Speed Brake Depolyment

flyingfed

Since there doesn't seem to be an indication short of looking over your shoulder to eyeball them, how do you get to 40% open on approach as suggested in numerous places? With the TM Warthog HOTAS, I find it happens to take 10 or sometimes 9 quick "blips" on the switch to go from closed to full open, so I've been doing 4 to approximate 40%. Any better ideas out there? :helpsmilie:

Edited by flyingfed

Speed brakes allow you to run a higher throttle setting on approach. That way, if you have to do a go-around, you can retract the brakes and have more acceleration available quicker from the higher throttle setting. Most fast jets approach with brakes out as normal procedure.

Speed brakes allow you to run a higher throttle setting on approach. That way, if you have to do a go-around, you can retract the brakes and have more acceleration available quicker from the higher throttle setting. Most fast jets approach with brakes out as normal procedure.

Exactly. Most vids of actual A-10 landings, including a couple of command sponsored USAF Tactical Demo Teams at airshows, show this.

Most fast jets approach with brakes out as normal procedure.

I'd like to oppose that generalization - let's see:

- F-14: "A" yes, "B" no

- F-15: no (SOP seems to be to extend the board during flare or upon main gear touchdown)

- F-16: yes

- F-18: no

- F-22: no

- F-35: no

- Tornado: no

- Eurofighter: no

- MiG-29 family: no (older versions can't even extend brakes w/ gear down)

- Su-27 family: no (may be optional, seen used similar to F-15)

The use of extended airbrakes on approach is very aircraft type specific and mostly determined by the following factors:

- engine rev change capabilities

- location of airbrakes on airframe (ground clearance, airflow/lift disturbance, arm & moment effects of brake extension/retraction)

Edited by Shadoga