AGM-122 Sidearm - Accuracy (lacking?) - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #21
GGTharos
Veteran

... did they even have time to turn off their radars or even know they're being attacked with ARMs at the ranges that thing would be used? It doesn't exactly have a long battery operating time IIRC.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #22
RShackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
... did they even have time to turn off their radars or even know they're being attacked with ARMs at the ranges that thing would be used? It doesn't exactly have a long battery operating time IIRC.
Probably not, but maybe. Definitely not useful in the traditional SEAD role but for DCS it's all we have right now. I don't even think they were ever used in combat so no real Pk record. Seems everyone is basing Pk based off historical HARM usage, which of course includes numbers that lost homing due to radars going offline, which leads me to believe they should have better performance in game.

My guess is their inaccuracy is just due it being a WIP though, not designed by razbam to be bad, so can't be upset yet.
RShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #23
Robert31178

Well.....I can attest to this now. Tungs are back on the menu on our server and myself and a shipmate attacked one. We were getting the signal, and his radar was on the whole way the Sidearm was headed in - we baited, my wingy was high and close, I was in the weeds and trail. I popped up to about 7k in a zoom, pushed her over and fired a Sidearm. Terrain was flat where the Tung was, the missile sailed over the top of the Tung by about 4ft / 1 meter

~Rob
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:14 AM   #24
Shabi

RE Rolands, I launched about 4 Sidearms last night over 2 flights, took out 2 Rolands. Not bad. I knew where they were so pre-emptively lobbed a sidearm in that direction before it locked me. Seemed to work OK! Will try a more pop up style next time VS boom & zoom.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #25
whiteladder

Quote:
In particular they were able to detect the video separation of missile signal from carrier signal on the radar scope while tracking the carrier.

No 'metal particles' or other mumbo-jumbo. Let's face it, 'metal particles' have nothing on 'huge chunk of metal'.

Maybe you should tell that to Peter Davies , because on page 45 of his book "F105 vs SA-2" he says:

"Missile crews also realised that they could track incomming Weasels on radar, watching for one into a climb to loft a Shrike at them and then turn off the radar. They realised too that the Shrikes exhaust gases contained tiny metal fragments from its solid rocket fuel. These gave a strong enough radar trace to provide warning of an oncoming missile"

Last edited by whiteladder; 03-17-2018 at 02:06 PM.
whiteladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
GGTharos
Veteran

Sure, watching a launch pattern repeat is great and yes, good ole missile smoke did contain aluminum.

And watching the video separation is the real technique mentioned fairly often. But hey, I only look for real techniques, what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteladder View Post
Maybe you should tell that to Peter Davies , because on page 45 of his book "F105 vs SA-2" he says:

"Missile crews also realised that they could track incomming Weasels on radar, watching for one into a climb to loft a Shrike at them and then turn off the radar. They realised too that the Shrikes exhaust gases contained tiny metal fragments from its solid rocket fuel. These gave a strong enough radar trace to provide warning of an oncoming missile"

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #27
whiteladder

Quote:
Sure, watching a launch pattern repeat is great and yes, good ole missile smoke did contain aluminum.

And watching the video separation is the real technique mentioned fairly often. But hey, I only look for real techniques, what do I know.
Not as much as a published author it seems

He also states it in his book on the developement of the F-105.
whiteladder is offline   Reply With Quote