The PTT button on the in-cockput throttle

Captain Orso

So what does this actually do?

2016-07-23%2002%20Control%20Settings%20COMM%20PTT.jpg

If I press the MIC/Push-To-Talk button while in a mission, it just seems to make a clicking sound.

The 'Command Menu' has to be actually set to a key/button on a keyboard/controller, so I don't see that there is any actual connection between these.

Is this in-cockpit button actually just as useful as the armrest? :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If you don't use the radios it is useless. If you use something like the DCS SimpleRadio mod, it is used as push-to-talk on the radios.

i7 6700K @ 4.6, GTX1070, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200

TM Warthog on Monstertech, TrackIR5, Lenovo Explorer, MFG Crosswind.

Errr.... It works perfectly as a push-to-talk button, when assigned in controls as push-to-talk button :D. After turning the radio on, of course.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

If you don't use the radios it is useless. If you use something like the DCS SimpleRadio mod, it is used as push-to-talk on the radios.

So, if you have a mod which looks at that in-cockpit button, it does something in that mod?

Errr.... It works perfectly as a push-to-talk button, when assigned in controls as push-to-talk button :D. After turning the radio on, of course.

I'm trying to get VAICOM v2.0 to work. Until last weekends 1.54 OB update everything worked. Hollywood said to try setting 'COMM Communications Menu' to <5> (not NUM5), and <RCtrl><5> to 'COMM Push-To-Talk'.

These are my current COMM settings:

2016-07-23%2001%20Control%20Settings%20COMM.jpg

If I press <5> I get the menu:

2016-07-23%2003%20Control%20Settings%20COMM%20Command%20Menu_.jpg

If I press <RCtrl><5> it just presses the in-cockpit MIC/PTT button and makes a clicking sound, and nothing else happens.

The Ka-50 have a working radio homing needle in his HSI, but lack of the PTT.

Ho have the bread doesn't have the theet huh?

If this button really "works" as IRL, and a P-51 and a Ka-50 are on the same freq. the needle should work.

Whaaa??? :huh:

--

The thing is, you cannot set the in-cockpit button to anything. You can only set a joystick button or keyboard key to the in-cockpit button, but the in-cockpit MIC/PTT button has to be associated with some kind of function, the same as flipping the in-cockpit 'Battery Power' switch turns the power in the AC on.

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't understand any of You, 'cause: a) I don't know what VAICOM is (but at least now I kind of begin to know what this thread is about actually); b) don't own Ka-50 :D. I was only talking about default P-51 radio operation, as it's programmed in the Mustang - the PTT button works there as it should.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

VAICOM is a framework of scripts for VoiceAttack, which allow the player to speak messages over a mic attached to the PC, and interpret them as if you had used the COMM menu to enter the command/request.

If, for example at the start of a mission, in which you start from the ramp, you call into the radio (the mic on your PC), "Lochini Colt11 request startup", VoiceAttack, using Windows Voice Recognition functionality, interprets the spoken words, and converts them into written words.

The written words are passed on to the scripts, which check them for formal validity. If they are a valid request/command, they are used to determine the COMM Communications Menu path to follow to execute the command as if you were only pressing keys--COMM Communications Menu -> ATC selection -> request startup.

Part of the configuration requirements are to have 'COMM Communications Menu' set to a known key (eg <5>), and 'COMM Push-To-Talk' to another (eg <RCtrl><5>.

Pressing either should open the COMM Communications Menu, but since the weekend before last update to OB, pressing <RCtrl><5> in my configuration (per default <RAlt><\>) (the COMM Push-To-Talk/in-cockpit MIC button) does not open the menu.

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Now it's much more clear, thanks for the explanation. Is it not possible to use default DCS key combinations for this app's scripts?

Unfortunately it's not possible, because, and this is fairly complicated, DCS does not use Windows keyboard drivers to interpret key-press events.

I have a German layout keyboard, a Logitech G11 to be specific, which looks like this:

KB_Germany.svg

The US keyboard layout looks like this:

ANSI_Keyboard_Layout_Diagram_with_Form_Factor.svg

Note the keys in the typewriter section of the keyboards to the right of '0', 'P', 'L', and 'M', how they differ between the US and German layouts.

When I go into DCS -> Settings (the configuration 'gear') -> Controls, and use one of these differencing keys, instead of showing the character on the key on the German layout keyboard, it shows the character on the key on the US layout keyboard.

EG: If I use the '#' key on my German keyboard to set something, instead of showing the '#' character in the settings, it show the '\' character.

This is a typical behavior if an application ignores Windows (or any OS for that matter) drivers and only considers the key-number being sent by the keyboard; basically using its own internal keyboard driver.

This generally works because what a keyboard actually does is to sends the pressed key-number to the system. The system must then decide what the key-number means, generally by passing it through the keyboard driver, which then presents the system with the interpreted character, or function-identifiers for things like the <Fnn> keys.

As long a the application understands and is prepared to handle the installed keyboard, they is no issue, but if the application does not consider other keyboard layouts, then you get this situation.

VoiceAttack/VAICOM however do use the Windows keyboard drivers. If I set 'COMM Communications Menu' to '#', and VAICOM gets a command to access the comms menu, it sends the '\' character to DCS, but DCS looks in its internal driver and finds '´' and looks for that character in the control settings, which is something completely different than COMM Communications Menu, and everything is muddled up.

If I use keys that are the same between German and US keyboards to set COMM Communications Menu and COMM Push-To-Talk, every thing works fine; that is until the 1.5.4.54855 update on July 15.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Well, a year ago the mic PTT button did open the radio menu too. There where even cases where the regular button did not reach anyone whereas the PTT button always worked flawless.

It seems they have changed something here if the button doesn't open the menu anymore.

It still does open radio menu, though, both in 1.5.4 and 2.0 - when assigned by QWERTY keyboard that is. If the QWERTZ causes problems, either in stock game, or with VoiceAttack, You guys need to point it clearly in bug threads, so that there is no confusion for the devs.

Whaaa??? :huh:

--

The thing is, you cannot set the in-cockpit button to anything. You can only set a joystick button or keyboard key to the in-cockpit button, but the in-cockpit MIC/PTT button has to be associated with some kind of function, the same as flipping the in-cockpit 'Battery Power' switch turns the power in the AC on.

In Ka-50 you can make your communication radio act as a direction finder. When AI talk you can see the needle deflect in their direction. I think it also works for human to human. He is saying that in P-51 when you hold down the PTT key it should produce radio energy which can be ADF'd by other craft (or it should).

Oh, okay. But in the P-51D we don't have any of that fancy, college boy stuff. For us AFD is After Flight Drunkenness Drinkingbuddies.gif

:smilewink:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler