of singingbirds
MetalGear_Honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #372
Avat

MetalGear_Honk do you have any plans to open source your Force Feedback code?

I'd be glad to work on it to transfer the code for Arduino platform, so it can be easily adapted for non-electronics enthusiasts? I still have flashbacks of Atmega programming and dozens of wasted AVRs during beginning of my electronics adventure, and Arduino has huge advantage - it can be plugged and programmed with just an USB cable.

I have some designs for rudder pedals and joystick gimbals, but adapting them for force feedback is another chunk of work.

As software is about 100x more difficult than hardware, I'd work on it only when having working software prototype. No hardware first - right now I'm stuck with another project's almost 1000 USD hardware and no working software in near future. That's incredibly frustrating and I don't want to repeat this error.

Best,
Avat
Avat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #373
Avat

Oops! I've just seen the attachment on previous page!

Previous post invalid, then
Avat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #374
DBaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGear_Honk View Post
Hi
Thanks for the Formular. i will look into it as soon as i get back to my Test Lab.

now that we are making some progress:

MetalGear_Honk

You're welcome.

I wasn't completely happy providing it without really describing why it works. As well, my conversion to int was a little clumsy, so I did some more digging.

Unfortunately the original derivation was at
http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5784 but is no longer available. It is based loosely on a Taylor series I think; there is an explanation of an alternative method at http://www.coranac.com/2009/07/sines/ which makes reference to it.

I did, however find a different implementation already done in fixed point at http://www.console-dev.de/2009/07/06...ed-point-math/ It was only the low precision version, and had some redunant conversions, so I cleaned it up and it's attached.

Attached Files
File Type: txt F32SinHP.txt (2.0 KB, 51 views)
DBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #375
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGear_Honk View Post
I'm certainly keen to but have no idea where to start. Being a software guy I'm sure I have expertise that could well be appreciated but not being much of a hardware guy I'm struggling to even get off the ground.

I've bought several small motors and a number of potentiometers along with a few Arduino's and Teenceys and things. While I've been able to program the PCB's and basically get them doing as I intended I just couldn't find a way to actually assemble the test rig itself so never really got very far.

Since then I've moved into a small apartment and no longer have access to a workshop but if you're able to point me to a guide or something I may well be able to order parts online then head to a maker space or something. Basically I'm really keen to get stuck into things but am struggling to get off the ground.

Any directions would be most appreciated (: (:

Last edited by Slartibartfast; 06-10-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote