JTAC issues..

JSpidey

Never mind. I've tested FAC/A and ground based JTAC's from fairly close distances, clear LOS and it made no difference as far as type of JTAC vehicles. In all cases their laser aiming skills were slightly off. I used GBU 10's in some tests so blast radius was big enough to smoke the targets.

As far as the bombs picking up the laser "spot", no issues there (in my tests)

This clip shows 2 attacks: first JTAC decided to change the primary target (bunker) and told me to use guns on nearby fuel trucks marked by WP smoke. Second run: GBU10 against the bunker marked by laser. The biggest hassle for me was getting my TP to show the "spot", slewing and lack of grid input, etc. Unfinished TP is probably the biggest pain in the butt for me.

https://youtu.be/R3DwXcZBufo

I'm setting up an Apache like you did and see if that help guidance

Okay I have a Apache JTAC set up just north of the targets at 2,000 feet, it appears if I come in from the north, my bombs do not spot the laser, however if I come in from the south I get a solid laser lock.. will do more testing to make sure this is the case.

Never mind. I've tested FAC/A and ground based JTAC's from fairly close distances, clear LOS and it made no difference as far as type of JTAC vehicles. In all cases their laser aiming skills were slightly off. I used GBU 10's in some tests so blast radius was big enough to smoke the targets.

As far as the bombs picking up the laser "spot", no issues there (in my tests)

This clip shows 2 attacks: first JTAC decided to change the primary target (bunker) and told me to use guns on nearby fuel trucks marked by WP smoke. Second run: GBU10 against the bunker marked by laser. The biggest hassle for me was getting my TP to show the "spot", slewing and lack of grid input, etc. Unfinished TP is probably the biggest pain in the butt for me.

https://youtu.be/R3DwXcZBufo

Okay I can confirm it is a line of sight issue with the laser, when I come in from the west, every single time the bomb catches the laser, from the north, south or east, nothing, I however did get one solid attempt coming in from the south.. maybe I need to set the altitude to something specific??

Okay I can confirm it is a line of sight issue with the laser, when I come in from the west, every single time the bomb catches the laser, from the north, south or east, nothing, I however did get one solid attempt coming in from the south.. maybe I need to set the altitude to something specific??

Well from that video it looks like when you're running in for the first bomb run, the waypoint TGT is in front of the units, and the times they don't catch the laser the waypoint is behind the targets, if only very slightly.

I find that the auto bombing cue seems to be a little long when dropping GBU's, from any aircraft, ie the bomb doesn't fall in a nice arc, but more often than not it abruptly adjusts nose down once it finds the laser.

So I generally drop GBU's a bit shorter than auto-mode would drop them, those suckers glide really nice. Run in on auto-mode, when at 10sec till drop, switch to CCIP and pickle.

Or from 30,000ft, anything closer than about 14nm.

It's not pretty, but I find it a good workaround.

Edit: you can't do that anymore, pipper croshair now has to be displayed on the HUD for the bomb to drop, :mad::mad::mad:

2nd edit: Seems like there might be a bug with CCIP dropping atm.

Edited by jonsky7

Well from that video it looks like when you're running in for the first bomb run, the waypoint TGT is in front of the units, and the times they don't catch the laser the waypoint is behind the targets, if only very slightly.

I find that the auto bombing cue seems to be a little long when dropping GBU's, from any aircraft, ie the bomb doesn't fall in a nice arc, but more often than not it abruptly adjusts nose down once it finds the laser.

So I generally drop GBU's a bit shorter than auto-mode would drop them, those suckers glide really nice. Run in on auto-mode, when at 10sec till drop, switch to CCIP and pickle.

Or from 30,000ft, anything closer than about 14nm.

It's not pretty, but I find it a good workaround.

Edit: you can't do that anymore, pipper croshair now has to be displayed on the HUD for the bomb to drop, :mad::mad::mad:

2nd edit: Seems like there might be a bug with CCIP dropping atm.

Well off video I can confirm every, single, time I get a good laser track if I come in from the west, mavs lock onto laser every time regardless of inbound direction, but mavs have different flight characteristics. So I've come to the conclusion it's just line of sight in conjunction with the bombs flight characteristics.

I have another issue if one can help, I have 2 JTACS on my mission, I can't get in touch with the second one.. Not sure what is wrong the second one completely matches the set up for the first one with only slight differences (Apache vs infantry JTAC) I tune to the right frequency, get no response, but if I spawn in the air? I get a response, anyone have this issue?

I have another issue if one can help, I have 2 JTACS on my mission, I can't get in touch with the second one.. Not sure what is wrong the second one completely matches the set up for the first one with only slight differences (Apache vs infantry JTAC) I tune to the right frequency, get no response, but if I spawn in the air? I get a response, anyone have this issue?

I haven't tried that yet, will play with it later on. Well... after the "hotfix" for unreleasable bombs. Mavs work though. I vaguely remember flying a mission with 2 JTACS set up in 2 different areas long time ago. Someone else made the mission though.

I haven't tried that yet, will play with it later on. Well... after the "hotfix" for unreleasable bombs. Mavs work though. I vaguely remember flying a mission with 2 JTACS set up in 2 different areas long time ago. Someone else made the mission though.

Here is the updated mission with the JTAC that won't respond, let me know how to goes for you, like I said when I spawn in the air all is just fine but doing a cold and dark startup, I cannot get in touch with him. (Whiplash 1-1 137 FM)

Practice Flight.miz

Edited by ItaLiaNKiinG

Just flew the mission today and oddly enough, after doing the first JTAC and dropping 8 GBU-12's, I checked in with the second JTAC and got a response, however if I go straight to the second one in the beginning I get no response, weird...

Here is the updated mission with the JTAC that won't respond, let me know how to goes for you, like I said when I spawn in the air all is just fine but doing a cold and dark startup, I cannot get in touch with him. (Whiplash 1-1 137 FM)

I didn't have a chance to fly your mission yet but one thing I noticed yesterday when playing around with one of my setups is that airborne FAC (regardless of type) was less reliable. They always responded and gave me a 9-line with mark by laser but more often then not... they dropped the mark. They were courteous enough to let me know though :). It must be something with their occasional unruly maneuvering...

I always kept both controllers on the same freq. (133 am) with different callsigns.

Now, whenever I put both of them in Hummers making sure that no hill or any other "lump" gets in LOS they worked flawlessly.

I'm very happy with the Hornet's laser designator, haven't had any issues so far.

Edited by Gripes323