Before I buy - post WWII use

Gierasimov

I am thinking about buying this Normandy ’44 map as I understand I can use post WWII modules / units with it. So I wanted to use Normandy ’44 for A-10C operations and I’ve got some questions:

1. Where can I see official hardware / software requirements?

2. Who is UGRA-MEDIA company (any official website or info)?

3. What is the scheduled complete release date (since the map is in Alpha) – a bit of explanation here perhaps, I want to know if there is anything else planned for the map feature-wise, I am not talking bug fixing / optimizations.

4. Are there any SP users that use Normandy ’44 map with post WWII modules / units? Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks community!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1) Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Discrete video card: 2 GB RAM (AMD, NVIDIA); requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

2) no idea

3) the date is unknown as most of the times.

4) Sure there are people using it for SP.

• Like 1

Thanks, razo+r, it seems my mobile was not loading full product page, requirements are actually there!

2. Who is UGRA-MEDIA company (any official website or info)?

3. Is the map complete feature-wise? , I am not talking bug fixing/optimizations. At some point, ED confirmed that NTTR is done in terms of what will be there.

4. Could users (SP+Normandy+post-WWII) share their feedback, please?

Thanks, community!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

about 1) - keep in mind that published requirements are just copied from DCS 1.5.7 and therefore are hopelessly outdated. Normandy at the moment is much more resource hungry than Nevada and whether all the future optimizations and fixes will bring them closer together is anyone's guess;

about 4) - I don't fly post WWII stuff there, but I keep reading all over the forum on regular basis how chopper pilots like the map for their missions, mostly because of terrain & objects detail plus collidable trees. However, revised Caucasus map wil bring these as well, so how that will affect popularity of Normandy map remains to be seen.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

If you can play 1.5.7 on medium graphics with 50fps, you're good for Normandy.

• Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I've generally steered away from Normandy, awaiting further optimization. My Rig is able to fly just fine with 1.5.7 and NTTR. Normandy can be a stutter fest. (see my specs, noted below, since I only fly VR now).

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks for your feedback. I will save my money for other DCS modules I guess, exploring NTTR seems to keep me occupied after all.

If you don't have at least best or eq 1080 TI ...

I am completely satisfied with NTTR at 4k resolution and max settings on my 980TI, it's hard for me to believe that Normandy would kill it, but I will keep this in my mind as a warning. Ta.

I am completely satisfied with NTTR at 4k resolution and max settings on my 980TI, it's hard for me to believe that Normandy would kill it, but I will keep this in my mind as a warning. Ta.

It'll get better, via optimization over time. the 1080Ti guys are managing to fly ok. Please note, my comments are related to VR only. I have not flown Normandy via 2D and TrackIR. (I just can't fly 2D anymore with VR). ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

For what it's worth, I fly both maps with 1070, which kind of is a ballpark-brother of 980Ti, performance-wise.

1200p flat screen, trying not to drop below 60 fps. On Normandy It's very much doable with default "high" preset and in-game AA and AF turned off, but the average framerate is a couple of dozens fps lower than on Nevada, depending on location. Every idiot can keep 60 when flying alone over empty map though - the question is, would it run solid above 60 in 4K with lots of units and action around? Not sure about that - check the forum section of the Epson campaign with performance issues reports from the players.

There's lots of optimization to the map and the engine in the pipeline I suppose, but noone can predict how well the map will work compared to NTTR in a couple of months time.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I am trying NOT to be an idiot...

(...). Every idiot can keep 60 when flying alone over the empty map though - the question is, would it run solid above 60 in 4K with lots of units and action around? Not sure about that - check the forum section of the Epson campaign with performance issues reports from the players.

Thank you. As I am not an "idiot" as opposed to what you gently suggested I am NOT flying alone over the empty map - unless AI does not count as I do SP only.

I was thinking of getting this map while I wait for the DCS 2.5 and I am also not looking into doing any WWII stuff with DCS, so I don't know about Epson

But thank you for taking time chiming in.

I wish there was some information regarding my points 2 and 3.

Sorry mate, certainly didn't intend to suggest you were one, but that's non-native English for ya! Just wanted to point out that although the map runs quite nicely with high settings on flat screens below 1200p when flying alone, people report serious performance issues when there are many units around (like in aforementioned campaign). Some VR guys consider it unplayable then and that's even with GTX 1080 - class cards, I'm rather sure 4k on "our" 980/1070s would cause trouble as well.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

• ED Team

UGRA-MEDIA are a 3rd party developer

No completion timeline for public yet

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sure

Sorry mate, certainly didn't intend to suggest you were one, but that's non-native English for ya! Just wanted to point out that although the map runs quite nicely with high settings on flat screens below 1200p when flying alone, people report serious performance issues when there are many units around (like in aforementioned campaign). Some VR guys consider it unplayable then and that's even with GTX 1080 - class cards, I'm rather sure 4k on "our" 980/1070s would cause trouble as well.

Thanks and no offence is taken for sure. All good and understood I value your input.

I play SP almost always.

I find if you add much to a mission in Normandy, it really affects performance. it is all being worked on and I am confident that eventually it will rock. No regrets here.

I prefer the Caucasus or Nevada maps simply because I enjoy the hills and valleys represented. Normandy of course is relatively flat.

I don't regret the purchase of any maps but I hope they improve on performance some how.

I also prefer props although I own and Love an F-15 which gets almost no action anymore.

You can set up some very cool scenarios in Nevada on the flat tops of some of those hills.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Hi,

Noticed something with the A-10C and the Normandy-Map

TAD in centered mode (CEN), valid range scale values include 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 and 160

Maps (at time ?) only by 10, 20

TAD in depressed mode (DEP), valid range scale values include 7.5, 15, 30, 60, 120 and 240

Maps (at time ?) only by 15, 30

-

Kinda regretted the purchase, mostly went for it just to get collidable trees (which NTTR has, but so few that it's not worth it, and DCS 2.5 for it to be implemented for Caucasus seems to happen in 2018 at best) and while reduced performance compared to those maps was to be expected, it's at the point of barely even being playable.

At 1200p, most things reduced to a point that would probably be considered low or medium-low, and still averaging about 28-35 frames in a Gazelle at low levels, down to 16ish (!) in cities.

8320 at 4.4Ghz, R9 290X, 16GB RAM, SSD. Bottleneck seems to be in GPU computation, while VRAM is dangerously close behind. Guess being above recommended specs means nothing and it has just been copy-pasted across the board, because it'd require a very large amount of optimization for it to seem genuine.

*cries in AMD*

*cries in AMD*

My fellow AMD brother, do not dispair.

C0ff has said they're working on using multicore and threading behind the scenes.

When that future day comes that those changes are released, the Blues will fear the might of our fully operational battlest... optimised and faster-at-multicore CPUs!

Edited by Buzzles